• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Rem .22 Golden

I heard would start seeing so much more .22's after the first of the year but was disappointed @ Cabelas inventory but hit the jack box @ Dicks walk out with 8400 + rounds of Rem Golden in 1400 tubs and 525 packs plus plenty left on the shelf.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I heard would start seeing so much more .22's after the first of the year but was disappointed @ Cabelas inventory but hit the jack box @ Dicks walk out with 8400 + rounds of Rem Golden in 1400 tubs and 525 packs plus plenty left on the shelf.

Jesus! Maybe my modest collection isn't putting me in the right perspective, but that is probably 5 years of 22lr right there and more than I own (I maybe have 6k)

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    walk out with 8400
    :thumbsup: Impressive! Yes Dick's seems to be undercover re-stocking their shelves with .22 at a good rate - even my local G'burg store has plenty and they've been advertising .22 and other ammo in their sales e-mail blasts more often.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Good luck!

And here I sit with 750 rounds of subsonic .22lr (well, 1250 if you count that brick of CCI standard that I forgot I had), a brand new Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun, and my goshdarn rimfire can is still going to be in jail for another month.

Oh well, at least I'll be ready!

It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Which is why I went back and picked up another 500 rounds of Eley target this morning. That's 1000 rounds in two days. That doesn't make me a hoarding douchewaffle, does it? :P

In all seriousness, for everyone who isn't Jim that I didn't tell about this yet:

Dick's is having another sale on .22lr this week. All regular 50 and 100 round boxes are buy one get one 50% off. I've now picked up 1000 rounds of Eley Target (which is supposed to be really nice ammmo for accuracy) for just about 9 cents per round with tax. I did this because I had a two of the $10 off of $50 coupons that they send out from time to time. The Eley is $6.99 / 50, so with this sale it's $10.49 / 100. Went in yesterday and bought 500 rounds which came out to $44.95 with my coupon. Then I went back today and did the same thing again. I actually have one more coupon, and the sale is good until next week, so I'm half considering going back again tomorrow for a third round. :P :D

I've got a new bolt gun I'm setting up for some longer range accuracy shooting, and this Eley should be just the ticket for it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Dick's is having another sale on .22lr this week. All regular 50 and 100 round boxes are buy one get one 50% off. I've now picked up 1000 rounds of Eley Target (which is supposed to be really nice ammmo for accuracy) for just about 9 cents per round with tax. I did this because I had ...
    I've got a new bolt gun I'm setting up for some longer range accuracy shooting, and this Eley should be just the ticket for it.

Maybe, maybe NOT. You won't know until you try it.

You MUST try it in your particular barrel before you know whether its the best, second best, third best, sort of average, below average or useless in your particular barrel. Doesn't even matter if you another IDENTICAL gun.

Being a high grade Eley product, it will be consistent - consistently good, bad or indifferent won't be determined until you have shot 20 or 30 rounds of it.

At least you bought it cheap enough to shoot as non target plinking ammo if it doesn't shoot target accurate out of something you own.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Maybe, maybe NOT. You won't know until you try it.

You MUST try it in your particular barrel before you know whether its the best, second best, third best, sort of average, below average or useless in your particular barrel. Doesn't even matter if you another IDENTICAL gun.

Being a high grade Eley product, it will be consistent - consistently good, bad or indifferent won't be determined until you have shot 20 or 30 rounds of it.

At least you bought it cheap enough to shoot as non target plinking ammo if it doesn't shoot target accurate out of something you own.

Oh, I know all that. I bought a ton of it because it's good, quality consistent ammo. Whatever it does, it'll be repeatable, and I've got enough .22s that it ought to work well in at least one of them. :)

A Ruger 10/22 TD Target
    A Ruger American Rimfire "Predator"
    A Ruger MKII Target
    A Hammerli Trailside target pistol that's more accurate than I'll ever be
    A Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

And as soon as it shows up on the roster update, I'll have a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite, too.

The 10/22 TD Target will group just about anything tighter than I can. The only difference is having to hold over a little bit with lower velocity ammo, so I'm sure even if the Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun hates the Eley that the 10/22 will digest it just fine. The target chamber and barrel on that thing are great.

Anyhow, I digress.

.22 is on sale at Dick's.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Jesus! Maybe my modest collection isn't putting me in the right perspective, but that is probably 5 years of 22lr right there and more than I own (I maybe have 6k)

Great point. And he's not the only one to do this. The 22 ammo shortage was long and painful. And much of it won't get shot. It is quietly sitting in everyone's home including mine. So what happens in 3-5 years? We collectively realize that we really don't need that much ammo so we start to sell it in the classifieds. At that point prices for 22 ammo will plummet.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Great point. And he's not the only one to do this. The 22 ammo shortage was long and painful. And much of it won't get shot. It is quietly sitting in everyone's home including mine. So what happens in 3-5 years? We collectively realize that we really don't need that much ammo so we start to sell it in the classifieds. At that point prices for 22 ammo will plummet.

During the shortage, I've had to "ration" what .22 I had. Along the way I did find buckets of Rem GB's at Dick's, and some Fed AutoMatch here and there.
    Of course, never dreamed the shortage would last so long...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Good luck!

And here I sit with 750 rounds of subsonic .22lr (well, 1250 if you count that brick of CCI standard that I forgot I had), a brand new Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun, and my goshdarn rimfire can is still going to be in jail for another month.

Oh well, at least I'll be ready!

That's a whole bunch of fun right there. Reminds me,I need to get my Ruger American Rimfire barrel threaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Doesn't even take that. It just takes people to stop hording it and buying 8400rnds whenever it is on sale and they find it *cough cough*

Federal/CCI supposedly expanded manufacturing 20% in the last year or so after refusing to expand production for a few years. We also have a few new comers like Aquila getting big in to the US market. It wouldn't surprise me if overall capacity has expanded 20-30% in the last 2 years. If people stop crazy hording with Trump in office I think we will see a price crash. Several of the big manufacturers could probably take machinary offline. However I think the entire ammo market is going to go really soft over the next year or two. Just like the firearms market.

I think we will see a demand reduction, a price crash, some uptick but it'll most be people "cashing in" on "going out of business" sales and firesales and then a number of players leave the market or going out of business. Next liberal president and/or major incident and everyone rushes out there again and prices skyrocket. Rinse and repeat.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    CCI Standard Velocity for $0.06-0.08 per round depending on how you construct the order from Gander Mountain ...

https://www.slickguns.com/product/c...22-lr-40-gr-lrn-50-rnds-499-black-friday-2013

Didn't seem to have a limit (I ordered 20 boxes - others ordered more). Note to get the lower pricing, one needs to submit a manufacturer's rebate and order a limited amount indicated in the link (750 rounds/15 boxes). Gander will also ship for free if you hit a certain dollar level on the purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    On my way south back to Maryland today, I stopped by Cabela's in DE. Their rimfire shelves were stocked pretty well at decent, but not spectacular prices. I picked up a box of Winchester 222, and Federal 325. I'll give them a try to see how they shoot from my guns.

They also had a ton of CI brand .22 LR, made in Mexico. Does anyone have experience with CI??

JoeR

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Better hurry Gander is liquidating.

CCI Standard Velocity for $0.06-0.08 per round depending on how you construct the order from Gander Mountain ...

https://www.slickguns.com/product/c...22-lr-40-gr-lrn-50-rnds-499-black-friday-2013

Didn't seem to have a limit (I ordered 20 boxes - others ordered more). Note to get the lower pricing, one needs to submit a manufacturer's rebate and order a limited amount indicated in the link (750 rounds/15 boxes). Gander will also ship for free if you hit a certain dollar level on the purchase.

All 160 stores:
    https://www.thomasdishaw.com/econom...ain-headed-for-bankruptcy-160-stores-closing/

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That's too bad. I see them more in the Midwest (where they are pretty well stocked for firearms) than out here. I guess DSG's is eating their lunch these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom