• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    Summary of American College of Preventive Medicine and American Public Health Association Amicus brief:

Crime was reduced in Kansas City after (illegal) handguns were confiscated in high crime areas. Therefore, preventing lawful carry of handguns will even further reduce crime.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    You are really getting snarky and mean spirited now.

So how about one for eternal optimistic disciples of Dorothy & Toto. Those who believe that clicking red shoes together will always get the right result. Those that believe that even tin Judges have hearts of gold. Those that can only see the blue sky behind the thunderclouds.

Let's all skip gaily down the Yellowbrick road to Munchkinland because there's only good things there. Maybe you could start that one?

Can I have some of that shit you are smoking? :crazy:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You are really getting snarky and mean spirited now.

So how about one for eternal optimistic disciples of Dorothy & Toto. Those who believe that clicking red shoes together will always get the right result. Those that believe that even tin Judges have hearts of gold. Those that can only see the blue sky behind the thunderclouds.

Let's all skip gaily down the Yellowbrick road to Munchkinland because there's only good things there. Maybe you could start that one?

I'm not mean spirited. Call them lke I see them.Seems like I struck a nerve huh?Judges' heart composition have nothing to do with the decision. I'm not going to drive this thread off topic any more than it has been.

Gotta go feed Toto.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Summary of American College of Preventive Medicine and American Public Health Association Amicus brief:

Crime was reduced in Kansas City after (illegal) handguns were confiscated in high crime areas. Therefore, preventing lawful carry of handguns will even further reduce crime.

So, back on track...

I'm watching the TV version of Freakanomics yesterday, and I was wondering how they'd deal with rapid decrease of crime in the early 1990s.

In the book it's pretty clear that the author(s) are NOT pro-gun. However, even they had to admit that stricter gunlaws could not account for reduction of crime in any meaningful way. (more than a few percentage points...)

When a rather liberal person admits that the data doesn't support nonsense like the above... I love it.

GB

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    Here's an idea. We have a seperate thread specifically for updates. Anybody who is interested can subscribe to it. A mod locks the thread and only updates it when there's new news.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

You're joking, correct? Was this really a brief in this case?

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Here's an idea. We have a seperate thread specifically for updates. Anybody who is interested can subscribe to it. A mod locks the thread and only updates it when there's new news.

Great idea. Timely updates happen/means when something REALLY happens. In reality, there is only 1 outcome left every one is waiting for, does it "stay" or does it go.

At least there would be the one place you could go to and not have to sift through crud to find the outcome or latest rulings/news etc. PLEASE lock it to only the moderator or person running it!

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    So I just read the APHA's brief, and have a question. When Gura and Co. respond to the states brief are they allowed to also respond to the amicus briefs or are they restricted to only what the state said? There were a lot of points that can easily (and should) be refuted or at least addressed to give the whole story.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    Great idea. Timely updates happen/means when something REALLY happens. In reality, there is only 1 outcome left every one is waiting for, does it "stay" or does it go.

At least there would be the one place you could go to and not have to sift through crud to find the outcome or latest rulings/news etc. PLEASE lock it to only the moderator or person running it!

+1

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

I know...they are grasping at straws so thin that even they have to admit in writing the logic is tortured.

It was like this at the District Court's hearing on Woollard: the state claimed that there have been cases where a permitted carrier in Texas did something bad, and the judge asked what the percentage of bad acts were in the carrier population. The state conveniently did not know, but Gura chimed in with something like, "0.015%, you honor."

It was funny.

There's a certain amount of signal/noise filtering everyone has to do on the internet. It's part of the experience. That said...if someone gave Krucam overlord rights in this thread, we'd all have a vastly different experience as his jack-boot starts swinging at tail-ends. :lol2:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So I just read the APHA's brief, and have a question. When Gura and Co. respond to the states brief are they allowed to also respond to the amicus briefs or are they restricted to only what the state said? There were a lot of points that can easily (and should) be refuted or at least addressed to give the whole story.

Gura can and will respond to both the state's brief and all the briefs of amici supporting the state. That's the idea of making amici file 7 days after the party that they support. It gives the other side a chance to read and respond to the briefs of amici and it helps amici craft their brief with full knowledge of what the party they are supporting is saying. Same thing for the amici supporting Woollard. The state files its reply brief 7 days after the briefs of amici supporting Woollard are filed (which are filed 7 days after Gura files).

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    There's a certain amount of signal/noise filtering everyone has to do on the internet. It's part of the experience. That said...if someone gave Krucam overlord rights in this thread, we'd all have a vastly different experience as his jack-boot starts swinging at tail-ends. :lol2:

Thats why I said a new thread should be made available.This one can continue on in infamy :D

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    When you buy Patrick another dinner, you will feel better :lol2:
    That recurring annual bet is gonna end up with me buying him one, one of these years.

I'll make good for the previous times, though: a Super Value meal and a choice of dessert!

In fairness, he could (and should) claim victory with Woollard... :innocent0

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom