• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    .45 ACP is "Antiquated"...hmmm...I hope they don't stop manufacturing it anytime soon.:innocent0

It still leaves the same sized gigantic hole that it did in 1911. How can that be termed antiquated? I think the grunts that still use Mr. Browning's Ma Deuce even today would take issue with the term antiquated.

These arguments continue ad nauseum. Who was providing the popcorn again?

Shoot what you are accurate with. For me 45 ACP or 40 is just fine.

A 45 caliber G21 holds 13 + 1. Limited capacity? I think not. I use the G21 mags in my G30 at home. I still don't feel outgunned with 8 + 1 in my Kimber either

xjmox14x

Feb 1, 2010
    You say that .357 magnum really isn't ideal because of the recoil. Well, it takes two .357 sig rounds fired simultaneously to equal one .357 magnum round in terms of energy.

The bottom line is, for home defense, you probably won't be shooting through any car windows. I've read that around 80% of handgun wound victims survive their wounds. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter if it is a 9mm or a .45... you are going to have to be accurate and you better be able to follow up shots.

If you want stopping power for the home, the shotgun should be the only weapon discussed. Period. The differences in energy from any of the typical semi-auto handgun rounds is more or less negligible.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Capacity does nothing if you cannot hit your target. Use what you can shoot accurately and operate without having to think about it. Shoot as much as humanly possible. Practice clearing jams and such during low light or no light conditions.

-Z

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    I think when the 45 acp is called antiquated, it is because it was a staple of our military for nearly 100 years, but they abandoned it almost a decade ago.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Just wondering if you guys actually Fired the 10mm indoors, low light without hearing protection?

If you liked it...I guess you will love watching flashbang grenades go off as well.

I have not shot one in that specific situation no, but I can imagine it's pretty brutal to the shooter.

Frankly I love the ballistics of the 10mm, but my round of choice is the old 9mm Luger. With modern ammunition technology anything over 9mm is going to do the job. 9mm affords me a little extra training for less $$.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, now I've learned the 45 ACP round must be antiquated, and according to one poster on another forum, so is the 1911 pistol. Pardon, he said obsolete - because it had a safety to deactivate and rusted and weighed too much...unlike his Glock.

Where does all this come from? Rocket science, I guess.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    anybody who thinks their 1911 is an antique is free to provide that pistol to me

why would you want to shoot that old thing anyway...:innocent0

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Brit SAS still issues .22lr. So does the Mossad. Marksmanship>Training>Caliber.
    Shoot what you're comfy with and you'll start ahead of most. Caliber is the least important issue/factor when contemplating your self defense abilities. Try all the calibers with a speed test and see how good you are at 15 yds/5 rds/3 secs. The results may surprise you, and you will discover which caliber fits you the best.
    I actually perform the best with a .380 90gr HP/XTP, so that is what I would carry if I could get a CCW in this Godforsaken State, and its my most readily available handgun in the house. What would you rather get hit with, 5 rds of .22lr or 1 rd of .45 ?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I actually perform the best with a .380 90gr HP/XTP, so that is what I would carry if I could get a CCW in this Godforsaken State, and its my most readily available handgun in the house.

No!! For the love of God......you CAN'T carry a .380. It can't even penetrate a heavily starched t-shirt!

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Shoot what you're comfy with and you'll start ahead of most. Caliber is the least important issue/factor when contemplating your self defense abilities. Try all the calibers with a speed test and see how good you are at 15 yds/5 rds/3 secs. The results may surprise you, and you will discover which caliber fits you the best.
    I actually perform the best with a .380 90gr HP/XTP, so that is what I would carry if I could get a CCW in this Godforsaken State, and its my most readily available handgun in the house. What would you rather get hit with, 5 rds of .22lr or 1 rd of .45 ?

Exactly the opinion I give anyone who asks "what's the best pistol/round/etc"? Whatever works best for the user. The end.

I don't like .357SIG, .40 S&W, .45 GAP not because they are bad calibers, but because I shoot a lot of cheaper calibers just as well.

From a strictly ballistic standpoint the .45 ACP is a bit antiquated, but it's still effective. The human body still hasn't evolved to the point it can just shrug off a 230 grain piece of lead hitting it at ~900 fps.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

22lr is also used tactically to silence sentries and guard dogs;)
    Mossad silencer can be "MacGyvered" with a shopping trip to the local ACE Hardware.:rolleyes:

US Army used to issue High Standard HDM to certain units which were called "Hush Puppy" guns, I had one of the kits on my MTOE for a while when they converted from the H-Series TO&E.

I think the Navy used S&W.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I have 45ACP because I like to shoot it and I think you have to have at least one gun in 45. I have 40S&W because it was the cartridge I could find when I was buying my first gun. I have .357SIG because it is AWESOME to shoot and it is something which not everyone has. I'm planning on buying a .22lr here soon because it'll be cheap to shoot. I want to have a H&K P7 at some point so I'll have a 9mm too.

I don't have any caliber because I think it is going to be a one shot stop or 'silver bullet'. I have what I like and want to have. If the time comes for action, I'm confident whatever I grab will put holes where I want them and will definitely be better than a sharp stick.

That being said, I do like sitting back and reading the 9mm vs. 45ACP threads each month or so when they come up! :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm glad that you have pistol you have confidence in. Heck I've used .357 Sig, and like, and plan to eventually own one. BUT ....
    You didn't mention it's advantage : flat trajectory for 75yd hits. Or to put another way: The long range trajectory of full powered 10mm, but with less recoil.
    It would seem you fall on the lt bullet/ high velocity side of the eternal debate, and that's a valid aproach (not necessarily the only way, but it works). A .45acp +P 185 @ 1100fps is highly effective. Likewise full powered 10mm with 150s or less. A .40 with hot 135 jhp is still better than a sharp stck. The 9x23, .356 TSW, and CorBon loadings of .38Super would be surprised to know that .357 Sig is "fastest 9mm . And a 9mm +P+ is essentially delivering a 115 at similar vel to a 125 in the Sig . And I can assure you that full powered 125 .357 Mag from a medium frame revolver, either a 4in or 2.75 in is controlable with practice and deceent technique .
    The .357Sig is a good and generally underrated round, but it's not the only good choice.
    Choice is good, long live options.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    22lr is also used tactically to silence sentries and guard dogs;)
    Mossad silencer can be "MacGyvered" with a shopping trip to the local ACE Hardware.:rolleyes:

US Army used to issue High Standard HDM to certain units which were called "Hush Puppy" guns, I had one of the kits on my MTOE for a while when they converted from the H-Series TO&E.

I think the Navy used S&W.

For those special quiet moments the Navy used Ruger MK1's.
    S&W was a 686 in .357

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom