• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Hey guys, this is something I feel like I should be able to find the answer too but I haven't been able to. Simply for my own curiosity, are there still regulated long guns in Maryland? My understanding is the previous (pre-'13) list of regulated long guns is now the list of banned weapons, and those are still regulated now (registration required for incoming new residents). Looking through the MSP's firearm search, it seems that everything is now either banned or unregulated, so does that mean there are no regulated long guns that you can purchase? Thanks

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Am I the only one who noticed the large number of new members with like 4 posts asking questions about gun acquisitions in the the, oh, I don't know, last 48 hours?

Regardless, welcome fungus. Go to introduction forum and, well, introduce yourself. Someone more knowledgeable will be along to answer ykur question shortly.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Could be from all of the recent activity after Monday night. Lots of visitors in the last few days. I am sure some found this forum full of good things and could not resist joining.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Regulated guns before 2013 are now banned plus a few more that they have determined are evil. You cannot bring them into the state by registering them. They simply can't come in. The only way you can possess one is if you owned it in the state before 2013.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Regulated guns before 2013 are now banned plus a few more that they have determined are evil. You cannot bring them into the state by registering them. They simply can't come in. The only way you can possess one is if you owned it in the state before 2013.

You definitely needed to own it prior to Oct 2013 for it to be grandfathered, but I don't think you needed to be in the state. There was no residency requirement on the grandfathering.

MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Am I the only one who noticed the large number of new members with like 4 posts asking questions about gun acquisitions in the the, oh, I don't know, last 48 hours?

Regardless, welcome fungus. Go to introduction forum and, well, introduce yourself. Someone more knowledgeable will be along to answer ykur question shortly.
    I've been a member here for at least a year, and could have sworn I had posted in the past. Strange that it says this is my only post. Thanks though!

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I've been a member here for at least a year, and could have sworn I had posted in the past. Strange that it says this is my only post. Thanks though!

You are welcome here as long as you support the 2A. Of course I am not a spokesman for MDS.

Join us Monday, won't you?

Last edited:

MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD

I understand that you can't come into possession of anything that is banned after 2013, what I'm really wondering is of there is still a long gun I could go buy that carries the 7 day wait period? Not that it matters really one way or the other, just wondering if the waiting period only applies to handgun at this point.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I understand that you can't come into possession of anything that is banned after 2013, what I'm really wondering is of there is still a long gun I could go buy that carries the 7 day wait period? Not that it matters really one way or the other, just wondering if the waiting period only applies to handgun at this point.

Hand guns only with the exception of purchasing a stripped lower that if registered as an "other" has a waiting period.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    You are welcome here as long as you support the 2A. Of course I am not a spokesman for MDS.

Join us Monday, won't you?

Insult the OP about his original post, continue to harp on it for 3 additional posts, having never come close to even addressing on any level his legitimate question, then invite him to stand with you in protest somewhere on Monday. Does this typically work for you? Doesn’t seem like the best strategy :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are there still regulated long guns? : Yes , but you must have purchased prior to Oct 1 2013
    Are there still regulated long guns that you can purchase? : No

7 day wait applies to Hanguns plus "Other". "other" would be an unassembled receiver for example. Keep reading the forums and Faqs.

There are members here that are suspicious of new members. I know that the day I had a pool question, I joined a pool forum then asked my question. For some reason people here get suspicious of people who ask questions thinking they are an Anti Gun supporter looking to find information. Not that it has not happened. Generally, things go smoother if you post to the Introductions section as advised for new members.

MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Hand guns only with the exception of purchasing a stripped lower that if registered as an "other" has a waiting period.
    Makes sense, thanks!
    Are there still regulated long guns? : Yes , but you must have purchased prior to Oct 1 2013
    Are there still regulated long guns that you can purchase? : No

7 day wait applies to Hanguns plus "Other". "other" would be an unassembled receiver for example. Keep reading the forums and Faqs.

There are members here that are suspicious of new members. I know that the day I had a pool question, I joined a pool forum then asked my question. For some reason people here get suspicious of people who ask questions thinking they are an Anti Gun supporter looking to find information. Not that it has not happened. Generally, things go smoother if you post to the Introductions section as advised for new members.
    Thanks for info as well. I totally understand being suspicious of new members, similar things in the car community when a new member starts asking "where are all the street racing spots??" Haha. I'll be sure to post in the new members section.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

This is incorrect. A now banned regulated long gun may be brought into the state if it was possessed before 10-1-13. You must register it with MSP within 90 days of establishing residency

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What these guys said on the long guns .

Welcome .

Yes , we generally enjoy meeting people with an Introduction thread . But I'll admit I don't do Introduction Threads . Plan B for people like me is to contribute to discussions about shooting , handloading , collecting , hunting , etc long enough for us to get aquained with you before asking suspicious questions during the Silly Season .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Wrong.

If you owned it out of state before 10/1/2013, you can bring it into the state.

An early version of the bill read the way you state, but it was changed for passage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom