• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackalope

Since the wife is liking target shooting but still doesn't know if a gun in the house is a good thing (her mom really screwed her up growing up!) we're taking baby steps so jumping right to an AR15 or .45 isn't gonna happen for a bit. I have an old BB gun that we took out into the yard for the 1st time yesterday and she went thru about 150BB's and a bunch of co2 and she loved it. So I'm thinking I'll get an air soft gun for plinking in the yard but was wondering if any of you were into them and had any advice? I stopped by the AAco police and talked with a SGT. Graves and according to him BB and air soft guns for target shooting in my yard are perfectly fine, so long as the BB's don't leave the yard so I'm golden there.

I'm leaning towards a couple different co2 or green gas pistols but wonder if the electric rifles are any good? I watched some reviews on them and they look like they are but we all know the power of editing.

Any advice you guys can offer would be great, thanks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    why not just take her to the range where they rent gun.. have her try 22lr pistols and start from there..

i know few here train w/ airsoft... so nothing bad about that.. can learn trigger control (even though not the same as real ones, the pull of the trigger is softer than regular handgun).

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    They aren't as accurate as high velocity pellet/bb guns, but they are fun. I have electrics and I found them enjoyable for plinking at metal targets in the back yard. Rifles with hop up systems (put back spin on pellet to keep it in the air longer) are accurate to 50yds or more. Also they won't break stuff like a bb. Plus you can get replicas of guns we can only dream of owning in real life.

(I have a couple I don't use and could part with; pm me if interested.)

Jackalope

lx1x, we've done that twice and I've shown her how a gun is no different then a door stop once unloaded and locked but she's still scared to have a gun in the house. Like I said we're taking baby steps till she feels comfortable enough for having them in the house. Its taken me 17 years to get her to even hold a gun so I guess I shouldn't be surprised she still has her fears.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Jackalope, not to pry but what exactly are her issues, uncertanties, fears, etc... with regards to a firearm being in the house?

The reason I ask is that a lot of us who are married have dealt with the issue of firearm phobic spouses at some point and perhaps we can share some tactics that may help.

As far as airsoft or bb guns go, I think it's a good way to perhaps get her more comfortable but it doesn't quite substitute firearms ownership.

It would be like only having rubber knives in the kitchen because someone is afraid to get cut. They might get used to the rubber knives but deep down inside they still know they're rubber so they're not really getting over the issue entirely.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    lx1x, we've done that twice and I've shown her how a gun is no different then a door stop once unloaded and locked but she's still scared to have a gun in the house. Like I said we're taking baby steps till she feels comfortable enough for having them in the house. Its taken me 17 years to get her to even hold a gun so I guess I shouldn't be surprised she still has her fears.

:D:thumbsup:
    Jackalope, not to pry but what exactly are her issues, uncertanties, fears, etc... with regards to a firearm being in the house?

The reason I ask is that a lot of us who are married have dealt with the issue of firearm phobic spouses at some point and perhaps we can share some tactics that may help.

As far as airsoft or bb guns go, I think it's a good way to perhaps get her more comfortable but it doesn't quite substitute firearms ownership.

It would be like only having rubber knives in the kitchen because someone is afraid to get cut. They might get used to the rubber knives but deep down inside they still know they're rubber so they're not really getting over the issue entirely.

this! my wife was one until i told her i want to go hunting and need a shotgun..:innocent0

you both can join a league something like trap shooting (pg strap and skeet.. they rent the shotgun) or similar.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I bought an air soft pistol from Airsplat a few months back. It's green gas and I shoot it in the basement into a target (also available from Airsplat) that catches the plastic bb's so I don't end up with a mess on the basement floor. It's lot's of fun and while the trigger action is not like the real pistol as already mentioned, I do find it useful for practicing a steady trigger pull even if it is lighter. The are not horribly expensive and the supplies are reasonably priced as well. Airsplat has a huge inventory of every sort of air gun and rifle and they have been stand-up folks with orders I have placed with them.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I bought an air soft pistol from Airsplat a few months back. It's green gas and I shoot it in the basement into a target (also available from Airsplat) that catches the plastic bb's so I don't end up with a mess on the basement floor. It's lot's of fun and while the trigger action is not like the real pistol as already mentioned, I do find it useful for practicing a steady trigger pull even if it is lighter. The are not horribly expensive and the supplies are reasonably priced as well. Airsplat has a huge inventory of every sort of air gun and rifle and they have been stand-up folks with orders I have placed with them.

+1 for pistol practice Gas blowbacks are fun.

Jackalope

She's just terrified of guns, period. When I got her to the range and she took the .22 pistol in her hands for the first time she was shaking like a leaf! Her first few rounds were all over the place cause she could not steady her hands, however after the 2nd or 3rd mag she was putting 10 rounds in a group the size of an orange at 50 yards. I know it was only a little .22 but I was proud of her and think she did a fantastic job.

I'm looking at a match grade blow back .45 replica as soon as its back in stock that is. This way I figure she can transistion into allowing the real thing in the house. May also get a rifle as they just look fun. ;)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    She's just terrified of guns, period. When I got her to the range and she took the .22 pistol in her hands for the first time she was shaking like a leaf! Her first few rounds were all over the place cause she could not steady her hands, however after the 2nd or 3rd mag she was putting 10 rounds in a group the size of an orange at 50 yards. I know it was only a little .22 but I was proud of her and think she did a fantastic job.

I'm looking at a match grade blow back .45 replica as soon as its back in stock that is. This way I figure she can transistion into allowing the real thing in the house. May also get a rifle as they just look fun. ;)

Good God, if she can put 10 in a group the size of an orange at 50 yards I'd hate to see what she could do if she liked guns! I'd say the only person that should be afraid of firearms is whoever she's aiming at. :party29:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

maybe she will be comfortable shooting w/ bunch of women? there is a thread here somewhere about it.

Jackalope

Good God, if she can put 10 in a group the size of an orange at 50 yards I'd hate to see what she could do if she liked guns! I'd say the only person that should be afraid of firearms is whoever she's aiming at. :party29:

LMAO!!! Yeah I told her she did great. We just got done getting rid of some BB's out back at a foam block target and she put so many in the dead center I couldn't tell how many hits there was after 4 magizines.

Good news is that not only her but my oldest daughter said it was fun and they were disappointed it got too dark. So now the wife and my oldest are liking plinking! This is looking good!

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I used to regularly play airsoft, and for a period of time, was one of the founders and de-facto "head" of one of the largest regional airsoft organizations in the MD/VA area. I've recently started thinking about getting back into it, but a wife and kids tends to put a damper on the extra-curriculars. :lol2:

I've owned numerous green gas pistols as well as a veritable armory of electric airsoft guns. Once you get into the community a bit, ownership is rather fluid - you might find yourself making trades and your guns coming and going over the weeks and months. That's IF you actually pursue airsoft as a hobby or sporting event (much like paintball).

As to the quality of the guns themselves, Google and various airsoft forums/websites were of great use to me in regard to determining the quality of the products.

Personally, I cannot recommend anything by Classic Army enough - the fit and finish of their product is superb, and the function is fantastic. I'm actually using my airsoft M4 (with foregrip and Hurricane EOTech replica) as a training tool for my wife in regard to proper weapons handling. In conjunction with my green gas Beretta M9 (I believe the manufacturer is HFC), we can easily work on weapons swap/draw drills all night long without her additional uncertainty of handling real firearms (that comes a bit later - she's by no means afraid of them, and has gone shooting with me before, but just hasn't had a lot of experience).

Currently I have that CA M4, a CA MP5 (so much fun), and that HFC Beretta.

In the past I've used a variety of AR-type platforms, including an SR-25, M24 gas bolt action (not recommended, or perhaps I had a lemon), M16A1 replica for a Vietnam-themed event (very enjoyable), M14 (an awesome piece), and a variety of gas pistols (G19, G19 full auto, USP .45, Beretta M9, Sig 226, etc.)

I don't have any personal experience with electric pistols, so I won't speak to that.

If you're going to shoot often in your backyard, I recommend purchasing biodegradable BBs, as the regular plastic BBs obviously take much, much longer. Most airsoft BBs are white, however, you can order black, either for a stealthier option (most opponents use the "trail" of white BBs much like a tracer, and can pinpoint your direction of fire) or so they blend in with the grass/ground better for appearances' sake.

BBs come in different weights, and IIRC, .20 gram were recommended for most AEGs (automatic electric guns). .30s are a bit heavier, and recommended for high-powered gas sniper rifles, and .12 grams were often recommended for things like airsoft shotguns, or pistols (the distances on those aren't too great - 10-25 yards tops). I want to say .25s are available as well.

In fact, most of the tac gear I now use for real-steel (as they call actual firearms in the airsoft world) I can credit to my interest in airsoft. Drop-leg rigs, CIRAS vest (the real deal, not a replica), pouches, comms, etc.

Not a bad hobby to get into, to be honest. I might start looking into it again, and obviously could talk your ear off about it, so if you find yourself needing some additional info, feel free to ask. :)

P.S. Sorry for the necro, was just browsing various forums of interest and happened upon this topic.
    P.P.S. Updated with an image gallery, for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/WfzfQ#0

Last edited:

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I have a electric HK P30 that is a good time. I would consider them relatively accurate. They are more fun, then for practical training (in terms of actual feel of recoil, trigger pressure, etc.) But the one I have goes semi or full auto. Its a good time to shoot paper targets or plinking. No need for Co2, just get 4 batteries, and your good to go. Extremely safe as well.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Jackalope
    Get your daughter involved in a junior shooting program (NRA, Jaycees, 4 H, CMP) and maybe your wife will go along to watch/help and be exposed to positive gun activities. Plus your daughter will learn and have a lot of fun.

Blacksmith101

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Jackalope, my son and I were getting into airsoft a good bit. I think the electric shoulde guns are a very feasible way to go. For a pistol, I prefer mag fed semi auto CO2 airsoft. The gas pistol trigger pull more closely simulated actual firearm trigger pull.

Also the shorter range and power of the airsoft is excellent for engaging multiple targets, such as soda cans. I've used mine to practice for bowling pins shoots on comparable sized targets. The lesser quality trigger forces one to really focus on trigger control and maintaining sight alignment. Good to practice barricade and odd position shooting once she gets tgere also. Your idea of getting a working slide is a good one, I was looking at some 1911 models at Shortie's just across the Delaware line. Nice airsoft store.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The possibilities are endless. Airsplat and others have great deals on some decent toys. All you need is a blanket funneling into a box for an indoor shooting gallery. Once you get her used to blasting away with the airsoft then you can transition her into 22's and then real guns. I routinely use airsofts to teach and practice marksmanship before taking noobs out to burn real ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom