• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    Well I finally got to shoot the 458s I had loaded prior to even having my upper completed.

Down and Dirty:

Temp 43/Sea level

Tromix 10.5 Barrel
    Pistol Gas System
    BTE Adjustable Gas Block

Hornady 325 FTX
    New Starline Brass (Sized and trimed)
    Fed Lg Mag Pistol Primer
    H110 Powder
    2.200 OAL

28.5g

1377- Ejected but Did not feed next rd
    1422-FTF/ FTE
    1377- Ejected but did Not hold bolt open

29g

1458- 1/2 ejected
    1427- FTF
    1313* (William Tom Frank)*
    1458- Did not hold bolt open on last rd

29.5g

1470- Bolt Did hold Open on last rd

Only Crono today. Will load another batch of 29 and 29.5 for Accuracy and play with gas block and add the "Rubber City Armory" adjustable gas tube.

I am sure this is all going to be Null and void because ANY day now my Form 1 suppressor stamp will be in and that will change everything I have done and learned with the above data. But it worth the price of admission.

If anything I hope this will help the next guy get a starting point on load development for a similar set up.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Your charges are quite a bit less that what I have used in my 16" RRA.

With 34.5gn H110 I have pushed a 405 JSP 1680fps (not a starting load by any stretch though).

Once you get your can built, I like 14.3gn HS-6 or 15.4gn of HS-7 with the same 405gn JSP for subs.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    :P I'll sell you my entire .458 SOCOM RRA, 300+ Rounds (240 factory loads, rest are my reloads and should be pulled and redone), and Lee .458 Die Set :P

LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    Your charges are quite a bit less that what I have used in my 16" RRA.

With 34.5gn H110 I have pushed a 405 JSP 1680fps (not a starting load by any stretch though).

Yeah its all because my barrel length. I didn't get any pressure signs with 29.5 but I don't wanna go any higher then 1500 out of a 10.5 if I wanna get anything more then 2 loads out of the .83 cents piece of brass. I'm still looking at over 1500 lbs of energy for knock dwn punch.

I knew going into it with a 10.5 barrel I was gonna lose 150/200 FPS. But knowing this was always going to have a 10'' perm attached Ti can on it, I'd rather hump a 20.5 gun deer/hog hunting vs a 26'' one.

Where you getting that powder from for your subs ?

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    lol :P honest answer? I have a .50 Beowulf which I like better, and there is another thread in this forum about a .585 HE rifle, and this would pay for one.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    But knowing this was always going to have a 10'' perm attached Ti can on it, I'd rather hump a 20.5 gun deer/hog hunting vs a 26'' one.

Where you getting that powder from for your subs ?

I didn't want a 2 stamp gun and didn't want the can permanently attached so I could run cast bullet loads (didn't coat back then). To solve the OAL issue I made my can so it gained volume for the blast chamber bac over the barrel with fewer baffles out front.

layout.jpg

sxsxs.jpg

excmon.jpg

You can't get HS-7 anymore, they quit making it in the '90s. 3N37 would be a good choice. HS-6 is common.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    After some head scratching and some initial research, I've opened my wallet and bought a .458 socom upper.
    Yes, one of those spur-of-the-moment ideas.

While I'm not prepared to spend the $1,200+ on a Tromix or Wilson's upper, I got a decent deal on a complete upper from Midway USA.

As of the start of this post, there are 15 remaining, "on clearance".

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...y-upper-receiver-assembly-458-socom-16-barrel

Which brings me to this -

Does anyone have any loading/reloading data on the cartridge that you'd like to share???

I did a search and found this thread and one other, here.

I'm not really looking for sub-sonic loads or even shoulder mangling, panzer tank stopping loads.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom