• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I should know this, but one of my co-workers is asking, and I want to be up to date. Please recap the procedure for DC resident to purchase .

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    1) Buy online, send to Sykes
    2) Go to Sykes, fill out PD-219
    3) Take PD-219 upstairs to MPD
    4) If first registered firearm, provide prints to MPD and expect a few days for return from FBI, there is also a video you have to watch
    5) Collect registration and return to Sykes to pickup handgun

Pro tip: If you have already registered a firearm previously, wait 10 days between the online purchase and going to Sykes and MPD. You will be able to get the registration card and pickup the gun same day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually, at this moment, I'd point him to the G19's at Atlantic Guns .

Just watch the Video ( at Sykes ?) ? No other training requirements ? Sykes would be first step ?

Yes, he's new to the area, first purchase .

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Apologies, and not trying to thread crap here... aside from 550ish for a new g19, what’s all the rest of the infringement costs?

Sales tax? Transfer fee? Prints? Permission slip? Registration? Other costs?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    $299 for LE trade in G19 .

Mr Sykes transfer fee is $100 ( unless gone up ). Unknown shiping fee from Atlantic . The DC Gov't fees I'll have to look up, unless someone posts here first .

But he definitely intends, and short of moving he doesn't have a choice about it .

Added - Per Realco's website, Mr Syke's fee is now $125 . Registration fee aprox $50 , unknown if that includes fingerprints, or additional .

But before we shake our heads too badly , they have Shall Issue, and we don't .

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    $299 for LE trade in G19 .

Mr Sykes transfer fee is $100 ( unless gone up ). Unknown shiping fee from Atlantic . The DC Gov't fees I'll have to look up, unless someone posts here first .

But he definitely intends, and short of moving he doesn't have a choice about it .

Added - Per Realco's website, Mr Syke's fee is now $125 . Registration fee aprox $50 , unknown if that includes fingerprints, or additional .

But before we shake our heads too badly , they have Shall Issue, and we don't .

Here is a link stating that Atlantic will ship one of the G19's to any FFL for $25.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5680225&postcount=70

Holy Sh!t, $125 transfer fee??? Is he the only guy in DC? Never realized it was so expensive to buy a handgun in DC??? WTF???

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a long story in itself, but Mr Sykes is the only FFL in Washington DC * That deals with the general public * , and it is essentially impossible for another FFL to open in DC .

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Actually, at this moment, I'd point him to the G19's at Atlantic Guns .

Just watch the Video ( at Sykes ?) ? No other training requirements ? Sykes would be first step ?

Yes, he's new to the area, first purchase .

Call Sykes to let him know you are sending him something. He gets cranky when things just show up.

The online video / class is the only training required.

https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

or

In addition, as MPD has done for the past four years, we will also accept as proof of adequate training:

Evidence that you have received firearms training in the United States military.

A license from another state which requires firearms training equal to that provided by MPD. Examples include, but are not limited to, a license or certificate for hunting or armed service as a special police officer.

Evidence that you have otherwise completed a firearms training or safety course conducted by a firearms instructor that is equal to that provided by the MPD.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Someone really needs to find a way to compete with his monopoly. You might be able to have a business that makes money in DC selling high end sporting guns and handguns.

It’s not his fault.

There are 4 or 5 FFLs in DC but at least 3 are Antis who got the FFL so they could hold it and not provide service. Zoning restrictions literally make it impossible to get a “store” so MPD has to provide Charles a spot.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    It’s not his fault.

There are 4 or 5 FFLs in DC but at least 3 are Antis who got the FFL so they could hold it and not provide service. Zoning restrictions literally make it impossible to get a “store” so MPD has to provide Charles a spot.

I know Sugarnann has one. Why would the other anti gun people get an FFL and not provide service?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I know Sugarnann has one. Why would the other anti gun people get an FFL and not provide service?

Prior to Clintion, it use to be much easier to get an FFL 01. That is when the DC applicants got their licences.

Sugarman has one.
    Arena Stage has one so they can buy prop guns.
    Shakespeare Theater also has one for prop guns.
    ATF has one.
    And then there is Sykes.

I have looked into getting one. DC zoning restrictions and ATF business restrictions make it EXTREMELY difficult.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Prior to Clintion, it use to be much easier to get an FFL 01. That is when the DC applicants got their licences.

Sugarman has one.
    Arena Stage has one so they can buy prop guns.
    Shakespeare Theater also has one for prop guns.
    ATF has one.
    And then there is Sykes.

I have looked into getting one. DC zoning restrictions and ATF business restrictions make it EXTREMELY difficult.

There's an Asian guy that was one too iirc but I think he is some police only type

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It’s not his fault.

I was under the impression that you couldn't get an FFL01 unless you had a place of business. BATFE requirement since Clinton tightened the regs. So how did these tools get an FFL?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I was under the impression that you couldn't get an FFL01 unless you had a place of business. BATFE requirement since Clinton tightened the regs. So how did these tools get an FFL?

Bingo.

They had their licences before Clinton tightened everything down.

Sugarman got his back in the day specifically to prove how easy it is to get one.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    FYI My last firearm purchase took well over 10 days, they said it could take up to 6 weeks or 6 months I can't remember which one they said. I would have to look at my paper work to see how long it took me but I had to call 3 times after my 10 days were up to get approved.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I gave him the info a cpl days ago, pointed him at Atlantic for the G19 , telling him if he didn't like Glock , he could flip it .

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    It’s not his fault.

No just one is an anti (sugermann) as far as i can tell. the other ones that seem to make no sense are theater or film production companies that want protection in case one of their stunt guns qualifies as working or constructive. That is not uncommon. LA and NYT show theatrics production or entertainment production "armorers" with FFLs.'

And sykes has always been $125, since 2008 when Heller became law.

That is about an $85 premium from metro area Md and VA FFL and since he doesn't stock guns and therefore doesn't make money from retail end it is even less of a premium.

It still blows but it is a higher crime area and he is probably more exposed to lawsuit and he has to deal with more red tape too.

Keep in mind you do NOT have to use him for any long gun, only handguns. For long gun you can use your purchase place as FFL or if bought online and shipped, negotiate a price with a Va or Md FFL. Last shotgun I bought online I had shipped to an FFL in Va and they charged me $40 transfer fee.

BTW if sykes goes out of business for some reason the DC code includes a proviso that MPD will act as FFL for the same $125 fee. Don;t know how that works with FFL laws but it is in DC code.

Additional pro-tip: On 10 day "waiting period", document your first part of the transaction, eg the initial order and this gets you earliest ten day threshold. DC and sykes will use order date, not shipping date or receiving date. so if you order on the 5th of the month, it is shipped on the 8th, and received on the 10th, your waiting period is over on the 15th, not the 18th or 20th -- if you bring in your order confirmation showing the 5th. Otherwise sykes has to go with the 20th when he got it

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    what’s all the rest of the infringement costs? Sales tax? Transfer fee? Prints? Permission slip? Registration? Other costs?

Fingerprint fee is $35. I paid once in 2008, they were not electronic. Second time in 2010 was electronic and I have not had to pay that again for either gun registration or carry permit since they havemy prints on computer file.
    Fee for registration is $13. You used to have to reregister and pay $13 again) every few years this was struck down in heller III.

First NEW handgun:
    $125 FFL Sykes
    $35 fingerprints (one time for all MPD firearms permits or registraions)
    $13 registration

Second New handgun
    $125 FFL Sykes
    $13 registration

First Handgun already owned brought into DC:
    $35 fingerprints (one time for all MPD firearms permits or registrations)
    $13 registration

other handguns already owned brought into DC:
    $13 registration

New Handgun registered in DC for DC resident at same time as carry permit:
    $125 FFL Sykes

Handgun registered in DC for non resident at same time as carry permit:
    $0

NEW Long gun*:
    $35 fingerprints (one time for all MPD firearms permits or registrations)
    $13 registration
    FFL fee in VA or Md

*[ long gun without sykes requires you go twice to Va or Md FFL or LGS, once bringing the forms and buying gun without taking it. You wait ten days, then bring them to mpD, get your registration and then return to LGS or FFL to get your gun. if you want using Sykes you just order say online gun seller and ship it to sykes saving you some travel time.

Transfer within family:
    MPD allowed me to do this twice a couple of years ago with no sykes and no $125 fee. Frankly this should be in the law and not something they allow "as a courtesy,' since DC does not allow your wife to touch your gun and visa versa and they could reverse this policy at any time making you pay $125 just to swap some gun registrations between spouses.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I gave him the info a cpl days ago, pointed him at Atlantic for the G19 , telling him if he didn't like Glock , he could flip it .

After you pay the $125 it isn't usually worth it to get rid of anything. I'd make sure you like it before buying a gun to keep in DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom