• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fogman

On Tuesday I was up at Jefferson Sportsman's Association getting some pistol practice in. During one of my breaks I did a little policing of brass in front of the firing line(easy to do when you're the only one on the range). I came across this piece of .30 carbine brass. Someone almost had an out of battery rupture on his M1 Carbine.
    IMGP2944-1.jpg

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    i had an m1 carbine blow up in my hands once.

i dunno if you can tell from the picture, but it looked like the back of the round mushroomed forward into the bore. the above pic makes me think it might have been an out of battery detonation (if i've got my terminology right). kind of a scary day.

Attachments

• close.jpg
      close.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 943

fogman

Definitely fired out of battery but the case did not rupture. The round fired before the bolt was completely closed causing the case to mushroom in the gap between the unclosed bolt and chamber. There are also a couple of stress cracks in the bulge. I don't think he could have come any closer to a rupture. Reminds you to always wear your eye protection when shooting.

Great avatar fogman! :party29:

Thanks, I have it as a bumper sticker on the back window of my truck.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Woah! Close call! This is the reason I'm not comfortable reloading my own. I know a lot of you have the skill set, but I believe that takes years to develop--or some great instruction from someone who has those years.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Woah! Close call! This is the reason I'm not comfortable reloading my own. I know a lot of you have the skill set, but I believe that takes years to develop--or some great instruction from someone who has those years.

You should get into reloading if you really want to. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and the folks who have it are more than willing to share. I just got into it myself and the folks here were a tremendous help. Search the reloading section, lots of advise, very good advice, and knowledge like I said before. The best thing to do is read up on it and ask questions. The only dumb question is an unasked question(and "are we there yet???").

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

Not necessarily due to reloading.

There have been several threads about guys shooting wolf having the same problem. The laquer builds up in the chamber preventing the case from seating fully, eventually this leads to a OOB at a later date....

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The laquer builds up in the chamber preventing the case from seating fully, eventually this leads to a OOB at a later date....

Clean, clean, clean, clean. This was hammered into me by a crusty USMC sergeant in Gitmo about 1956. I was only nine years old, but that didn't matter to him. Maintain a safe environment, clean your piece, and NEVER hit outside of the black! Failure to do any of the above earned me the toe of his boot to my prone-lying and exposed butt.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    wow really lucky. Thats nuts Bro. If any of you are familiar with hap baker firing facility I wa sinvolve din an accident there 3 years ago where I was taken to the er where they had to cut my leg open and pull out a frag of the bullet. i still have it in a medical jar.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    i had an m1 carbine blow up in my hands once.

i dunno if you can tell from the picture, but it looked like the back of the round mushroomed forward into the bore. the above pic makes me think it might have been an out of battery detonation (if i've got my terminology right). kind of a scary day.

Did that M1 happen to have "Universal" stamped on it?

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I imagine Wednesdays are empty. Normally on a Saturday or Sunday I see 1 other person all day, unless its the week before deer season...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom