Asperger's as the Cause of Gun Grabbers' Beliefs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Edit: It looks like she really is autistic, OCD, and has selective mutism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

That does not make her climate outrage without solutions anymore relevant.

I'm not a psychologist and I don't play one on TV but I have a dear friend who has Aspbergers. We've known each other for decades. He has an incredible memory, a level of detail orientation that is amazing and can correlate facts in ways that many others cannot. That said, he sometimes searches for facts where there are none available and 'fills in the blanks' with what his history and research would imply are correct. He then moves forward with these assumptions and never questions them again. When those assumptions are incorrect, he's almost impossible to derail. He can recite some facts and correlate them to 'prove' his assumptions when there are better and more correct answers. Since he personally follows politics, this leads to a conspiracy mindset that can put him into a tailspin at times.

I see this young lady and view her self-righteous attitude, published history and terminal view of the planet in the context of my friend and it makes perfect sense. She went off the rails by reading 'facts' and never bothered to look at the fact that 40+ years ago we were afraid of a new ice age, 20+ years ago we were afraid of global warming and now we're afraid of 'climate change' (whatever that means). She correlated her facts and came up with a solution: it's our fault and everyone who doesn't see things my way must be evil. Perfectly understandable and 100% incorrect. Only someone she trusts would be able to break that cycle and ask her a few pointed questions to make her see where she assumed incorrectly. Indecision and 'gray areas' are not really in the nature of the Aspie, from my personal experience.

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    Only the scuzziest of people would weaponize and finance an autistic child for an ideological purpose.

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    You're dissing people on the spectrum with that statement. Also aspergers is a defunct designation since 2013 with the release of the DSM5. It was collapsed into autism spectrum disorder. I'd like to mention that although children are entitled to their opinion, they generally do not have an idea of how the world actually works until they're forced to fend for themselves.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Aspergers is not a thing officially anymore but I can tell you from quite a bit of experience that a large number of adults have used the diagnosis to 'find their way' in the world. To that end, I've met at least half a dozen fully functioning adults who, today, describe themselves as aspies. They do this (I think) because it helps them explain so much about themselves to others very quickly. When my buddy tells a joke and nobody in the room gets it, he immediately says "must have been an aspergers joke". It's always funny as long as you're putting things together as he is in his head. My wife (who works with folks on the spectrum) finds him hilarious.

BTW, I've been trying to figure out who the young lady reminds me of when she's putting on the grumpy faces and I figured it out. Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes! Not trying to be mean but the resemblance is remarkable...

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I would suggest it is the methodical and systematic brainwashing of our children by the education system.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    My son is an aspie. Loves guns. Respects the 2A.

#metoo.

How many citizens keep replicas of the COTUS and the Declaration of Independence pinned to their bedroom wall? Or have read them lately? My kid does and has. And I'll add, is more knowledgeable on why control is a bad idea than most other non-spectrum folks.

Perhaps a more accurate discussion of modern day gun grabbers is to compare them to Prohibitionists. Recall that, like the gun-grabbers of today, they were mostly women, inspired by a sense of self-rightousness, thought that they knew better than anyone else what was good for society, tried to legislate morality, and were wrong.

Netflix has the Ken Burns documentary on Prohibition. Grab a cold one while watching it, and note the parallels to the modern day gun control movement.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The crazy you commonly see in the eyes of the left is ideological possession. It's basically their brain pulling prepackaged ideas from memory banks, spouting them off, and then plugging them with a dose of dopamine. They can bypass all that uncomfortable thinking stuff and just fall back on the belief system they've been fed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You're dissing people on the spectrum with that statement. Also aspergers is a defunct designation since 2013 with the release of the DSM5. It was collapsed into autism spectrum disorder. I'd like to mention that although children are entitled to their opinion, they generally do not have an idea of how the world actually works until they're forced to fend for themselves.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    In my expert opinion (I say it whenever I can), Asperger’s should be a separate diagnosis. It’s not fair that very high functioning yet socially awkward people should be lumped in with people who are non-verbal. My son has designs on getting an MD-PHD so he can research.....mental illness and autism.
    #metoo.

How many citizens keep replicas of the COTUS and the Declaration of Independence pinned to their bedroom wall? Or have read them lately? My kid does and has. And I'll add, is more knowledgeable on why control is a bad idea than most other non-spectrum folks.

Perhaps a more accurate discussion of modern day gun grabbers is to compare them to Prohibitionists. Recall that, like the gun-grabbers of today, they were mostly women, inspired by a sense of self-rightousness, thought that they knew better than anyone else what was good for society, tried to legislate morality, and were wrong.

Netflix has the Ken Burns documentary on Prohibition. Grab a cold one while watching it, and note the parallels to the modern day gun control movement.
    Good post!!!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    In my expert opinion (I say it whenever I can), Asperger’s should be a separate diagnosis. It’s not fair that very high functioning yet socially awkward people should be lumped in with people who are non-verbal. My son has designs on getting an MD-PHD so he can research.....mental illness and autism.

Good post!!!

I could not agree more.

In terms of the question, no, Aspergers is not the root of gun control.

One of the traits of Aspergers is extreme fixations on a subject. Trains is a common one, but it really can be anything. Sometimes it can be something weird and obscure, like 1850s Norweigen Grandfather clocks, or something more mainstream, like a movie or book.

Now these interests ebb and flow, but when you have one, you just want to know everything there is to know about it and you are very passionate about it.

Another trait of Aspergers is that it can be difficult at times to learn to balance the right level of intensity. You might have two levels of intensity "Meh" and "Blitzkreig"

Another trait of Aspergers is difficulty in social interactions. This can make it easy to manipulate people with Aspergers unless they run with their shields up all the time and then those are the ones no one talks to cause they are afraid to talk. Now I know you might say "Well, she can give speeches, so she doesn't have social anxiety." I'm going to tell you, from personal experience, social anxiety and fear of public speaking are two different things. In public speaking, generally, people don't talk back, and you aren't expected to sustain a conversation, and you are talking about something you know about.

So when you combine those elements, it's entirely possible you could get someone very passionate about some who is also very eager to please someone.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I know a number of people who have Aspergers who are adamant about following the letter of the law.
    bipolar has a better chance of explaining things, but likely bursts into larger quantities of smaller incidents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom