• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Looking at picking up a CZ 455 Varmint and sadly CZ does not offer their walnut wood stock Varmint model with a threaded barrel for the US market

What is general pricing to a have it done and places locally as I've seen some online sites offer the service as a send in

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    $100-125 little on the high side but not terrible and just for curiosity I asked about transfer fees $100 transfer for handguns $55 for long guns wow lol.. I'll become an FFL before I'd pay those kinda fees

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    $100-125 little on the high side but not terrible and just for curiosity I asked about transfer fees $100 transfer for handguns $55 for long guns wow lol.. I'll become an FFL before I'd pay those kinda fees

John Lowe is the guy I use for transfers. He's located just up 95 in North East. He's just up the street and around the corner from Cecil County Raceway.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I put a Lilja barrel on my CZ (Sniper's Hide group buy).

I sent the barrel to Long Rifles Inc. They threaded the barrel, made a thread protector, and Cerakoted the whole thing. I forget the price, but it was very reasonable. 1 week door to door (it was in their shop 24 hours).

When I got it back, you could not need the line where the thread protector contacted the barrel.

That said, Duffy's did a Ruger 22/45 for me. Shortened the barrel, threaded it, moved the front sight back. VERY nice work.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Lotta work in threading a barrel. It needs to be removed from the action, cut (if desired), turned down on a lathe leaving a nice shoulder, then tapped and threaded. That doesn't include moving the front sight if it has one and that is needed. 2 hours work if all goes really well and no unexpected problems arise. If the guy is competent, 100 - 125 is not on the high side.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Lotta work in threading a barrel. It needs to be removed from the action, cut (if desired), turned down on a lathe leaving a nice shoulder, then tapped and threaded. That doesn't include moving the front sight if it has one and that is needed. 2 hours work if all goes really well and no unexpected problems arise. If the guy is competent, 100 - 125 is not on the high side.

Yeah, I'd say $125 is a pretty good price.

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    John Lowe is the guy I use for transfers. He's located just up 95 in North East. He's just up the street and around the corner from Cecil County Raceway.

Is John a veteran? If so I have a good buddy who uses him and loves dealing with himself much he goes up to BE from Baltimore City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is John a veteran? If so I have a good buddy who uses him and loves dealing with himself much he goes up to BE from Baltimore City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, John is a veteran and a great guy too.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co

Yea all things considered certainly not all that much just considered getting my other 2 rimfire guns done too but that’s getting well up there.. being that they are $150-200 rifles to start with..
    I asked the question elsewhere from people across the country and all seemed to tout $75ish. Then again most are paying $10-20 for a transfer in some cases their FFL just ask that they buy a box of ammo upon pick up lol

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yea all things considered certainly not all that much just considered getting my other 2 rimfire guns done too but that’s getting well up there.. being that they are $150-200 rifles to start with..
    I asked the question elsewhere from people across the country and all seemed to tout $75ish. Then again most are paying $10-20 for a transfer in some cases their FFL just ask that they buy a box of ammo upon pick up lol

You might get it done locally for $75....if the barrel is out of the action. I don't know anyone in Md who has done transfers for $10...and not just recently....I' m talking over the last 30 years. Back in the early 80s Valley gun transfered a handgun for me for $15 at the Timmonium show. But that was a deal he extended to other show dealers. The were once 'table top dealers' allowed by ATF that I used back in the day (again 80s) for $20 for long guns. You can be critical of dealers if you want, but between Big box stores like BassPro and Dicks and Internet sales, a firearms store has difficulty surviving here in MD when they must maintain a 'brick and morter' presence. Most stores that remain survive by being a pawn business or firearms training or, in Scotts Gunsmithing case, the ' smithing business. And trust me most aren' t getting rich. How many transfers at 10 or 20 bucks woukd you need to do just to pay 3k in rent plus utilities? And paperwork has to be filled out by someone....the more you do the more man hours needed and that costs.

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Drop this guy a note: http://class3machining.com/

He does barrel threading for $50. (Plus shipping, of course.) His lathe is large enough that he doesn't need to take barrels out of the action. That includes lever guns, too. Cutting labor time cuts the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom