• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The higher the magnification, the less light gathering the lense will do, so just know that if you have a variable and you are on high magnification, the image will look darker. Also, once you get above 9x you really (IMO) need better glass. So cheap scopes >9x are going to often just suck and not really help you as much beyond 9x
    If I am squirrel hunting out at 50 yards, I'm on 9x. If I'm at 25 yards, I'm at like 4x
    I tried a frend's modified rem 700 that was wicked accurate. like 1/2MOA or better. Don't remember the magnification but it was fixed magnification. wicked clear optics and I could tell if I was an 1/8 off the bullseye center @ 100 yards. I recall he said it was like a $1000 scope.

22 at 100 yards, wind will be a factor IMO

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I was shooting free standing rimfire metallic silhouette I found I could not hold more than 6x and generally used less. On a bag or something to rest the rifle on I can do up to 20x easily although 10x works pretty good as an all around power level. One reason I liked the old BSA Tactical 4-14x44 Mil-Mil MRAD FFP scope.

Norbalco

Feb 24, 2017
    I have a Leupold VX2 3-9 on my CZ 455 and often wish I had a little more scope on it. Mostly for varmint and some plinking, and I often shoot subsonic suppressed in which case the 3-9 is a bit overkill. Depends on application.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It has been my experience that reasonably priced 22LR rifles become LESS accurate past 75 yards, UNLESS you are using High Priced Ammo...

My rifle(s) would shoot to a 1" group up to 75 yards & get closer to 2.25" group at 100 yards & it got worse IF it was windy...

I was shooting a Stainless Steel Savage Mark 2 BTVS with a 21" long barrel & a Thumbhole Stock from a Bi-Pod...

I can shoot higher power rounds much better...

In fact I sold all my 22's for this very reason...

Major03

Ultimate Member
    A .22LR at 100 to 200 yds is a great and fun way to learn how to shoot long range.

How much scope? I’d say really depends on what you’re doing with the rifle. If you’re shooting squirrels or plinking at multiple / unknown ranges I like lower magnification for a wider field of view. Either a variable or a fixed 4x.

If you’re practicing long range shooting or trying to get tiny groups...as much as you can afford and keep a decent quality of glass. Ideally replicate your precision rifle.

Something to also think about, the higher the magnification the more parralax will play a factor.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A .22LR at 100 to 200 yds is a great and fun way to learn how to shoot long range.

How much scope? I’d say really depends on what you’re doing with the rifle. If you’re shooting squirrels or plinking at multiple / unknown ranges I like lower magnification for a wider field of view. Either a variable or a fixed 4x.

If you’re practicing long range shooting or trying to get tiny groups...as much as you can afford and keep a decent quality of glass. Ideally replicate your precision rifle.

Something to also think about, the higher the magnification the more parralax will play a factor.

OP is shooting at a fixed distance. If his scope is made for that distance, that's all that matters, isn't it?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    It's true, you can purchase scopes with a preset parralax of X yards. Rimfire scopes are pretty typically preset for 50 yds.

I would prefer to get an adjustable scope, as you could always set it at 100 yds and forget it...until you want to shoot at other yardages, and then you have the flexibility to adjust it.

You don't have to spend a lot on a tactical scope with side turret parralax adjustment either. Plenty of scopes with an adjustable objective bell for parralax are out there that are affordable.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    It all depends on how far you are going to shoot and what your budget is. As a recreational shooter I like Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR scope. It works great at the range or in the field. That being said my son has a PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14 BDC reticle on his 10/22 and he routinely drops squirrel's between 50-100 yards with no problem. He dialed in his scope using Spot On which I also like but it doesn't work with the straight crosshair scope on my rifle. The right scope will definitely make a big difference in your fun so check a few out and pick up what works best for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom