• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I have a couple questions on the ar platform...
    With 300 blackout, what is the advantage of running a pistol gas system with a 16” barrel? My assumption is that it helps the rifle cycle subsonic ammunition. Is there a problem with over gassing with supersonic when using that setup?

Also, I’m planning a mock dissipator build using either 300 blk or 9mm. Are there any particular barrels in either caliber that anyone can think of that would have the proper contour for a standard .750 fsb in the rifle location?

Hell while I’m at it, has anyone played with 7.62x40wt?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No issues with supers or subs with a pistol length gas system.

You won't find a dissipator barrel for 300BLK, because the most you would find is a carbine length or pistol length gas system.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Thanks but I think my question got a bit lost in translation and I should have explained more with the mock dissipator.

I have a 300 blk with 16” and carbine has system, it doesn’t cycle subsonic, I assume if I switch to a barrel with a pistol system it would run subsonic ammo, but would I have any issues with supersonic?

As for the mock dissipator... if I use 300 blk, I’ll run a pistol or carbine system with a low profile gas block that hides under the hand guards then use a standard fsb in the rifle location as a dummy. I’m just looking to see if anyone knows of a particular barrel that would have the right diameter around the rifle mounting location to put a fsb. Either in 9mm or 300blk

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Sorry I was a bit to quick reading your post, I missed that you mentioned supersonic

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A dissipator build may be nice for .300 BLK supers. If you are going to shoot subs, I wouldn't do it, or I would have 2 uppers for the gun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OP, Seems like some of your post is getting misinterpreted. So what you want is Pistol gas system but you want the front sight out near the muzzle so you get the advantages of a long sight radius but still maintain a pistol gas system? To accomplish that, you would have a low profile gas block for the pistol length under the hand guard, but add an FSB w/o using the gas in it for the front sight?

I have a 300blk on an SBR but was thinking about the same thing at one point so I'm very interested. I like shooting offhand with irons.
    I was however hoping for it to be floating and not have handguard touch FSB

My googlefu came up with this. Scroll down for a pic (its a carbine length , but illustrates what you are asking about)
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90205&start=10

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, Seems like some of your post is getting misinterpreted. So what you want is Pistol gas system but you want the front sight out near the muzzle so you get the advantages of a long sight radius but still maintain a pistol gas system? To accomplish that, you would have a low profile gas block for the pistol length under the hand guard, but add an FSB w/o using the gas in it for the front sight?

I have a 300blk on an SBR but was thinking about the same thing at one point so I'm very interested. I like shooting offhand with irons.

My googlefu came up with this. Scroll down for a pic (its a carbine length , but illustrates what you are asking about)

What the OP is looking for is a 300AAC barrel that will maintain proper diameter out to the muzzle so a faux FSB can be either pinned(preferably) or clamped on. That may be hard to find. He may have to resort to a front sight mounted to the end of a long hand guard. Not the best solution, but a reasonable($) alternative.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017

I was however hoping for it to be floating and not have handguard touch FSB

You pretty much nailed what I have in my head. I’m not dead set on pistol length gas, just trying to find some feedback on it since I’ve never run it.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    What the OP is looking for is a 300AAC barrel that will maintain proper diameter out to the muzzle so a faux FSB can be either pinned(preferably) or clamped on. That may be hard to find. He may have to resort to a front sight mounted to the end of a long hand guard. Not the best solution, but a reasonable($) alternative.

Yes most definitely, I’m starting to learn that it may be a better idea to keep one question per thread haha

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Just to clear it up, I have a couple questions in this thread originally

-pistol gas systems with 300blk, why? What are the advantages over carbine?

-mock dissipator, does anyone know of any 300blk barrels in either gas system either 16” or 14.5” with a profile that has .750 diameter around where a rifle length gas block would be.
    Also same question but with 9mm

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What can I do to make a carbine shoot subs? Enlarge the gas port and/or reduce buffer weight?

Reliability Work:

Gas Port Opened to .120
    Gas Tube Port Matched to Gas Block
    Bore Scope Alligned Gas Block
    Tubb .300 BLK Flat Wire Spring or Reduced Power SpringCo Spring
    Extractor Contour & Polish
    Carrier Belly Contour & Polish
    Matched & Polished Barrel Extension Ramps
    Polished Chamber
    Carbine Weight Buffer

This all works best with a SLR Adjustable Gas Block in my experience. No other Gas Blocks are worth considering.

As far as a Dissipator Profile, none exist commercially. It will be a custom profile.

9mm does not need a dissipator since it does not use a gas system. As far as proper profiles for adding a FSB, could t say as no one has ever asked.

Wanting a fixed FSB is a good thing. It's more reliable than a rail mounted front sight.

Pistol Gas is more reliable on .300 when Subsonic are used due to the lower pressure of subs.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Reliability Work:

Gas Port Opened to .120
    Gas Tube Port Matched to Gas Block
    Bore Scope Alligned Gas Block
    Tubb .300 BLK Flat Wire Spring or Reduced Power SpringCo Spring
    Extractor Contour & Polish
    Carrier Belly Contour & Polish
    Matched & Polished Barrel Extension Ramps
    Polished Chamber
    Carbine Weight Buffer

This all works best with a SLR Adjustable Gas Block in my experience. No other Gas Blocks are worth considering.

As far as a Dissipator Profile, none exist commercially. It will be a custom profile.

9mm does not need a dissipator since it does not use a gas system. As far as proper profiles for adding a FSB, could t say as no one has ever asked.

Wanting a fixed FSB is a good thing. It's more reliable than a rail mounted front sight.

Pistol Gas is more reliable on .300 when Subsonic are used due to the lower pressure of subs.

Thank you, I guess my next question would be, I have a 300 aac bull barrel, where could I get someone to turn it down to a profile to fit my needs and re Park it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you, I guess my next question would be, I have a 300 aac bull barrel, where could I get someone to turn it down to a profile to fit my needs and re Park it?

I can do the countoring but I don't do parkerizing.

ADCO can do the turning down to .750 and the repark job. They do mail order work.

If you need a FSB installed and taper pinned after the work is done, I can do that if you are interested.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I can do the countoring but I don't do parkerizing.

ADCO can do the turning down to .750 and the repark job. They do mail order work.

If you need a FSB installed and taper pinned after the work is done, I can do that if you are interested.

This is the man you want on the job Chaz. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom