• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    IANAL, but it sounds like the original judge didn't really want the guy convicted, so he didn't hand down a conviction. The defendant appealed, but the higher court refused the appeal, since there wasn't a complete verdict. So it's bouncing around in Legal Limbo, where doubtless everyone is hoping it will just die of old age in some dusty file.

But like I stated, it's all just a WAG on my part.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    IANAL, but it sounds like the original judge didn't really want the guy convicted, so he didn't hand down a conviction. The defendant appealed, but the higher court refused the appeal, since there wasn't a complete verdict. So it's bouncing around in Legal Limbo, where doubtless everyone is hoping it will just die of old age in some dusty file.

But like I stated, it's all just a WAG on my part.

That's kind of what I thought, but it seems the district judge doesn't want to single handedly strike a statute or make a big pronouncement on the 2A. He wants the appeals court to do it for him.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Looks like a judicial game of defensive football where the punters are getting a serious workout.

Looks like, the appellate court said "it's your ball, take it and run with it, develop all the case law" since they had no jurisdiction. Basically, "rule on all the motions, have your trial, then we'll take the appeal and sort it all out."

Other than that, I don't know that we can garner anything from this. IANAL.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Only thing new I see is that there's some "technicality" with the certification to the appeals court.
    Fl Carry is urging people to contact the AG. I hope they don't; we need this to move up the chain, all the way up the chain if necessary.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Tried to watch the orals today (and did). Problem is the dam audio didn't work. So that was a bust.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    wjackcooper, you are the man!

Just watched. Norman's attorney did a phenomenal job, hitting all the points very well.
    The state's attorney was out of her league, and kept using the "common sense" phrase with no backing whatsoever, and I believe intentionally evaded answering the question about how many states allow for open carry. One of the judges seemed inclined to the proposition that as long as a license is required, then it isn't a right.
    This could be a huge win at the end of the day. Norman's attorney suggested at the end the court should rule and allow the legislature to change the statute.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Who is the lawyer who argued for the defense?I really enjoyed that argument.

I don't think that the governments lawyer had her heart in it. Remember she is required to defend the government's position regardless of what of it is.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012

I don't think that the governments lawyer had her heart in it. Remember she is required to defend the government's position regardless of what of it is.

She is not required by her job title to defend the government's position, unless that is the wish of her superiors or it is dictated by the politics that got her the title. There are plenty of examples of government attorneys declining to defend laws which have outlived the popularity or their party's constituents. They do have an obligation to defend and uphold the constitution. Unfortunately 2A jurisprudence is not yet developed enough for everyone to have clarity on what is or isn't constitutional.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Eric Friday was Norman's attorney. He may have been FloridaCarry's attorney on other cases, which I may add are racking up a nice string of victories on the state level.
    This one certainly has implications beyond Florida.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Eric Friday was Norman's attorney. He may have been FloridaCarry's attorney on other cases, which I may add are racking up a nice string of victories on the state level.
    This one certainly has implications beyond Florida.

What are they winning cases on? I've never been to Florida but from what I hear their laws are so lax it would be hard to find cases to litigate. Criminal law stuff?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This comports with many MDS members views who have agreed that a state can determine the method of carry, but cannot ban both.

Hopefully this will lead to a SCOTUS ruling but they haven't seemed very interested in the last few cases asking for CERT.

Hopefully, the winds they are a changing.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    This comports with many MDS members views who have agreed that a state can determine the method of carry, but cannot ban both.

Hopefully this will lead to a SCOTUS ruling but they haven't seemed very interested in the last few cases asking for CERT.

Hopefully, the winds they are a changing.

I had a feeling they would go this way. It does support Peruta, which is a good thing and rejects Kachalsky, Woollard, and Drake. The split deepens......

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    I had a feeling they would go this way. It does support Peruta, which is a good thing and rejects Kachalsky, Woollard, and Drake. The split deepens......

I believe this case is in State court, not Federal District Court, so its not a direct bump in the current split. It does help though. Every little bit helps. We'll have to wait and see what the State Supreme Court has to say about it on appeal, assuming they take the case. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom