• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I built a 10/22 way back. Blue Green Mountain 20” bull barrel, laminated stock, etc.. Heavy for a 22. I recently built another bull barrel 10/22 with a takeoff 16.25” Ruger hammer forged barrel. I hogged out the barrel channel in the factory wood stock then bedded the reciever end. Afterward, I epoxied in a forward pressure pad. An improved trigger, bolt releases with pulling but bolt back, Power extractor and it shoots and runs great. Best of all it is light enough to handle well and has just enough weight out front to dampen muzzle wobble when shooting offhand.

Edited: BX trigger is in the Take Down

Last edited:

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Took my KIDD build out today. Barrel, trigger, springs and such. Was shooting the centers out of clay pigeons and then the remaining ring. Placing them I could get three shots on one pigeon. Suppressed with cci SV at 115 yards supported by a tree. Thing is so accurate!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My 10/22 was found in a closet at my moms house, long story... It started out life as a carbine but has evolved into a dime sized group at 50yds paper punching machine. The only thing original at this point is the receiver. I've got about 2K into it, unfortunately. Contemplated getting a chassis but I bedded the Boyds stock it's in and am happy with the fit and feel.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Who doesn't love their 10/22?

I hate mine. I have a backpacker with threaded barrel I shoot with a suppressor. It’s very inaccurate and what drives me crazy is every time I go to the range I have to resight in because I am off at least two inches at 25yards. It’s a cheap junk!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I hate mine. I have a backpacker with threaded barrel I shoot with a suppressor. It’s very inaccurate and what drives me crazy is every time I go to the range I have to resight in because I am off at least two inches at 25yards. It’s a cheap junk!

Don't take it apart every time? I'm guessing you're running a scope and when you remove the barrel you're going to get some shift. Is it reliable other than your POI shift? I torque my stock screw to exactly 22 ft/lbs whenever I remove the action from the stock. All rifles are subject to POI shift when you move the barrel in relation to the scope. Even with my $200 QD scope mounts I don't expect them to be 100% accurate after I take them off and put them back on. If it's close (within a 1/2" of zero) I'm happy. YMMV

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Who doesn't love their 10/22?

I have half a dozen collecting dust in the back of the safe, get no real enjoyment out of them. Thinking about ditching a couple just because...

I do love taking out my Winchester model 62 pump, my M99 copy Glenfield 70 and even my Armscor 22 much more. All of those are more fun to shoot, especially the model 62.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    How much for your 10/22? I need a new project.

My BIL has a Marlin model 60. The tubular magazine limits his shooting, slow to reload. I like my Marlin Model 62 lever gun because it's a lever gun. However, if I needed a .22 for survival, competition, or hunting I would undoubtedly go with my 10/22. It's reliable, accurate, compact, and lightweight. I agree with the OP, I love mine.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Don't take it apart every time? I'm guessing you're running a scope and when you remove the barrel you're going to get some shift. Is it reliable other than your POI shift? I torque my stock screw to exactly 22 ft/lbs whenever I remove the action from the stock. All rifles are subject to POI shift when you move the barrel in relation to the scope. Even with my $200 QD scope mounts I don't expect them to be 100% accurate after I take them off and put them back on. If it's close (within a 1/2" of zero) I'm happy. YMMV

I have a dedicated case and it has to be taken down in order to put it in..
    Once it's sighted in (yes i have a scope), it's decently accurate and reliable.
    So no complaints there. I see your point about the torquing the screw. I will play with different torque values and see if i can find a sweet spot that works better.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I never understood the .22lr craze. It feels like a BB gun to me. I own one just to own one, although it’s a good looking 10/22.

Attachments

• 9E62B2A4-4C9F-479A-9CDA-E4C63063128F.jpg
      9E62B2A4-4C9F-479A-9CDA-E4C63063128F.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 234

timbo76

Oct 13, 2018
    Perry Hall
    Finally got a 10/22 a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about doing some .22 competitions at my local club.
    I got the basic wood stock model, getting ready to order a Magpul Hunter X stock and the BX trigger.

Having trouble deciding on what barrel to buy, any experiences on what you guys are using would be greatly appreciated.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Finally got a 10/22 a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about doing some .22 competitions at my local club.
    I got the basic wood stock model, getting ready to order a Magpul Hunter X stock and the BX trigger.

Having trouble deciding on what barrel to buy, any experiences on what you guys are using would be greatly appreciated.

I like the aluminum shrouded kind like Tacsol, Volquatzen etc make.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I have a Green Mountain bull barrel on mine and I like it a lot for its accuracy. Definitely not light though. Volquartsen makes some good stuff. If I ever buy another rimfire, it will be a complete Volquartsen gun.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

All I can report on is my 10/22 experience.

I parked an E. R. Shaw bull barrel on my 10/22 receiver, free-floated the barrel on a since discontinued Fagen stock, and touch it off with a Timney Trigger. (Oh my those stock Ruger triggers are about as smooth as pea gravel on a washboard).

After going through nearly 40 different .22 LR offerings from all the manufactures, I realized 5mm groups at 50 yards and 12mm groups at 100 yards...and won some local competitions. YMMV, but the thing can be turned into a tack driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom