• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Fish passed away. Damn cancer, I hate that disease. BTW, it was AZ, not CO.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But his case served as an example of why ammunition choice is not grounds for prosecution, even if in another state. Gives some guidance to the rest of us IMO

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Several folks in the past have suggested that a private person should carry the same handgun and ammo that the local cops carry. The theory is that if it is good enough for the police, it is a good choice for a private person.

It's a little more involved than that. If it's the same guy I read a couple of years ago, the reasoning was that if you use what the local PD uses, it's a lot harder for a prosecutor to make a "disproportionate force" case stick. He had some story about a jury convicting because even though it was a good shoot, they said the homeowner used way more force than necessary to stop the perp because he used a .45, but the police use 9mm and they stop perps all the time. Never saw a case cite for that though, so I came away thinking it was a thought exercise.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Baltimore County uses Win SXT's. They have not used Federal ammo in a few years. They carried the Rem Golden Saber before the Win.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    What is his reason? I am guessing for a defense saying " If it's good enough for my local PD it's good enough for me"?

A lot of people think that way.
    I'd rather have something better than low-bid state-and-local purchase though...

I load up with Hornady Critical Defense.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    When you get paid to speak sometimes you'll say something that really has no merit. Other times since you get paid you come up with some relatively crazy stuff that you can rationalize and someone might buy into it.

IMHO.....buy a good quality JHP round....fire a few boxes to make sure it works...and be happy.

Massed Ayoob backs up everything he says whether it is with his experience in the court room, speaking with PD's or ER doctors, or doing testing himself. He does NOT "say something that really has no merit" because he is paid.

He recommends using the ammo of your PD, but recommends what works best in your firearm.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Massed Ayoob backs up everything he says whether it is with his experience in the court room, speaking with PD's or ER doctors, or doing testing himself. He does NOT "say something that really has no merit" because he is paid.

He recommends using the ammo of your PD, but recommends what works best in your firearm.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Yeah I know...people take every word he speaks like it's gospel from the lord himself.

He has a lot of good points...no one is right all the time.

I feel this issue he stretches it a bit much. It's a non issue.

Get what works at a price you can afford.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My Department uses 165gr Gold Dots in our Glock 22. I have never had an ammunition related malfunction (hell, my malfunctions were all caused by poor grip). In every shooting that I'm personally aware of, the round has performed well and has stopped the attacker.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    It's all silly fodder really.

Guns in any caliber with any load can be lethal.....it's arm chairing by a bunch of folks who have no experiance in the real world.

It would take an expert about 10 minutes to put any claims like that to rest with a judge and maybe 15 minutes with a jury.

Mas put an example in one of his books (I don't rememmber which one) in which a prosecutor argued that the fact that a guy carried a 10mm pistol loaded with hollow points was evidence of his nefarious intent... he noted that carrying the same load as the local cops would put an end to such an argument (or at least make the prosecutor look the fool).

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Mas put an example in one of his books (I don't rememmber which one) in which a prosecutor argued that the fact that a guy carried a 10mm pistol loaded with hollow points was evidence of his nefarious intent... he noted that carrying the same load as the local cops would put an end to such an argument (or at least make the prosecutor look the fool).

Bad points get brought up all the time in court. Was the guy convicted because of this?

If not...then it's a non issue as case law has been determined already.

Really....it's a point that an "expert" could refute in about 10 minutes in a court room.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    To answer op, MSP was carrying hydra shock last I knew. I can make a phone call and check for certain if that important. I personally use Winchester PDX.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    To answer op, MSP was carrying hydra shock last I knew. I can make a phone call and check for certain if that important. I personally use Winchester PDX.

Hydra-shock is such a poor performer against thick clothing, especially with all the newer JHP technology that Federal, Winchester etc are using.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Thank you all very very much for your time answering my question. I really appreciate it. My understanding of why it was recommended was that local police departments have completed testing for the local environment of weather, uses, and situations and therefore you would be getting the advantage of their study for your decision making.

That seems kind of silly. The cops do not necessarily buy what is the most effective. Their requirements are significantly different than personal HD. PD may have to consider cost, training 100’s or 1000’s of officers, contracts, politics, or simply some high up dude made the absolute determination Brand X is what will be used. They may even be using different calibers and firearms than a HD gun.

At the end of the day it is your life and what runs best through your gun. If it is life an death, I want the best option to be alive to deal with court.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    Maybe I am a grump but I remember reading his stuff a lot and realizing over time it gelt like month to month his entire viewpoint would change, depending on who's product he was selling that issue.

yeah... I am a grump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom