• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Well I just had a lousy day

I'm a pyrotechnician and have been making fireworks since I was 12. I just turned 57. So my pyro shed got broken into and trying to be a good citizen called the cops to report it. Cops showed, then the bomb squad. I'd called the precinct asking for the BS's number and tried to call multiple times. They never answer.

What was stolen were chems useful for making M80's. Dark aluminum and potassium percolate. Most of my stuff wasn't touched. It was very targeted.

So after hours of interrogation, I was given 2 options:
    Sign this piece of paper surrendering all your pyro supplies for "safe keeping" or
    We arrest you and take your stuff anyway. Threatened 25 years in prison for possessing basic chemicals.
    Well, I'm talking to you now, so guess which way I went.
    I mean it's ONLY 12-14K worth of chems and equipment that the state just ripped me off for. I have taken the matter up with my lawyer.

Fuels and oxidizers were separated in cabinets 4' apart.

The upsides are that I met and got to know a bit a really cool cop. Regret not asking for contact info.

The BS detective gave me contact info to appeal the seizure. So I might get my stuff back.

On the downside, I was told that I would get arrested if I ever ordered any pyrotectinical chems. So much for purchasing any cleaning products from GIANT or Home Depot.

PISSED OFF!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I guess the key question is were the materials possessed and stored IAW MD Fire Marshall and Federal BATFE regs? If so, yeah, you have good reason to be angry.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    MSP and I'm pretty sure BATFE took the president of the Crackerjacks fireworks club to the cleaners when he got ratted out by a disgruntled family member about 15 years ago for manufacturing fireworks in MD. I can't remember the exact charges and case search is down, but I'd consider yourself lucky. Unless something has changed in the last 10 years or so you would be required to have the correct licenses from both BATFE and MSP to do what you were doing.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    I guess the key question is were the materials possessed and stored IAW MD Fire Marshall regs? If so, yeah, you have good reason to be angry.

I have no idea. I had brought up my hobby and was seeking a explosives manufacturing permit/licence with BATFE to manufacture black powder. The Fire Marshal may have been mentioned by them somewhere along the line. Next ppl to contact on my list was DoT.

Have a link to said regs?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have no idea. I had brought up my hobby and was seeking a explosives manufacturing permit/licence with BATFE to manufacture black powder. The Fire Marshal may have been mentioned by them somewhere along the line. Next ppl to contact on my list was DoT.

Have a link to said regs?

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/firemarshal/Documents/Maryland%20Code%20%20Public%20Safety%20Article%20Title%2011%20-%20Explosives.pdf

11-114 (b) would be the relevant section:
    Possession of explosives other than explosives for use in firearms without license prohibited.-Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess explosives other than explosives for use in firearms in the State unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

followed by 11-114 (g): Penalty.-Except as otherwise provided in § 11-116 of this subtitle, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/firemarshal/Documents/Maryland%20Code%20%20Public%20Safety%20Article%20Title%2011%20-%20Explosives.pdf

11-114 (b) would be the relevant section:
    Possession of explosives other than explosives for use in firearms without license prohibited.-Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess explosives other than explosives for use in firearms in the State unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

followed by 11-114 (g): Penalty.-Except as otherwise provided in § 11-116 of this subtitle, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

Thanks, but I had no finished fireworks only chems and have never made anything but fountains in this state. My fav 2 fireworks are buzzbombs and roman candles are my favs. Both are banned in MD :(

I was threatened w 25 years

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Both are banned in MD :(

I was threatened w 25 years

I'm waiting for MGA to just pass an omnibus bill making fun in any form, other than celebrating the greatness of the Party*, a felony in this state.

*Hopefully I don't need to spell out the name of the particular political party in question in these forums.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    You've been a pyrotech for 40+ years and didn't know how the law works or doesn't in this state? Something doesn't add up. Let's hear the whole story.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    You've been a pyrotech for 40+ years and didn't know how the law works or doesn't in this state? Something doesn't add up. Let's hear the whole story.

I grew up in Colorado and only moved out here for work.

I've only recently learned how malfunctional this corrupt and unconstitutional this state is.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Holy Moly,,
    It is not the MD laws you should concern yourself with, it is all the federal laws you were breaking.
    about 12-15 years ago I was involved in model rocketry with my kids, The BATF shut down the rocketry hobby for about 3-5 years.
    They were going undercover to rocketry launches and gathering evidence, etc.
    They considered the possession of ANY BP by a rocketeer as a jail able offence.

I am really surprised you aint in an orange jump suit.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    What promise would you believe from our state , they won't come after him ?? Somebody in the states attorney office gets this or catches wind it may change any chance of him losing just the product he still could lose his freedom . Play with fireworks you can get burned .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I grew up in Colorado and only moved out here for work.

I've only recently learned how malfunctional this corrupt and unconstitutional this state is.

You mean like this? (from another thread)

Yeah something I hate about this forum is when you spend a hour composing a post and a mod nukes it because they don't like what they see.

:rolleyes:

That tends to happen when said post is about how to commit criminal acts.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Holy Moly,,
    It is not the MD laws you should concern yourself with, it is all the federal laws you were breaking.
    about 12-15 years ago I was involved in model rocketry with my kids, The BATF shut down the rocketry hobby for about 3-5 years.
    They were going undercover to rocketry launches and gathering evidence, etc.
    They considered the possession of ANY BP by a rocketeer as a jail able offence.

I am really surprised you aint in an orange jump suit.

That really surprises me.

There is actually a book out there on making model rocket motors.

also: https://makezine.com/projects/make-35/homemade-sugar-rocket/

yeah, banning sugar and poop would go over really well with the public. /rolleyes

for 3-5 years? never heard of this. And when and why did they stand down? I used to be into rocketry, but w estes rockets.

I've followed pyro forums and the gvmt cracking down on pyros is pretty much never mentioned, jumping through regulatory hoops sometimes, but rarely.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    I'd suggest at this point that the OP let his attorney do the talking.

Yeah, he advised me not to say anything to the cops about this. Just venting because I'm really pissed. Think it's out of my system. Leaving it up to him now.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yeah, he advised me not to say anything to the cops about this. Just venting because I'm really pissed. Think it's out of my system. Leaving it up to him now.

This is a public forum. Anything you post could become evidence against you in the future, even if what you're saying doesn't seem inculpatory to you.
    There are a lot of folks here how keep posting "I will not comply" with any new anti-2A laws that are passed. I wish, for their sake, they wouldn't post that stuff.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Some questions and a suggestion

First if the theft was very targeted as you said in your original post then someone had to know the chemicals were there. How do you think they knew about them?

Can you get a pyrotechnics license? If you want to get back over $10k worth of chemicals it may be worth it right?

If you ever do get your chemicals back I suggest that you get some better/stronger storage units to prevent future thefts.

Wish you the best on resolving your situation.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

Yeah , but i am sure your attorney is not happy you are here telling this story with the internet in an open forum section that non-members can see without even so much the trouble of thinking of a clever screen-name .

This has not a thing to do with Maryland 2A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom