• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    danb wrote:

(1) “Yes, the Supreme Court will either rule or not before Palmer is final.”

I see what you did there, lol. The “guess” assumes a cert. petition, but no matter what, your observation remains entirely accurate!

(2) “My personal view is that this is a much bigger victory than it appears. D.C. has in essence conceded there is a right to bear arms, and now we are debating how strictly they can restrict the right. Maybe we only got a foot in the door, but the door is now open.”

I think you are correct. The right to bear outside of the home (having been found or assumed by several courts) is close to, or has been, conceded. The center of the contest is now moving more (I hope) toward whether “may issue” satisfies the guarantee “codified” in the Second Amendment and then, assuming a win, the center will shift to regulations.

“Guarantees”* has become a keyword and could be “the only question” in other cases.

It occurred to me that those who enjoy irony might especially appreciate a granting (if it happens despite the odds) of the Preliminary Injunction request in Wrenn quoting Palmer as persuasive authority.

Regards
    Jack

*From Mr. Gura’s opposition to holding Palmer in Abeyance:
    At page 4 . . . “whether the Second Amendment guarantees any right to carry handguns, of whatever dimension and subject to whatever regulation, is the only question in the instant appeal.”

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And hopefully more if SAF wins on appeal in Wrenn.

When tyou're spending tax payer money, it doesn't matter how many times you lose

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Very cheap considering the case lasted what,5 or 6 years? It's nothing. These anti-gun cities will continue to obstruct until they start paying in the millions.

Not even then. They will continue to obstruct until the amount they have to pay is a very large fraction of their entire budget. And the courts will never impose that, because to do so would prevent the city's government and/or services from being able to operate at all.

Hence, it's a foregone conclusion that these government entities will never stop obstructing on the basis of cost.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Very cheap considering the case lasted what,5 or 6 years? It's nothing. These anti-gun cities will continue to obstruct until they start paying in the millions.

Per the e-mail from "No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money":

"Thanks to the District of Columbia City Council and their anti-gun policies the taxpayers of the District are having to shell out $75,000 in legal fees to the Second Amendment Foundation. This is a result of their having lost Palmer v. District of Columbia and the award of attorneys' fees to the plaintiffs.

From the Legal Times:

(Alan) Gura, of Gura & Possessky, represented the plaintiffs who challenged the ban. He asked the court to award $54,720 in fees and costs in August 2014, but he continued to rack up billable hours while the city contested Scullin’s ruling and the two sides fought over whether the city had complied with the judge’s decision. In June, the parties told Scullin that they were attempting to reach an agreement on fees.

Notice of the settlement was filed with the court late Thursday. Gura declined to comment, as did a spokesman for the D.C. Office of the Attorney General.

In the aftermath of Scullin’s decision in the firearms case, Palmer v. District of Columbia, the city adopted regulations for residents who wished to apply for a permit to carry concealed firearms. Gura is challenging those regulations in a pending case, Wrenn v. District of Columbia.

While I feel for the taxpayers of DC, I take heart in the fact that there are many gun prohibitionists like Ladd Everitt of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (sic) who live in the District. " (bold & underline added)

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Not even then. They will continue to obstruct until the amount they have to pay is a very large fraction of their entire budget. And the courts will never impose that, because to do so would prevent the city's government and/or services from being able to operate at all.

Hence, it's a foregone conclusion that these government entities will never stop obstructing on the basis of cost.

Even then, I would argue that they will not stop "fighting the good fight". They see what they are doing as a holy war against violence.

What is the worse thing that could happen to local or state governments? They will float more bonds, and eventually declare bankruptcy which the feds will bail them out with.

Economics doesn't even register with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom