• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    This might be a bit off topic, but why is he being tried in the first place?

To put it bluntly... because Trayvon Martin was black and Zimmerman is a white hispanic.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    It was my understanding from what I read that when Zimmerman initially called it in, the police told him to back off and only observe. It sounds to me like he tried to take matters into his own hands, THEN got attacked, and was forced to try to defend himself against a younger, stronger, faster person who was intent on beating the snot out of him.

Some will argue that it was fists against guns, but I remember seeing this on TV - this female officer, Michelle Jeter, almost died from those punches, or at least that's how it was portrayed on TV.

[YT]SafZ1Bu3oqI[/YT]

That is not how it happened. This has been hashed out over and over. He was asked by the 911 dispatcher AFTER he ran after Martin "What are you doing?". Zimmerman stated he was following Martin. Then the 911 dispatcher stated "We don't need you to do that". Zimmeran said "ok". At this time he had lost contact with Martin and the pursuit was over. It's actually quite obvious that Martin doublebacked and confronted Zimmerman.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Martin was also on his phone (with girlfriend) moments before he was shot. I'm curious as to what was said, but that's the only shred of new evidence that the prosecution has.

With no witnesses, and a general lack of facts, it's testimony of a live man against silence from a dead one. This trial will be all about spin.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    To put it bluntly... because Trayvon Martin was black and Zimmerman is a white hispanic.
    Trayvon Martin.gif

:innocent0

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That is not how it happened. This has been hashed out over and over. He was asked by the 911 dispatcher AFTER he ran after Martin "What are you doing?". Zimmerman stated he was following Martin. Then the 911 dispatcher stated "We don't need you to do that". Zimmeran said "ok". At this time he had lost contact with Martin and the pursuit was over. It's actually quite obvious that Martin doublebacked and confronted Zimmerman.
    Ok - that's reasonable. I was just putting it out there from what I had read about it from the spin-cycle news media. The media spun it up like he was a weekend warrior who didn't know when to quit.

Either way, the photos of Zimmerman speak volumes - he was pretty banged up, and it's clear to me that he had justifiable use of force.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I wonder how long it will take to find enough people to fill the jury, out of the 500?

This case has been publicized as bad as the Casey-Anthony trial.

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    It was my understanding from what I read that when Zimmerman initially called it in, the police told him to back off and only observe. It sounds to me like he tried to take matters into his own hands, THEN got attacked, and was forced to try to defend himself against a younger, stronger, faster person who was intent on beating the snot out of him.

There is absolutely zero, not one shred, of evidence supporting these claims. This is purely misinformation distributed by the Martin family lawyers, Crump and colleagues, massive disinformation campaign to poison the jury pool.

If you have a single fact IN EVIDENCE, not merely printed in some news rag as truth, or spread around on bogs by anonymous posters, please feel free to provide it.

In a trial, "facts" that are not in evidence are nothing but speculation, and simply do not exist. Or, to put it another way, they are BS.

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Hey folks,

I just posted up my summary of today's voir dire of prospective jurors for the Zimmerman trial, click the link below if you'd like to read it.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-three-wrap-up//#more

In brief, two events today were particularly interesting . . . or, more accurately, shocking.

First was a prospective juror, J39, who told the Court that as far as he was concerned, murder's murder, no matter what. Even if it's self defense. Self-defense doesn't make it right to kill somebody." When asked if he would be biased in this case on the issue of self-defense as murder he responded, "Yes," and that he would not be able to set his opinion aside.

Prospective juror J39 was promptly dismissed by the court.

Far more disturbing, however, was prospective juror E7, who may have attempted to perpetuate a despicable fraud upon the Court in an effort to destroy the integrity of the jury.

While being questioned by the State, E7 made all the right noises about having not yet made up his mind about the case. He said, for example, that if someones within their right to defend themselves, they shouldn't be arrested.

The entire time he was being questioned by the State, however, the defense table was scribbling like crazy. They asked to approach the bench, along with the State, and there was a hurried discussion with Judge Nelson out of everyone's hearing. After a few minutes Judge Nelson addressed E7, held up a printed Facebook page, and asked him if he had made this post on a Facebook page called "Coffee Page Progressives." He said that he had. Judge Nelson then noted for the record that the post in question had been made on March 21, 2012.

I took the liberty at looking at the Facebook postings for "Coffee Party Progressives" on that date. What I found was a hard-core Progressive site that, among other things, advocated for the violent death of George Zimmerman: "I say give the guy some skittles and an iced tea and shoot him in the head," wrote one commenter. Another commenter wrote, ". . . In Sanford . . . & I CAN tell you THIS. "Justice" . . . IS Coming! " and "The Seminole County "Justice" System needs an ENEMA . . . & they just MIGHT GET one!"

Prospective juror E7 was also promptly dismissed by the court.

To see the entire wrap-up of today's third day of voir dire, including screen caps of the "Coffee Party Progressives" posts and comments from March 21, 2012, just click here:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-three-wrap-up//#more

Best,

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    So how many jurors were accepted today?

No jurors have been "accepted" (technically, the legal term is "impanelled", not that it matters) yet, this is a multi-step process.

100 prospective were randomly selected from the jury pool and filled out lengthy questionnaires. Based on the responses roughly half were dismissed outright. Of the remainder, they wer assigned alphanumeric identifiers to maintain their anonymity and brought into court one by one for a preliminary voir dire (questioning by each side's attorneys).

This preliminary voir dire only concerns issues around pre-trial publicity. Once both sides agree on 21 jurors making it through this step, there will be a comprehensive voir dire for those 21.

In the end the court wants 10 of those 21 impanelled in the jury, 6 primary jurors, and 4 alternates.

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I call BS on E7. Everyone knows that only right wing people are violent. After all, all school shootings have been by right wing extremists who founded the KKK.

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    If the courts find Zimmerman not guilty, there will be riots, possibly worse than the L.A riots. It will be interesting to watch this unfold. I just wonder how they will pick a jury. This has been all over the news. Most people already have their minds made up one way or the other

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If the courts find Zimmerman not guilty, there will be riots, possibly worse than the L.A riots. It will be interesting to watch this unfold. I just wonder how they will pick a jury. This has been all over the news. Most people already have their minds made up one way or the other

Good Florida is a Carry State. It'll be hood rat season.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    I was rather amazed at the woman calling Fox "slanted" and CNN "straight". She must not actually watch Fox. There is just as much slant in what isn't reported (Fox is often the only tv news reporting certain kinds of stories) as there is in how something is reported, and CNN is a major offender in both categories. Why is Fox vs CNN even an issue in this trial?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom