• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your prefered carry position while driving in a car?

• Right hip (righthanded)

Votes: 20 48.8%
    • Left hip (right handed cross draw)

Votes: 1 2.4%
    • Right hip (left handed cross draw)

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • left Hip (left handed)

Votes: 3 7.3%
    • Shoulder holster (or similar)

Votes: 3 7.3%
    • holster under steering wheel

Votes: 4 9.8%
    • other

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've made a poll to provide some level of anonymity to the replies.

I've found that carrying from 3:30-5 o'clock positions is.. rather challenging to access the firearm while seated in the car. I'm sure others have come across this and while everyone's different etc etc... i'm still curious what people use or think they might use.

Updated poll to be mutli selection!

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I chose other. I keep my gun concealed IWB unless it's a very long drive, then I take it out and throw it in the glove box or under the seat. I keep a J frame in my vehicle at all times in a hidden area that is easily accessible from the driver's seat so when I'm in my vehicle I rely on that for defense.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I didn't see in the hand, waving it around while steering.

So, I had to select RH/RH. Mine sits around 5 O'Clock, while seated it's positioned in the free space between by back and the seat. It's actually easy to forget it's even there, plenty of room.

I'm IWB so "hip" isn't accurate and would be (IMO) a little uncomfortable with the seat belt.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Driving situation dependent. Interstate/long drives, just lay it right in the cup holder/console.
    Out and about shopping/in and out of the car, just leave it on my hip.
    More questionable areas with stop lights, MIC holster(that little kydex sleeve that covers the trigger guard) tethered to the gear shift, then tucked under my thigh. Sometimes in a suede holster wedged in between my seat and the console.

If it's my HK45C, safety on and under my thigh.

I'm not so much worried about being attacked in my vehicle. My distance from the car in front of me and situational awareness is turned up to 11 at traffic stops. I will be flooring it through my escape route.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Carrying while driving is a major selling points of AIWB for me. It's right up front, easy to access, and comfortable, provided you carry something around G19 size or smaller.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    In whatever the holster of the day is. If it is a long driver I prefer OWB.

More important of how you carry is your situational awareness. Not getting blocked in. Checking your mirrors. Being alert to the area.

I've never felt the need to every handle my firearm inside a vehicle. I've tilted in my sit to gain easy access to it in certain circumstances but driving around with a gun in the console without window tint doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Other. Appendix. Works on my 8 hour+ rides without issue, provides very ready access.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Right hip, right hand. I figure the gas pedal is pretty useful to get out of trouble, and may involve running into/over things, so I dont want the gun loose and flying around if I need to skeedattle aggressively. It may also be hugely beneficial to have the gun physically on you if you need to ditch out of the car in a hurry, without time to open a box or get the gun from wherever it slid/flew to.

When carrying(but really just when driving through town in general), situational awareness goes up and I generally tuck garments under the holster ahead of time to reduce steps needed to draw it. I've also practiced ditching my seat belt in a hurry and grabbing the seat recline. I figure it may be important for dropping me under the engine/freeing up space to hip-up for the draw for a threat in front. It's probably also good to practice clearing the seatbelt with your left hand.

I do think it would be cool to have a backup gun holstered in the driver door storage compartment. For someone approaching the drivers side, its easier to conceal moving to a gun in that location and you could probably get away with the first shot just going through the door panel with most service calibers.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I think some forum members would be amazed at how little most of us who are LE concern ourselves when off duty.

Carry off duty? - Yeah usually.
    Obsess about it? - Hell no.
    Make a plan for 100 different scenarios? - Never.

It's like the days of the infamous MAG lights. The less experienced the cop, the bigger the MAG light he carried. Not knocking anybody, just offering a different perspective. Do it simple and do it well. The more options you have, the more chances you have to f#!k up.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    between the console and seat. My F150 holds it perfectly. In case I get pulled over I have to notify of concealed weapon anyhow, and how to proceed. Hands on the steering wheel window down.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    My carry is simple I have a little button on my mirror marked SOS it will assist the police in locating my body, since the overseers in Annapolis don't believe I have a need to carry for self defense.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The more options you have, the more chances you have to f#!k up.

Any handgun I am carrying is always in the same place regardless of what I'm doing. I've just gotten used to it being there.

I'm solidly in this camp. I've carried just about every time I've left the house for the last 19 years. It's always right side and covered. There's 15 more rounds on my left side. In those 19 years I've been involved in ONE situation off duty where it might have been useful to have. I have trained to get that concealing garment clear of the gun but I've saved myself a lot more trouble by adhering to the "Four Stupids Rule".

Sorry, probably off track a bit there. I carry in the same spot for muscle memory. I need my gun it's on my right hip. My spare mag is on my left. I like my plans simple.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I think some forum members would be amazed at how little most of us who are LE concern ourselves when off duty.

Carry off duty? - Yeah usually.
    Obsess about it? - Hell no.
    Make a plan for 100 different scenarios? - Never.

It's like the days of the infamous MAG lights. The less experienced the cop, the bigger the MAG light he carried. Not knocking anybody, just offering a different perspective. Do it simple and do it well. The more options you have, the more chances you have to f#!k up.

This is a GREAT point. However, i posted the question because i haven't found MY good/comfortable/consistent spot and was seeking opinions on how others did it.

Example: AIWB is amazing, until i sit down. It's tolerable but... really need something more comfortable. 3.8" XDM, typical "dad gut" haha.

or another example.. i typically carry IWB in that void someone else talked about between the seat and seat belt. Works great! don't have to re holster when getting in/out of the car.. BUT.. it's not easily accessible while driving.

I was looking for a balance between the two.

Great feedback either way though. everyone! oh and yes.. i did forget "in the hand while holding the wheel waving it back and forth" ahhaha. omg, do you think i live in Baltimurder?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    This is a GREAT point. However, i posted the question because i haven't found MY good/comfortable/consistent spot and was seeking opinions on how others did it.

Example: AIWB is amazing, until i sit down. It's tolerable but... really need something more comfortable. 3.8" XDM, typical "dad gut" haha.

or another example.. i typically carry IWB in that void someone else talked about between the seat and seat belt. Works great! don't have to re holster when getting in/out of the car.. BUT.. it's not easily accessible while driving.

I was looking for a balance between the two.

Great feedback either way though. everyone! oh and yes.. i did forget "in the hand while holding the wheel waving it back and forth" ahhaha. omg, do you think i live in Baltimurder?
    It was a reference to a recent road rage/wear&carry thread.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Carrying while driving is a major selling points of AIWB for me. It's right up front, easy to access, and comfortable, provided you carry something around G19 size or smaller.

Every BODY is different but i've tried an AIWB holster for my Springfield XDM Compact (3.8"). i THINK that's comparable to G19 in size.. It's amazing while standing.. sitting down is.. different. i have to loosen the pants up and almost rest the muzzle on my pelvic bone to be tolerable more than 10 minutes. This is assuming i'm sitting UP.. instead of leaning back a bit.

yes.. i do have a dad belly 6'5" 260lbs.. but i just can't seem to get this to be comfortable as an AIWB carry while sitting.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Every BODY is different but i've tried an AIWB holster for my Springfield XDM Compact (3.8"). i THINK that's comparable to G19 in size.. It's amazing while standing.. sitting down is.. different. i have to loosen the pants up and almost rest the muzzle on my pelvic bone to be tolerable more than 10 minutes. This is assuming i'm sitting UP.. instead of leaning back a bit.

yes.. i do have a dad belly 6'5" 260lbs.. but i just can't seem to get this to be comfortable as an AIWB carry while sitting.

I am a similar size, I got this and it is great....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAVXDDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom