• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well shooting with a blurry eye and limiting myself to long guns (RFRO AND PCCO) I still managed to finish exactly as normal, right behind GM Tony R. and his 2 rifles as the only Master in the field. Not my best times but I had some moments and they were not too far off. Guess I will see about maybe doing PCCO at Super Steel.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep this saturday is the second one:

https://practiscore.com/pntc-may-2019-kahr-defensive-handgun-series-am-match-clone/register

https://practiscore.com/pntc-may-2019-kahr-defensive-handgun-series-pm-match/register

i'm also doing am and pm. for folks that like steel challenge, they're doing that am and pm also. for someone brand new, could do the morning steel challenge to get your feet wet, then afternoon kahr. or come out and watch morning kahr and do the afternoon.

for steel challenge, you draw and shoot five pieces of steel in various arrays, no movement except for one stage that you move six feet, and no reloading on the clock.

for kahr, you run around and shoot various cardboard and steel targets. low to no pressure, all fun, bring whatever gun you have with a decent holster, pcc allowed.

i think my morning squad is full, but afternoons are generally pretty open. my offer stands, any newbies that want to do the afternoon match can squad with me and i'll show you the ropes and you will have a lot of fun.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    ......and there's going to be a taco truck. Something about the idea of shooting in a sombrero is just plain interesting. Sombreros and crossed ammo bandoliers?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    ......and there's going to be a taco truck. Something about the idea of shooting in a sombrero is just plain interesting. Sombreros and crossed ammo bandoliers?

If it's as windy as it was this past Saturday, those sombreros are going to be turning into kites! With all of the dust flying around, I started getting flashbacks to SASS and shooting through a haze of BP smoke!

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am planning on going for the morning events. As a complete noob would you guys recommend the steel shoot or the Khar? In addition, even if I only do the AM event, can I use more than one gun?
    Thanks

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the steel challenge match will be a lot less complex. five steel plates on each stage, you draw and shoot and repeat that 4-5 times. reload between strings, so not on the clock. helps improve good solid fundamentals. no movement/running, just stand and shoot. there is one steel challenge stage where you shoot two plates then move 6-10' and shoot the other three, but other than that no movement.

in the kahr match, you draw and run around and shoot the various steel and cardboard targets. you most likely will have to reload while doing so. at least imo, it's a lot more fun. but because you're running around and reloading on the move, need to be more mindful of muzzle control and trigger finger control. generally muzzle must be pointed downrange and finger must be outside the triggerguard (i index on the slide) while moving, reloading, fixing a jam, etc.

if you want to do the afternoon kahr match, i'll make sure we squad together and i can show you the ropes. you can come up early and watch some or all of the morning match to check it out.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    the steel challenge match will be a lot less complex. five steel plates on each stage, you draw and shoot and repeat that 4-5 times. reload between strings, so not on the clock. helps improve good solid fundamentals. no movement/running, just stand and shoot. there is one steel challenge stage where you shoot two plates then move 6-10' and shoot the other three, but other than that no movement.

in the kahr match, you draw and run around and shoot the various steel and cardboard targets. you most likely will have to reload while doing so. at least imo, it's a lot more fun. but because you're running around and reloading on the move, need to be more mindful of muzzle control and trigger finger control. generally muzzle must be pointed downrange and finger must be outside the triggerguard (i index on the slide) while moving, reloading, fixing a jam, etc.

if you want to do the afternoon kahr match, i'll make sure we squad together and i can show you the ropes. you can come up early and watch some or all of the morning match to check it out.

Thanks for the info and offer. Unfortunately my schedule will only let me do the morning. I will probably sign up for the steel shot this time and if there is some down time watch the Khar match.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the info and offer. Unfortunately my schedule will only let me do the morning. I will probably sign up for the steel shot this time and if there is some down time watch the Khar match.

The Kahr match is just like the last part of the class we took. Just don't do what I did, shooting one handed, if you aren't required to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom