• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This may have been asked before. How is SB 281 going to effect C&R?

Doesn't.

Pretty much everything in SB281 has no effect on any FFL, no matter what the number ... makes me suspect this is not accidental; that they actually do fear loosing a lawsuit over something that's already federally regulated/controlled.

Jul 1, 2012
    But won't SB281 still affect the mag capacity, regardless of using your FFL-03 to obtain a firearm with a > 10 mag? For instance, won't 15 rd M1 carbine mags, 13+ High Power, etc. be verboten to transfer when you buy or sell the gun? Which will typically reduce value, sometimes significantly.

A WWII-era High Power without it's properly marked mag is sad indeed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    But won't SB281 still affect the mag capacity, regardless of using your FFL-03 to obtain a firearm with a > 10 mag? For instance, won't 15 rd M1 carbine mags, 13+ High Power, etc. be verboten to transfer when you buy or sell the gun? Which will typically reduce value, sometimes significantly.

A WWII-era High Power without it's properly marked mag is sad indeed.

Not if you pick it up in person out of state.

Jul 1, 2012
    Not if you pick it up in person out of state.

Understood. But the big advantage of the C&R is I can buy a WWII High Power (sticking with what I know here) with it's original Waffenamt-marked magazine from say, Arizona, and have it shipped direct. I think after the "Safety Act" goes into place, that will no longer be possible. One of two things will happen: 1) The person simply refuses to send a "high-capacity" firearm to MD 2) It gets sent without the magazine, and there goes $300-$400 of value

As much as I'd like to have that original mag, I'm not driving out to Arizona to get it :)

If I wanted to sell/trade that same gun I would have to go out of state to a show or something. If selling it on GB or similar it would have to go without the mag (loss of value). Technically.

Alls I'm saying is there may be some secondary fallout. Some (a lot?) people out there may refuse to send C&R to MD period (especially handguns) either due to not understanding that C&R is exempt from the HQL and other restrictions, or because they don't want to send a gun without the magazine. Trying to explain the ins and outs of this pile of poo to someone else may not be easy, especially since I'm not sure I really understand it myself.

Time will tell I suppose. Maybe they'll overturn it :lol:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How about getting them shipped to a UPS store box in VA...is there anything wrong with that??

you can open a post office box in a surrounding state.

Discussed over and over in other threads; completely illegal. Closer to legal would be to have someone else purchase the mag ... purchasing mags with higher than MD legal capacity starts with where you sit, not where they will be shipped.

If this is the only type gun you are interested in, you might better buy all you can get now and forget about renewing.

Jul 1, 2012
    If this is the only type gun you are interested in, you might better buy all you can get now and forget about renewing.

Unfortunately the first part is probably true. No matter how you slice it though the C&R is still an excellent deal, will avoid 90% of the future hassles, & is the best $30 I ever spent. Fortunately most of the handguns that I collect are well in the limits :) But a lot of the battle rifles, eh, not so good (Reisings, M1 carbines, etc).

It just sucks that an arbitrary rule pretty much puts the kabosh on a collecting activity (and in some ways potentially decreases value of a collection).

Back to the regularly scheduled programming ...

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    An enterprising individual right over the border in VA, like in McLean, could probably do a sizable business in receiving magazine shipments for others to pick up. Sorta like a low volume UPS store. One would have to talk sellers into splitting shipments though.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Discussed over and over in other threads; completely illegal. Closer to legal would be to have someone else purchase the mag ... purchasing mags with higher than MD legal capacity starts with where you sit, not where they will be shipped.

so go across the border when you pay via money order or with your phone/ laptop etc. purchase was made out of state and sent to an out of state address, md has no jurisdiction.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    so go across the border when you pay via money order or with your phone/ laptop etc. purchase was made out of state and sent to an out of state address, md has no jurisdiction.

Well I should have said "where your card is billed" ... if you can get an out of state billed card and do the above, it would be sort of legal ... but then it would seem just as easy to just pick up the mags out of state, wouldn't it?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    you can still pay by money order [I would keep the out of state Post office receipt] Almost everyone on gunbroker will accept USPS money orders which can be bought with any debit card at your local post office.
    Also, it can be hard to find a particular mag just by hopping the border. I have gotten lucky at the Virginia beach gun show before, but if you were looking for say, an AA 30 rnd aluminum saiga 12 drum or a rare luger mag, you are unlikely to find such a rare mag at your local gun store or show.

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    My paperwork packet came yesterday, so full timeline now:

Mailed 5/8
    CC charged 5/13
    License Arrived 6/6
    Paperwork packet Arrived 6/12

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Please elaborate on how this is illegal if you take possession of the item outside of the state.

It matters where you pay for it; the whole transaction must take place out of state. If any part of the transaction is in MD, it is in MD.

Just buy out of state and be done with it, stop trying to figure out a 'scheme' ... the only scheme is to obey the law and simply conduct the entire transaction out of state.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Shipping Question: If I take a trip to Texas and buy a C&R Pistol, can I just ship it to myself here in MD? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but want to know if anyone else has done this?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom