• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00-Guy

Feb 15, 2008
    Last night while catching up on my Shotgun News reading, in the 1 June issue was an ad for refurbished M1 Garands (wood and parkerizing). Unlike Dean Gun Restorations, they do not replace the barrel. Oh yeah they are in Halethorpe, MD. Anyone hear of them?

paul....

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    They are the guys that tried to buy Armscor's m1a line.

Things went south. Not sure of details. If I understand things correctly it wasn't James Rivers fault. They usually have a table at Chantilly.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    if this is the same James River Armory that makes reproduction muskets their work is outstanding and they are good people to deal with. My Fayetteville shoots far better than I can and a pleasure to use.Picked it up from them 2 years ago.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I hate to say it, but I would pass on James River. I don't know what the current status is, but as Drmsparks mentioned James River purchased the Armscorp M14 receiver line, and their headquarters was listed to be in Millersville. I don't know what exactly happened, but as mentioned something went sideways in the deal, and as of about 3 months ago production had ceased on Armscorp receivers and there was a split within the company. I don't know what the current status is at Armscorp, or what is going on today. If they are now located in Halethorpe, that is probably where the current owner landed after things blew up in Millersville.

All this makes a good soap opera for the Young and the Restless, but may or may not mean much to you when you are looking to buy a new Garand. However, what is relevant at least in my own little corner of the world was my James River experience. The only thing I can tell you is I bought one of the Armscorp M14 receivers right after James River took control of Armscorp.

How can I politely say this...............the receiver looked like shit. I admit I am picky, but the machine work on the receiver was terrible in my opinion. I sold the receiver as fast as I could, and got my money back. The buyer I sold the receiver to was very happy, and the receiver probably built up into a decent gun, but the workmanship on the receiver was not what I expected. Again, I am picky though. The machine work was terrible, as was the casting, and parkerizing. I've got a bit of experience with M14 type rifles. My Springfield receivers are much better made than the Armscorp, and the LRB receiver I got a chance to examine is even superior to my Springfields.

For Garand stuff I would try Dean's, Orion 7, Arrington Accuracy, Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks, Fulton Armory, Clint Fowler, or Gus Fisher. These are all guys that have earned their stripes in the Garand and M14 world. To make a long story short (too late I know) there are so many reputable vendors in the Garand market, why take a chance with an outfit that has had some issues and recent turmoil? The key words here are "recent turmoil." :) Good luck.

Last edited:

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    Talked to Mark Hartman of JAMES RIVER ARMORY today at Timonium. I didn't see or ask about the m14's, he had m1 garands and carbines at his table, many parts and accessories also. I bought a few things and two new ar mags - the new curved ones with the magpul followers. James River is in Halethorpe now.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    I saw the JR guys test firing carbines and Garands at the AGC a few months back. Seem like nice guys but there stuff is a bit overpriced considering the CMP prices.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Talked to them at Timonium. They do nice restorations on Carbines and Garands. Mostly GI parts, premium prices but look like new and all have an under 2 on the muzzle gauge. All stocks are new and "restamped". I suspect they are handpicking and refinishing CMP guns.

If I wanted a premium M1 Carbine or Garand I would do business with them, however for my next projet (paratrooper) I am fine with something a little rougher.

They go to almost all the Maryland Shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom