• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I wish that were true. Carry in national parks is up to the laws of the state it is in. For example, to carry in Acadia you have to have a Maine permit. Maryland law states specifically no carry in State or Federal parks even if you have an unrestricted W&C permit.

State parks are a no go. National parks in MD are a go go.

Now where is Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers when you need him?

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    I plan to open carry next October when we visit Rocky Mountain Park, CO. Colorado has open carry.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    State parks are a no go. National parks in MD are a go go.

Now where is Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers when you need him?

What rank stupidity. Pure hoplophobia. What's the police response time in a state park vs your average city (if your cell phone even has reception)? (rhetorical)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I wish that were true. Carry in national parks is up to the laws of the state it is in. For example, to carry in Acadia you have to have a Maine permit. Maryland law states specifically no carry in State or Federal parks even if you have an unrestricted W&C permit.
    Maryland can't regulate federal/national parks. But you are correct about state parks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

can you provide the cite that prohibits carry in National Parks? how can MD law cover Federal property?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    And as far as I know, the park service can't enforce state law, so it would be some federal charge in federal court.
    Incorrect. National Parks enforce state law through assimilation under 36 CFR 4.2
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/36/4.2
    There is NO Federal law prohibiting CCW. The Federal statute says state law where the park is located applies.

As Boundless mentioned, stay out of Federal buildings where Federal employees are regularly present, like visitor centers and/or concession areas.

bathrooms are ok
    Correct. Under the Credit Card Act of 2009(it was a rider), National Parks assimilate the state gun laws of the state the park is located in. In the case of a National Park that is in two different states, each section of park in the different states enforces that state's gun laws. Stay on the PA side of the Delaware water gap.
    The 2009 act does not override 18 usc 930. One is still not allowed to carry a firearm in a federal facility regularly occupied by federal employees.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_CARD_Act_of_2009
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/USCODE-2011-title18/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec930/content-detail.html

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Incorrect. National Parks enforce state law through assimilation under 36 CFR 4.2
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/36/4.2

Correct. Under the Credit Card Act of 2009(it was a rider), National Parks assimilate the state gun laws of the state the park is located in. In the case of a National Park that is in two different states, each section of park in the different states enforces that state's gun laws. Stay on the PA side of the Delaware water gap.
    The 2009 act does not override 18 usc 930. One is still not allowed to carry a firearm in a federal facility regularly occupied by federal employees.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_CARD_Act_of_2009
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/USCODE-2011-title18/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec930/content-detail.html

thank you!!!!!! was trying to remember the act that does this for federal enclaves within states. tried to google it but didnt remember the name until your post and it was driving me crazy trying to remember.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    What is a national parks card?
    It's a card people with disabilities get that get them in free.

It's been awhile since I've looked into this, but years ago I was told by a ranger that in his opinion it wasn't safe to go into areas with bears and other dangerous animals without a gun (he recommended a .357). He told me he wasn't advocating anything, but that if I carried a gun, to keep it well concealed, don't drink or smoke dope and to keep my nose clean.

Since then, the law has changed so that if one has a CCW permit in Virginia, one can carry in a national park in Virginia. BUT not Maryland. Only if you have a permit in Maryland. So I'm thinking about getting a Virginia permit and then vacationing in Virginia (I already buy my gas there). So no laws would be broken.

It used to be a misdemeanor for carrying a gun illegally in most places. Now it's a felony. In Maryland, I reckon we need to stick to bear spray.

BTW, what's a W&C permit?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    TMD99 » ...each section of park in the different states enforces that state's gun laws.

So the Park Service does enforce state laws.

And since open carry is permitted in Virginia, can one open carry in Virginia national parks?

Where does one get a W&C permit? Is this the same as a CCW permit?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Federal Govt does not enforce state gun law. The Federal law becomes whatever the state's law is.

If a state allows unlicensed OC, then it's legal in the NP located in that state.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom