• Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1996 for private sales of Regulated Weapons

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    So my elderly father recently moved in with my family so we can better care for him.
    He was a competitive shooter his entire adult life and won tons of state and national tournaments. I’ve enjoyed going through his boxes and boxes of trophies, awards, and shooting stuff in general to slowly pare down these items.

I found this last week and think it fits in with the spirit of this thread. Apparently, there were some fledgling Maryland pro-gun legislative groups as far back as the late 60’s :D

Attachments

• DB48D7D0-5002-4EB3-859B-CDA1AE12419A.jpg
      DB48D7D0-5002-4EB3-859B-CDA1AE12419A.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 269

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    American Rifleman, December 1966
    Md. Pistol Law Poses Problem

A requirement of the new Maryland pistol law barring purchase permits to anyone who has spent more than 30 consecutive days in a mental institution is virtually impossible to enforce, says Detective Capt. Edward A. Praley, of Annapolis.

"What makes us apprehensive is that we can't determine the mental condition of an applicant or how stable he is," Praley was quoted. "We would have to call every hospital or clinic in the State that treats mental conditions, and we just don't have the manpower.

"A person who has been approved to purchase a pistol may some day go berserk and kill someone, and the police will be blamed because we approved the application."

When Maryland enacted the law, which Praley termed "a step in the right direction," it was believed that the State Department of Mental Health and Hygiene kept centralized records of mental patients but it does not. Hence, Praley noted, each individual application would have to be checked with every institution in the State. Even that would not cover out-of-state institutions.

In a 3-month period after the law took effect July 15, Anne Arundel County approved approximately 400 permits and turned down only 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom