• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm NOT a tech savy guy. Bought a new Dell laptop for the kids and thought it be good. Well, I don't have enough RAM in it and the HD needs to be bigger.

Suggestions for someone around Sykesville to do this work?

Thanks in advance!

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Wish i was closer, id do it for a six pack (you pay for parts).

Its actually pretty easy if the laptop is fairly new. Use the express code on dell cite to get the model information, then use the model info to determine the type of memory needed and the max amount it can hold. order memory from Amazon.

Similar with hard drive. The key there is reinstall of the OS/software.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I'm not far from Sykesville and I can show you how to do it. It's really just unplugging the old RAM, plugging the new RAM in (it only fits one way - you literally cannot screw it up) and doing the same with the hard drive (again, the cabling only fits one way).

Of course, a laptop vs. desktop will make a large difference, but Dells are easy to work on.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    i replaced the screen on my daughters dell laptop. Did the same, looked up model found replacement screen. then found video on youtube. 20 mins had the new screen in. I was nervous cause there are so many variations on screens, but using the dell 'as built' configuration gave me the exact screen part number and from there i got the specs and was able to make sure the one i ordered from Amazon was the same.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Sorry, yes it's a laptop (edited first post also).

Does it know the new RAM is there or does it need to be reconfigured? I may be able to handle that. Less confident about reloading the new hard drive.

Thanks for the advice!

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Sorry, yes it's a laptop (edited first post also).

Does it know the new RAM is there or does it need to be reconfigured? I may be able to handle that. Less confident about reloading the new hard drive.

Thanks for the advice!

Post a model number and we can get some YouTube videos and specs for you.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yea, just google the model number and ram/ hard drive. You should get vids that show step by step.
    Also look into getting a SSD drive. Lots faster and will make a huge difference in speed.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I'm NOT a tech savy guy. Bought a new Dell laptop for the kids and thought it be good. Well, I don't have enough RAM in it and the HD needs to be bigger.

Suggestions for someone around Sykesville to do this work?

Thanks in advance!

So the ram is super easy, and the drive is pretty easy as well. I have the cable to clone the drive. How big is the current drive, and what type? Platter or SSD?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Did you find someone to do this? This is basically my day job. I'm about a half hour away.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Thanks all!

Sorry, was on the road and not online.

Had Dell tech support online and they said I needed more RAM for it to run better. So, I assume they aren't telling me wrong. When looking at the diagnostics the processor is often at 100%.

I'll look at the sites given above and see if I think the RAM is something I can handle or not. Hope that takes care of it. If the guys think it won't then I'll have to get help on the drive as that seems beyond me.

Thanks again.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Thanks all!

I'll look at the sites given above and see if I think the RAM is something I can handle or not. Hope that takes care of it. If the guys think it won't then I'll have to get help on the drive as that seems beyond me.

Thanks again.

I am in Eldersburg, I can do the ram for you no issue and will teach you how to fish...... Maybe we could meet at AGC and do it, that would work.

PM me when you have the RAM upgrade in hand. Understand it is better to upgrade in "pairs" with the same ram manufacturer. If it's a single dimm no issue there.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I am in Eldersburg, I can do the ram for you no issue and will teach you how to fish...... Maybe we could meet at AGC and do it, that would work.

PM me when you have the RAM upgrade in hand. Understand it is better to upgrade in "pairs" with the same ram manufacturer. If it's a single dimm no issue there.

WOW! That is really nice of you!!!:) (He should bring a box of ammo for your kind offering)

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    WOW! That is really nice of you!!!:) (He should bring a box of ammo for your kind offering)
    th
    For RAM I cannot take a dime. Hard drive replacement? Yeah, a box or 10. ;)

The problem with doing hard drive stuff, is, on the off chance the source drive goes stupid during the migration, guess who looks like the bad guy? I don't do this for a living so don't have tools, extra drives etc.

I would be hesitant to do that work, but I could walk him through it and he can do it himself. Heck he can even borrow my cable.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Thanks all!

I was able to order the RAM and put it in myself (thanks again for the advice there) which is rather amazing since I am not a tech guy. Kids say it works well enough now so I will skip the drive part.

Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom