• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    I had neck and back surgery and looking for a crossbow to hunt and self defense can anyone suggest a good economical one or a few makers? Thanks!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Barnett, and Ten point are good names.

It basically comes down to what you can afford, and what features you require. Crossbows can be weighty if that would bother your back.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    What about the crossbows with reversed limbs? I've been told that this configuration shifts the weight farther back, and requires less effort to hold up. Could be a major benefit considering the spine injury.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote for Excalibur, I have been very happy with mine. I like the simplicity of the recurve and got the Axiom SMF (complete set up) for under $500 in the off season.

chrisb

Crossbow Hunter
    Sep 25, 2013
    Just read this blog http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/, you will find your answer here. PS. this blog even suggest a course about how to relieve your back pain, so hopefully you would find it useful.

For good economical crossbow, I would suggest you check out a few entry-level crossbows from TenPoint, very solid and great quality, such as this one: Wicked Ridge Invader.

And there are other makers you should know, such as Barnett, Excalibur, Darton or Sorpyd, etc.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I bought this crossbow on a whim (for $150) last black friday and LOVE IT! No, its not a top of line crossbow, but I feel very comfortable shooting deer at 40 yards with it. Replace the bolts if you really get into it. But spending $135 for a crossbow with cocking device, bolts, scope, etc. is a real steal!! If you really get into crossbow hunting/shooting, you can always upgrade later. If you end up not liking it, no big loss.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/sa-sports-175-lb-fever-crossbow-package.aspx?a=959330

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I would skip the crossbow and get a nice compound. Bows of today draw super easy and perform vary well even with low poundage if need be. Crossbows are highly over rated and vary noisy and are clumsy in real hunting situtations. Ive had a few friends went with crossbows and switched back to compounds. Just 2 cents.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have an Excalibur crossbow and really like it. It puts arrows out around 265 fps. I have killed a lot of deer with it, extremely accurate. However, There are some things about recurve crossbows to think about. First, they are wide. Even the newest ones from Excal are over 2 feet wide. Mine is around 3. That can make it somewhat of a pain to manuver around, even in a treestand. I have fired shots and had the limb hit a tree or something throwing off the shot. The other issue with a recurve crossbow is its noise. They are just loud, especially recurves. To get increased speed from a recurve you have to increase poundage. The newer ones from Excal have draw weights approaching 300 lbs. Might be a little tough for you to draw with a bad back.

I recently bought a Darton Viper SS Xtreme. Haven't got to shoot it yet but like how it feels in my hands. Just as an example, my Excal, 175# shoots arrows around 265 fps. The new Darton, 180# draw weight shoots around 360 FPS. So a 5 pound increase in weight provides a 100 fps increse.

So there are some things to think about, and price is the starter. What kind of money are you looking to spend? That will determine what you can afford.

Hope you find what you want. Hope you heal good.

Vic

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I recently bought a Darton Viper SS Xtreme. Haven't got to shoot it yet but like how it feels in my hands. Just as an example, my Excal, 175# shoots arrows around 265 fps. The new Darton, 180# draw weight shoots around 360 FPS. So a 5 pound increase in weight provides a 100 fps increse.

My Excalibur Matrix 380 shoots a 150gr broadhead at 365fps and its not that hard to pull back due to the shorter limbs.

The new compounds are MUCH more narrow though, no question there! But if you cut your string, you can't replace it in the field, you need a bow press, with a recurve, I can replace it in the field.

Its all about personal preference....glad to see all of the new stuff coming out, just benefits the consumers.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Excalibur or Tenpoint, Stay away from the discounted (discontinued) Hortons. I have a Horton, while it works I'm not a fan, and no warranty. I have pretty much gone back to the compound, want to try the recurve more too. Today's compounds have so much letoff, some 80-85% that you only need to draw the draw weight for a short time. A 50# compound will kill deer fine. If you must get a X bow make sure to get a ratchet type cocking device. Otherwise with just a rope cocker you still need to pull alot of draw weight to start.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I had neck and back surgery and looking for a crossbow to hunt and self defense can anyone suggest a good economical one or a few makers? Thanks!

I'm in your boat. 3 back surgeries, including a fusion. Would love to get a cross bow but just too hard to cock for me, and it puts me in a bad position to do it. No back strength and an awkward position. Haven't tried the ratcheting thing though.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD

Jbbtwb

Nov 10, 2012
    Howard County
    I love excalliburs. You can change a broken string anywhere. There are great deals on Hortons right now. They are going out of business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom