• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterJT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hi All. Does anyone know an 07 FFL in Maryland who has a CNC machine and may make lowers? Thanks.

ShooterJT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 9, 2014
    The perception of what you are asking for

What kind of lowers? legal or illegal?

An AR lower. I know they are illegal in MD, but I am looking for an 07 FFL so they can machine a piece of metal I have, then build the whole rifle and sell it to me, which is legal.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Wow, that can be tough to work with. Curious about what advantages you are seeking over the forged aluminum? Durability seems the greatest advantage. Good luck in your quest.

If a smith is creating components, assembling/fitting complete firearms, that FFL now becomes a manufacturer. Excise taxes must be charged. The 1911 world went through this a couple years ago and some professional 1911 smiths are doing things differently.

Not sure about the bolt together nature of the AR platform. Not sure about the technicalities of an 07 FFL. Then there is Maryland SB281. Let us know how it goes.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Wouldn't this fall into the same category as an 80%? Manufacturing a banned firearm IS illegal, hence the reason 80% are frowned upon in this state now.

No, if a manufacturer: machines, serializes, records, and pays tax on said lower that will be created into a legal long gun.

Engage is basically doing this with their E4 platform

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

I hope your pockets are deep.

Having built a Titanium AR-15 lower, I know that the effort required is high, the tooling costs will be high, and the machine time will be long. I can't see getting a Ti lower cut for less than 10x the price of an aluminum one.

Do you have all of the CAD/CAM done? Custom CAM needs to be done for whatever machine you'll be working on... that's gonna be expensive if you can't do it yourself. Even if you can, I wouldn't let anybody run their CAM on my machine.

After having finished my Ti AR, I've come to realize why nobody else does it. There is zero advantage over 7075 Aluminum, except the cool factor. Titanium is 1.6x heavier than Aluminum, so unless you draw up a new design to thin the features of the lower you'll have a heavier gun. 7075 doesn't wear out after hundreds of thousands of rounds, so the durability advantage is nearly zero. If you do go with a new design to actually take advantage of Ti, then your costs for new fixtures and even more custom CAM are going to be very very high.

-Jim

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    I hope your pockets are deep.

Having built a Titanium AR-15 lower, I know that the effort required is high, the tooling costs will be high, and the machine time will be long. I can't see getting a Ti lower cut for less than 10x the price of an aluminum one.

Do you have all of the CAD/CAM done? Custom CAM needs to be done for whatever machine you'll be working on... that's gonna be expensive if you can't do it yourself. Even if you can, I wouldn't let anybody run their CAM on my machine.

After having finished my Ti AR, I've come to realize why nobody else does it. There is zero advantage over 7075 Aluminum, except the cool factor. Titanium is 1.6x heavier than Aluminum, so unless you draw up a new design to thin the features of the lower you'll have a heavier gun. 7075 doesn't wear out after hundreds of thousands of rounds, so the durability advantage is nearly zero. If you do go with a new design to actually take advantage of Ti, then your costs for new fixtures and even more custom CAM are going to be very very high.

-Jim

:thumbsup:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Wow. Now I want a gold lower

It's been done:

For Trade: Custom Delton Ar15 in Gold Perlite
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/44915...for-trade--custom-delton-ar15-in-gold-perlite

Tracking Swiss Watches in Sinaloa: Top 5 Luxury Brands Among Mexican Drug Lords
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/201...top-6-luxury-brands-among-mexican-drug-lords/

Mexican drug cartels’ golden guns on museum display at El Museo de Enervantes in Mexico City
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...olden-guns-showcased-museum-article-1.2124825

mdflyer

Nov 19, 2015
    I want a AR10 blued steel receiver set anyone have suggestions on someone currently making them? yes I know it will be heavy, part of the reason I want it..

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How many CNC posts are we up to now? Sure seems like they're coming out of the woodworks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom