• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    Which model/caliber Beretta was the MSP using in the mid-late 90s?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'll look for 3 minutes.

They probably used 92FS (which only came in 9mm) because that was all the rage at that time, when it was the military chosen gun.

wiki only says this: Maryland State Police troopers are issued the Glock 22 chambered in 40 S&W and a Remington 870 shotgun. Qualified troopers are also issued the Colt M16-A1 or the Colt AR-15 semi-automatic rifles

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    96D.

From policemag:

The Maryland State Police has chosen the Beretta Px4 Storm to replace their Beretta 96D pistols. The department will issue 1,065 Px4 Storm D Model pistols in .40 S&W to its officers.

“The Maryland State Police are pleased to continue our long partnership with Beretta by upgrading the pistols our troopers carry to the new Beretta Px4 Storm,” said Colonel Terrence B. Sheridan, superintendent of the Maryland State Police. “After rigorous testing by Maryland State Police experts, the Storm has proven that its simplistic design, safety features, ability to individualize fit, ease of maintenance, and overall dependability make it the firearm ideally suited for use by Maryland State Troopers as they continue to serve and protect the people of our state.”

They didn't keep the Px4 Storm long (adopted in ~2008), and quickly transitioned to the Glock 40 in ~2011.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My work here is done. $22.50 for 3 minutes of 'work' at $450 an hour. i kid, i kid

May I ask, why you asked?

Interesting learning (again) about the Beretta 9000S used in the movie Minority Report with Tom Cruise, great movie. Not a good gun, neither was the 96D. Beretta had a hit or miss history with modern combat/police pistols. Even the best Beretta pistols I only consider second tier.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    My work here is done. $22.50 for 3 minutes of 'work' at $450 an hour. i kid, i kid

May I ask, why you asked?

Interesting learning (again) about the Beretta 9000S used in the movie Minority Report with Tom Cruise, great movie. Not a good gun, neither was the 96D. Beretta had a hit or miss history with modern combat/police pistols. Even the best Beretta pistols I only consider second tier.

Seems like the older guys who were issued 96s loved them. The PX storms were awful. And most of them don't really love or hate the Glocks.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Was talking to a Trooper that kept referring to the "old Beretta" and how much he liked it. The PX4 he called a piece of crap.

Cool, thanks.

I taught many troops and agents to use the M9 (Beretta 92FS), it was a good gun. I didn't care much for the slide mounted external safety, but overall, was a quality gun. They did tend to get less accurate after our folks shot them, 10's of thousands of rounds. When we transitioned to the Sig (M11 - P228), I was much happier teaching folks how to shoot that. Much more durable, slightly smaller, more reliable, better sights, slightly better grip; better all around. I did get to see what we paid for them, if I recall correctly, we paid nearly twice as much for a M11 than an M9. Worth every penny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Which model/caliber Beretta was the MSP using in the mid-late 90s?

It was the model 92F, not the FS. These were the last issued pistol capable of firing in single action mode. They were then replaced by the double-action-only 96D. The 96D were the last guns to ever bear the department property markings. The Maryland DNR "Rangers" used the same guns during that timeframe but with the Robar NP3 finish which was ironic considering that both models were offered in stainless steel at that time.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I remember recently that MSP had a problem with one of the newer Berettas. The mag release is in a position that it's easy to accidentally hit it and drop the mag in the middle of firing. Not sure how this was resolved though.

They resolved this issue by purchasing Glock 22 40SW handguns for all troopers.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Yes sir it was the 92F and I carried one from the beginning to almost the end. One of the best shooting guns I ever shot. In fact I was able to purchase 2 of those when the MSP got the 40 Cal. (the 40's were junk bought one of those MSP guns too.) I still use em today, shoot em often. I know it may be a personal thing & some may disagree . I have Glocks, Springfield armory, Rugers, Smith,Colts & it seems to me the best shooting and handling guns I own. Never had any problems and has some age on it but it still a great firearm. But you know what opinions are like.

I agree with most of this. I've had a 92F since the mid-80s and, aside from the ridiculous, slide-mounted safety (someone on the MD legislature must've thought of that one:rolleyes:), it's a wonderful sidearm.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    After reading this thread, I tried to find out what they carried prior to the Berettas, back in the revolver days. I didn't find anything on Bing, Google, or Wiki. I seem to remember S&W model 13s or 65s, maybe??? Anybody know for sure? What was the 357 carry load?

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I found this thread because I was trying to sort out which revolver they carried. I think it was 13's, cause I shot one with department markings one time, and now wish I had bought it. Were you able to ever find out which one it was?

Also, they carried .38 special +P's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom