• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The Law Enforcement Alliance of America (LEAA) is a non-profit, conservative gun rights corporation in the United States, headquartered just outside Washington, D.C. in Springfield, Virginia.[1] Its membership is composed of active duty and retired law enforcement officers, crime victims, and other interested civilians.

Wiki excerpt.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    10 years total. Could be an aggregate of 5 years at 1 place and 5 at another. Or just 10 straight at the same place.

Or, if you medically separated in good standing under 10 years, but after successful probation.

This was news to me. Apparently the changes came about in a 2010 amendment (prior was 15 years aggregate and retirement - or somehting). Thanks for the education.

So the question is: How do you get the LEOSA creds if you served separate periods at different state agencies? I don't think there's a central place to apply for creds if your agency does not issue them...yes?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This was news to me. Apparently the changes came about in a 2010 amendment (prior was 15 years aggregate and retirement - or somehting). Thanks for the education.

So the question is: How do you get the LEOSA creds if you served separate periods at different state agencies? I don't think there's a central place to apply for creds if your agency does not issue them...yes?
    There's the sticky wicket. I would assume the last agency would have verified your previous agency time before them.

And they aren't "creds" persay as in badge and ID. It's a "separated officer" ID card.
    It would have to be given from the last employing agency.
    Hell. I Doubt most agencies don't even have them.

But it's with that card and a yearly qualification card or paper issues from a local agency who shoots LEOSA quals or a "certified trainer" that makes one legal to carry.
    God knows how many "certified instructors" out there are just signing papers for their buddies.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    There's the sticky wicket. I would assume the last agency would have verified your previous agency time before them.

And they aren't "creds" persay as in badge and ID. It's a "separated officer" ID card.
    It would have to be given from the last employing agency.
    Hell. I Doubt most agencies don't even have them.

But it's with that card and a yearly qualification card or paper issues from a local agency who shoots LEOSA quals or a "certified trainer" that makes one legal to carry.
    God knows how many "certified instructors" out there are just signing papers for their buddies.

That makes sense. All (3) agencies I've worked for have issued retirement creds. I just figured most others did as well.

I've been at the range when a LEOSA qual comes through...it can be scary sometimes.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That makes sense. All (3) agencies I've worked for have issued retirement creds. I just figured most others did as well.

I've been at the range when a LEOSA qual comes through...it can be scary sometimes.
    Come down to Charles county during LEOSA quals, you'll see 50% of 23 or so who shouldn't be carrying.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Law Enforcement Alliance of America (LEAA) is a non-profit, conservative gun rights corporation in the United States, headquartered just outside Washington, D.C. in Springfield, Virginia.[1] Its membership is composed of active duty and retired law enforcement officers, crime victims, and other interested civilians.

Wiki excerpt.

Yeah, count me in as someone who never heard of them. Rather annoying when groups are supposedly advocating on my behalf but I've never been contacted by them to figure out what my behalf is...

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    While I no longer recall the circumstances surrounding my involvement with LEAA, there was a continuous dialogue for a while...even have their patch sewed onto my shotgun vest when I was shooting the leagues and Winchester ran what is now the PG Trap and Skeet Center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom