• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Why does the Army and Marine Corp manuals advise lightly lube with CLP if dunking or slathering in motor oil is the way to do it? Not trying to start an argument but I guess I am by asking but just wondering. Is that only for combat weapons and not civilian clones?

I don't know but imma forever lube mine's up very wet and it's worked for me. I see no point in running metal parts dry.....

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Everyone's M-16's worked fine? Then why are there so many stories of them not working fine during Vietnam? Could the lack of lubrication have caused any of those issues?
    Whether it's a car engine, a mechanical wristwatch, or a gun, anything made of moving metal parts NEEDS lubrication. Period. Just because you're saying you've never had a problem with a dry AR doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    I'll take my fully lubed "wet" AR any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wet BCG saved my rifle. Thanks to guy's like clad and many more who suggested that I sit it in a cup of motor oil. Prior to that my bcg was very stiff and wasn't firing right. After a few shots with the bcg wet it's fine. So I'll never buy that a dry bcg is the answer when mine's wouldn't work dry.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I was just informed by three relatively young men who are pretty experienced in modern war-fighting that if you dunked your bcg in motor oil depending on where your at you would end up with a (expletive) mud-pie in your lap and that is not a real wise decision and they recommended clp wiped clean and then reassembled. Motor oil as a last resort when no other option is available, completely wiped clean. The Gunnery Sargent then laughed and said just pick up an AK when you have to.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Ever speak to Soldiers or Marines about their issued equipment? Ever see the CLP they issue? It's not big enough to dip anything into. Ever hear about them using engine oil on beltfeds and such? Ever ask how they apply it? It's not with droppers or qtips. They pour it.

Im sure you are aware that CLP is used to simplify cleaning, protection, and lubrication into one product. It done NONE well, aspecially for the AR/M4. If you have used it on an AR or M4 and carried or shot the weapon extensively you will observe the same. It's a product to attempt to stupid proof maintenance. LSA was a better lube but it wasn't cold temp stable nor did it assist with cleaning.

The Military Manuals say to lightly lube? Care to highlight where in the current manuals? If you over lubricate as you seem to think is possible, tell me what you have seen happen to negatively effect the weapons operation over lightly lubricating?

If you lightly lube does any of the following get better?
    Easier to clean or wipe down for inspection?
    Less Malfunctions?
    Better corrosion protection?

Perhaps you are talking about direct instruction that some DI's and NCO's instruct subordinates to do? Overcleaning an underlubricating is a standard practice the Military has carried over from Muzzle Loaders, Corrosive Primers, and Bio/Animal Based Products applied to firearms that required such protocols. Those things no longer are necessary with modern ammunition and dino/synthetic lubricants.

Armorers will often mandate a weapon be spotless when turned in as well which means more cleaning, scrubbing, and scraping so the gauges can read properly.

Most consistently Military Manuals for the M4/M16 will give instructions to lubricate generously. Add up or measure the amounts of oil that those instruction say to apply inside the lower and upper via drops and via a finger application and you only get a marginal increase in the amount of oil applied when you dip the half of the carrier as I do. I developed the dip method to simplify a process that does not need to be complex.

You are wasting your time brother, your knowledge on this subject is superb. You probably don't remember the advice you gave for my rifle but thanks again!

I run it wet and wetter and have had nomore malfunctions.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ever speak to Soldiers or Marines about their issued equipment? Ever see the CLP they issue? It's not big enough to dip anything into. Ever hear about them using engine oil on beltfeds and such? Ever ask how they apply it? It's not with droppers or qtips. They pour it.

Im sure you are aware that CLP is used to simplify cleaning, protection, and lubrication into one product. It done NONE well, aspecially for the AR/M4. If you have used it on an AR or M4 and carried or shot the weapon extensively you will observe the same. It's a product to attempt to stupid proof maintenance. LSA was a better lube but it wasn't cold temp stable nor did it assist with cleaning.

The Military Manuals say to lightly lube? Care to highlight where in the current manuals? If you over lubricate as you seem to think is possible, tell me what you have seen happen to negatively effect the weapons operation over lightly lubricating?

If you lightly lube does any of the following get better?
    Easier to clean or wipe down for inspection?
    Less Malfunctions?
    Better corrosion protection?

Perhaps you are talking about direct instruction that some DI's and NCO's instruct subordinates to do? Overcleaning an underlubricating is a standard practice the Military has carried over from Muzzle Loaders, Corrosive Primers, and Bio/Animal Based Products applied to firearms that required such protocols. Those things no longer are necessary with modern ammunition and dino/synthetic lubricants.

Armorers will often mandate a weapon be spotless when turned in as well which means more cleaning, scrubbing, and scraping so the gauges can read properly.

Most consistently Military Manuals for the M4/M16 will give instructions to lubricate generously. Add up or measure the amounts of oil that those instruction say to apply inside the lower and upper via drops and via a finger application and you only get a marginal increase in the amount of oil applied when you dip the half of the carrier as I do. I developed the dip method to simplify a process that does not need to be complex.
    Whoa big fella, I just talked to some. They're at the Sharptown carnival right now getting some soft crab sandwiches and oyster fritters. Just left the house.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I was just informed by three relatively young men who are pretty experienced in modern war-fighting that if you dunked your bcg in motor oil depending on where your at you would end up with a (expletive) mud-pie in your lap and that is not a real wise decision and they recommended clp wiped clean and then reassembled. Motor oil as a last resort when no other option is available, completely wiped clean. The Gunnery Sargent then laughed and said just pick up an AK when you have to.

I haven't had a mud pie in my lap yet..... My AR runs fine sfter being dipped in oil. Dude it's METAL on METAL. How could oil be a bad thing on a rifle but absolutely necessary for engine's?

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Whoa big fella, I just talked to some. They're at the Sharptown carnival right now getting some soft crab sandwiches and oyster fritters. Just left the house.

Your going off of second hand information that may or may not exist, verses a guy whose been there done that a thousand time's. He knows what he's talking about.

People bashed the M16 back in nam for being unreliable, and now we know why...... If they were being ran dry then that explains why they were unreliable imo.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

They have been taught incorrectly. Thankfully it has not gotten them harmed.

They are right about one thing. Fouled oil does look like black mud.

They are wrong about that "mud" being a problem, especially when compared to light lubrication.

The AK comment proves their ignorance on the subject. If they actually worked on them and used them, they would know the Soviet Style Propaganda about them is far from reality. The US Army tested AK's extensively and found the weapon did not exceed the performance of the M16. The documentation is over 40 years old.

Talk to people that trained other people with AK's overseas and they will tell you how easy they are deadlined with broken parts. Talk to the Armorers that had to maintain them compared to an M4. There is no comparison. AK's are for consrcipts, not professional warfighters.

If one prefers and AK, fine, but AK's need lubricant too and they also work better wet when contaminents get in the weapon.

They can be good warriors but they are mistaken on how to keep their weapon working at optimal performance.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm really pissed now, they took my lighter, so I'm going down there now, Ill let them know what the internet warriors recommend. No on second thought I wont, because I don't want to embarrass myself by even questioning their integrity and dedication to our country. Ill just make sure they get a ride to a safe place like the Legion when they're done drinking.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ill head on down there and tell them they're wrong.

I'm up for a challenge if money and a streaming video is involved.

We can have a shoot off with their own AR and mine. Ill lube to my standard and they can lube to theirs.

Then we'll put them in sand and mud.

The gun that malfunctions becomes the other competitors.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yea, I'm just going to sit here all nonchalant and eat my popcorn and drink my soda...

giphy.gif

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You guys dont get it! what do you mean theyre ignorance on lubrication! HARMED? just stop.

Did you read what I said? I said thankfully the bad M4 maintenenace they were taught has NOT gotten them harmed. It certainly can and I pray that does not happen.

I said they can be fantastic warriors but mistaken on proper maintenance.

My son is in the service. I told him to do things like he is told, but when he deploys to maintain his weapon properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom