• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I dont think he likes Glock. Why would still have the thumb safety engaged, if you are looking for a bad guy?

I thought the rant was comical.

As far as the safety, no idea, I'm not familiar with teams or their concepts of operation.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How about we ask a different way - given access to every other combat handgun ever made, would the 1911 be your first choice? How many choices are ahead of the 1911?

A G20 10mm with a 15rnd magazine loaded with 180gr JHP loaded to 1250fps.

That would be my personal choice.

I love me a 1911 and I'd have no problem carrying one (I'd personally carry it with 8rnd mags with the extended baseplate IMHO). As many have said, it is a wonderful handgun. For a combat handgun, there is better.

I doubt I will ever need to fire a gun in self defense in my life. If I do, I can't tell you if I will need to pull the trigger one time, or if I'll need to dump two mags at someone shooting at me from behind a car, or another room in my house or what the hell the situation could be. I'd rather have more flexibility and options.

I'd reach for my G17 before I'd reach for a 1911 as a combat/defensive handgun. That won't stop me some day once I have a larger property (and a 1911! I've shot my fair share, but don't currently own one) of sometimes carrying one around my property. But it isn't going to be my go to.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I don't know if it's still true but not long ago they said the 30-30 had killed more deer than any other rifle on earth. That certainly doesn't make it the best deer rifle. But it was cheap enough and effective enough to be used by lots of people.

I've also heard for years that the .30-30 has maimed more deer than any other round...which supports your statement that popularity doesn't make it the best deer rifle. That may also be because of lack of skill on the hunter's part as much or more than the capability of the round and rifle. That lack of skill can probably transfer to other rounds and rifles as well.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A handgun is generally a poor tool to defend yourself with. But is has several virtues...it's portable...it's usually easily concealed...with training it can be very effective. But in the general scheme of things there are better tools to defend oneself with but they're generally too large...too powerful...too expensive. Carrying a SWAT team in your pocket or with you full time is a bit difficult...unless you're wealthy or a POTUS.

Everything else is a compromise on what's best for your individual needs and requirements and we all have our favorites. Only after a real life-threatening incident occurs will you (or your survivors) know whether you made the right choices. You can only stack the odds in your favor...and even then it's no guarantee you will survive. Even if you kill the bad guy and you still get shot and die...you still lost.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Me personally, I agree with your statement about the military picks things based on contracts and money does have something to do with it./QUOTE]

Politics also has something to do with as much as anything else. Politics had a lot to do with the selection of the Beretta back in the '80s.

True words right there! The Navy's LCS is a great example. There was never meant to be 2 different hulls.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    How many rounds does it take to kill, when they are already dead? Can they be killed more dead? Biggest problem I have with the 1911 is trying to choose which one out of the one's I have! I think we should include .45 single action revolvers as an option.:cool:

Well first you have to hit something. From what I have seen at the range, a lot of people need 18 or 19 bullets to hit the side of a barn. :sad20:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I am a handgun enthusiast first, long guns, second. I have tried 4 different poly pistols and several other metal framed pistols. Lots of revolvers. If confronted with combat I would feel most comfortable with a 1911, single or double stack. AND the AR-15 as the primary arm. I am not naive enough to think I'll get by with just the handgun. But I know I can do more with a 1911 than I can with the other semi auto pistols I have tried.

A properly built (not match precision) 1911 gives away nothing relative to performance to any poly gun available. My experience, better than most and the equal of the remainder in a number of ways. It was Artic, jungle, mud, and sand tested...run over, beat up, rebuilt and kept on going. My medium sized hands can reach the thumb safety on a double stack 1911 far more readily than on most of the SA/DA wonder guns. Striker fire no safety guns?? The thumb safety of the 1911 is swiped off coming up on target, a non-issue. Not only that...US military mandates the thumb safety so the training issue is null and void.

A double stack 1911 gives away nothing in relative capacity (19 +1 in 9mm caliber) and suffers only weight if in metal frame configuration.
    I owned two Glocks, own one. Shoots pretty good. Lots of accessories to accurize it, give it a short sweet trigger pull, etc.. But at the end of the day, it will never be the equal of a similarly built 1911.

The 1911 has a couple flies in the ointment for anyone familiar with them and which the opposition decrees. And those 'flies in the ointment' have been successfully addressed. Except for machining costs, and the armorer maintenance required (not necessarily of the newer gen 1911's), I don't understand where any other chosen military handgun was actually any better than a true modern generation 1911.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Or more. :)

But I was keeping with TRUE 1911s. :D

I've got a real love for the RIA 10mm double stack. And your points are well taken.

I would offer that if all 1911 folks were really purist, nothing but a 1911 browning 1911 would do. But we talk about their evolution over the last 108 years, so... IMHO, that has to include the double stacks

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I will concede that the 1911 was John Browning's second best design...

:D

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Obsolete doesn't equal doesn't work. A halberd is an obsolete weapon... but I sure wouldn't want one sunk in my skull. In the end, it's a preference thing. I prefer a very compact pistol. Would it be enough if I were jumped by 3 or 4 guys? I hope I never have to find out.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Hi-Power. To me it is his best design. I know that he didn't finish it but I wanted it more than any other pistol made.

Dude, you almost had me feeling really inferior... I thought you eye talking BAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom