• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Personally, I'd use a .22 rifle - it's only going to be marginally louder than a powerful airgun, and even if a neighbor complains, you can always say that you used the airgun.

A .22 with CBs makes less noise than my Disco by a good margin. Add a suppressor and they are quieter than an Mrod.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I would say that a suppressed .22, as long as subsonic, might be as quiet as my MRod. But I bought my whole rifle for much less than your suppressor plus license.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I agree with Jmorrismetal.

CCI Quiets and use this as an excuse to suppress :)

In all honesty, you probably won't even need the suppressor with the Quiets and a rifle.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I would say that a suppressed .22, as long as subsonic, might be as quiet as my MRod. But I bought my whole rifle for much less than your suppressor plus license.

A $200 mrod would be a smoking deal, new they are over $400, with no way to aim or fill to fire.

Here is a video with a .22 mrod firing side by side with a 77/22 that has a form 1 can I built on it. $200 for the stamp (there is no license), I already had the aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXMYpYFZ8c

Also nice to be able to make any .22 with a threaded barrel quite with it.

FB_IMG_1439214768737_zpspdjz4bu6.jpg

Not to mention an Mrod is not a cheap air rifle and once you have one you are not done spending money, unless you just want to look at it. To be able to shoot it, you will have to buy a way to fill it.
    Hand pumps start around $140 and are not much fun to use even less so after you get over 2000 psi (mrod fills to 3000 psi). If you go with a carbon fiber 4500 psi SCBA tank to fill it, you can spend more on a way to fill the rifle than the rifle cost in the first place.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I thought the stamp was $400 just to be able to buy a suppressor, maybe I am wrong. Also, I doubt many people on here can build their own suppressor. I guess you can go the flashlight route. What does a basic suppressor cost. I thought for a good .22 suppressor you would pay around $700. I priced some for .308 and they were significantly more than that rifle also.

I like suppressors. Want to own them. I just see the stamp as another way for the Government to track me. Air rifles kind of stay under the radar. I made my choice. I also added a larger shroud to mine to make it even quieter.

I like what I have. Works for me. Nice shot on the copperhead.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Stamp is $200. Top of the line 22LR can is about $400. You figures are ~2x high.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Yep, the stamp is $200 if you make it or buy one.

I have one of these too, they were only $250 when they came out but still not out of the question if you don't have the ability to make your own. The QD is a good design and easy to use.
    http://www.griffinarmament.com/Checkmate-Rimfire-Thread-Mount-Silencer-p/gacmtm.htm

The .gov already knew where to find me from my other registered toys but if you are really that worried you shouldn't be posting on the Internet. The key words you typed above Government and track are likely already in a computer somewhere in the same file as the NICS Cabelas called in on you last year when you bought the rifle. Wouldn't surprise me if your Ruger mark I, Colt, high standard and neos were on that list too even if one or more of them were an "off the record" personal transaction.

I like my Mrod too, just pointing out alternatives that may or may not be better for the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom