Dynamic "One" gun matches (5.56 carbine)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    While I've started focusing on PCC through IDPA and USPSA sanctioned events (including the Steel Challenges), I am a bit stumped at the lack of local events that support carbine calibers such as 5.56 (excepting 3 Gun, but obviously you need two other gun platforms). I see a lot of defensive carbine 1-2 day courses, but no sanctioned events that actually support someone that wants to compete on this platform unless you're into long range, static position shooting. I DO see support in other states (lots of videos from Texas!), but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. And perhaps, too, this is a reflection of Maryland's paranoia around guns in general, although the wealth of USPSA and IDPA seems to contradict that notion.

Anyone? NRA seems to have a competitive division for this, but I see very few matches nationwide.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a friend who shoots(shot) two gun. 5.56 and service pistol. I'm not sure where, but he lives in Damascus Md. Sorry, that's all I got. :shrug:

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah, if I still owned and was proficient with pistol I'd be good. I haven't owned a pistol since the mid 80s, so I'm probably going to have to focus on long range rifle precision for that outlet. That said, I am scheduled for a 2 day defensive rifle course in Frederick County Sept 30-Oct 1 and may just do that once or twice yearly so I can jog the muscle memory...

steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    The Mayberry carbine match is dynamic and only requires a semi auto rifle. There are several posts here about it. Next one should be in late January.

Steve

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    believe there were some NRA matches at Peacemaker that were AR-15 only, guessing more in the future. just did 2 gun at peacemaker last weekend (handgun and AR-15) and other ranges do that also (Frederick idpa venue has done a couple). and just a reminder that peacemaker is having am and pm supersteel matches this saturday 26th. no ar-15 rifles but PCC is allowed, these are uspsa-style, run & gun with handgun or shotgun or PCC. and hey, get a shottie so you can do 3 gun matches, that will open you to a lot more matches that use ar-15's.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    believe there were some NRA matches at Peacemaker that were AR-15 only, guessing more in the future. just did 2 gun at peacemaker last weekend (handgun and AR-15) and other ranges do that also (Frederick idpa venue has done a couple). and just a reminder that peacemaker is having am and pm supersteel matches this saturday 26th. no ar-15 rifles but PCC is allowed, these are uspsa-style, run & gun with handgun or shotgun or PCC. and hey, get a shottie so you can do 3 gun matches, that will open you to a lot more matches that use ar-15's.

I own a shotgun but haven't owned a pistol since the 80s. That said, I need to see a 3 gun match soon.

I'm tempted to run up to Peacemaker this weekend and watch...

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just connected the dots on your screen name and the civilian gunfighter blog. I've read several of your blog entries, you're a pretty good writer....

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Just connected the dots on your screen name and the civilian gunfighter blog. I've read several of your blog entries, you're a pretty good writer....

Haha! Thanks. Putting my "liberal arts college" education to a use they never would've envisioned! :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I own a shotgun but haven't owned a pistol since the 80s. That said, I need to see a 3 gun match soon.

I'm tempted to run up to Peacemaker this weekend and watch...

dude, seriously you MUST shoot the peacemaker supersteel match and not just watch. bring your PCC and 250 maybe 300 rounds of ammo and you can squad with me morning or afternoon. afternoon will be better as less crowded but either works. come late morning and watch some AM and then shoot PM. of course you have to sign up, just go to practiscore.com and search under PNTC. pick squad 1 (am) or 8 (pm).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just to beat this to death, i have met NO ONE who came to spectate a match and was happy they didn't bring their stuff and just shoot it...

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    just to beat this to death, i have met NO ONE who came to spectate a match and was happy they didn't bring their stuff and just shoot it...

Ok, ok, you win, I'm happy to squad in the afternoon but note I'll be using both a new gun and optic, and have planned 3 trips to my local range this week to get a feel for performance. The 6450 has been quite a project trying to find a decent optic that gets around the carry handle issues, so I went with a Colt 6951 flattop and Nikon Blackforce 1000 1-4x "competition" scope. I have one of those c-more railway tactical optic to try this week at the range as well, since it sucked big time on top of the 6450's carry handle.

Are there restrictions on optics? I assume max distance 25 yards?

I'll sign up in the morning. Squad 8...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Are there restrictions on optics? I assume max distance 25 yards?

I'll sign up in the morning. Squad 8...

no optics restrictions on PCC (you can even use a laser) or if you shoot open handgun. you should, but no guarantees, be able to check your zero on an empty bay.

max distance is a little irrelevant as target size also matters. most folks knock everything down so there is nothing too terribly far or small.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    no optics restrictions on PCC (you can even use a laser) or if you shoot open handgun. you should, but no guarantees, be able to check your zero on an empty bay.

max distance is a little irrelevant as target size also matters. most folks knock everything down so there is nothing too terribly far or small.

You know, I just GOT that. I'm so used to hitting a one inch circle or square...

See you Saturday.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    For steel matches its just minute of steel plate so a bigger dot is usually appropriate. I use a Trijicon RMR with a 9 MOA dot on my G34 and a 12 MOA dot C-More on my PCC. If I was ever shooting paper again I would go smaller.

If I make it to the match it will be for the PM squad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom