• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I can confirm that a Gamo air gun in .22 with pba pellets will address the problem at the ranges you are looking to cover

air gun will work fine at the distances you mention.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Consider the energy of the round since that is what does the work. In my opinion the minimum energy for a humane kill on a groundhog, at close range 25 yds. with a well placed shot, would be a standard velocity .22 short weighing 27 to 29 grains. The ballistics tables show that equals something in the range of 60 to 70 foot pounds of energy at 25 yds. A better choice would be a .22 Long Rifle either sub sonic or standard velocity weighing 38 to 40 grains. This has an energy of 80 to 90 foot pounds at 25 yds. Look for an air rifle and "pellet" combination that will give equivalent energy at 25 yds.

If you can't shoot them with something adequate to insure a humane kill then either trap and dispatch them or use smoke bombs. Respect life even when you have to take it.

Not sure I agree with your assessment of how much energy is needed. I think a decent .22 air rifle with a heavy pellet is more than enough to humanely dispatch a groundhog.
    See the video:

To add, here is an article on hunting groundhogs

But, you aren't under-killing that's for sure. It's better to have more power than needed than not enough.

carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I've taken a dozen or so over the past few years with a .25 PCP. My first attempt was a full auto Drozd Blackbird. That was a lot of fun, but those bb's just bounced off em. After one laughed at me, I picked up a Benjamin Marauder.

That was a great starter PCP and did a great job, but I wanted a little more excitement and picked up a select fire Evanix MAX. Sometimes you just want to go full auto on those little bastards.

Personally, I wouldn't go less than .25 on them. They are tough little blighters.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Agreed, caught my first one this morning in a trap. The instructions for the trap are BS. I followed them and I caught nothing. I went on line and read a completely different approach to using the trap and it worked.

I'd be interested in that link.

Not sure I agree with your assessment of how much energy is needed. I think a decent .22 air rifle with a heavy pellet is more than enough to humanely dispatch a groundhog.
    See the video:

To add, here is an article on hunting groundhogs

But, you aren't under-killing that's for sure. It's better to have more power than needed than not enough.

That is impressive.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If your budget for an air rifle is $500, you might as well buy a .22 suppressor.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My brother has an older model of the Talon SS from AirForce in .22, bought it from an exterminator of all people.

Has no issues dropping raccoons and groundhogs, cleanly. Have no idea what they usually cost, but it definitely does the job - quietly too if you drop the power some.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I have used an RWS model 32 with heavy .177 pellets to slow it down and improve accuracy. I shot one of those ground squirrels in Wisconsin using my wife's shoulder as a rest. It's head came off with jets of blood from the body. My wife thanked me for the visual that she will never get out of her head. I would say anything advertised at 1100 fps. Using a heavy pellet (.177 HP) will slow it down to 850 fps. I'm with the post that before spending 500 bucks on a precision air gun you can buy a suppressor for a .22. But with the .22 shortage I have been getting a lot of target use from my air guns.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I shoot a .25 Benjamin Marauder. It is hard on squirrels and ghogs. They come with a Green Mountain barrel and are very accurate. Very good gun and very quiet. They are shrouded/suppressed. I can shoot mine in the dining room and my wife doesn't hear it in the kitchen. It will nearly remove the head from a squirrel. More than adequate for groundhogs. I think it is generating about 45 ft lbs of energy.

Vic

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I'm pretty addicted to Bigbore airguns and will bypass my HMR and .204 to grab my .408 air rifle whenever I see a groundhog inside 200 ish yards. Something about slinging a 230 grain hollowpoint near silently with nothing more than air :)

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    A lot depends upon your budget. Groundhogs are tough creatures and you need sufficient power and accuracy to make proper brain shots. Quality airguns can do it, but you may be looking several hundred dollars - minimum.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    My brother gave me his 22cal air rifle which I will use for squirrels and rabbits. I think I will look into a 25-30 cal air rifle for groundhogs. That is if the traps I putnout does not get then.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I dropped a massive whistlepig yesterday with my crosman nitro venom at about 70 yards. Shot was standing, unsupported, vs a broadside target. Ran about 2 feet, dropped, and was dead by the time I walked over. No blood, just a small entry hole.

A .22 pellet rifle with decently heavy pellets pushing anywhere from 600-800fps will most certainly do the job. The key is shot placement.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I dropped a massive whistlepig yesterday with my crosman nitro venom at about 70 yards. Shot was standing, unsupported, vs a broadside target. Ran about 2 feet, dropped, and was dead by the time I walked over. No blood, just a small entry hole.

A .22 pellet rifle with decently heavy pellets pushing anywhere from 600-800fps will most certainly do the job. The key is shot placement.

Benjamin Rogue
    http://www.crosman.com/rogue-357

Saw video at the NRA Sportsman show in Harrisburg of this rifle killing Warthogs.

So we are talking head shots? These bastards are tough....Well maybe from AA County they aren't? Here in Carroll,, they drink beer.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    So we are talking head shots? These bastards are tough....Well maybe from AA County they aren't? Here in Carroll,, they drink beer.

Haha nope, shot right behind the shoulder, I'm guessing lungs or heart. Not gonna lie, I was surprised it dropped so fast. This was a Carroll County beast too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom