• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I prefer still hunting anyway, but I think I am going to have to to stay warm enough. I am sad I won’t be out there in Delmarva, but Frederick watershed might not be terrible if it isn’t crowded.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I think I'm staying in due to the wind. It doesn't sound like it will be dying down anytime soon. Maybe tomorrow afternoon if the wife and kids are off from school or Saturday.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed. Last night was the time to be out. Deer were everywhere.

I'll say this, if you go out today, still hunting would be the best bet.

Thoughts on Friday and Saturday? Looks like single digits up to teens and winds of 15-25mph.

I am thinking a climbing stand is probably a stupid idea.

Stick with still hunting, try to hunt in to the wind and look for sheltered areas where deer might be bedded down? Definitely taking my 6.5 Grendel tomorrow. Going to Frederick city watershed and going to get there a little after sunrise. I don’t see a reason to try to be back in the woods at first shooting light with it this cold and windy.

If I do any prolonged sit or get up in my stand it’ll be the later half of the day when it is less bone freezing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thoughts on Friday and Saturday? Looks like single digits up to teens and winds of 15-25mph.

I am thinking a climbing stand is probably a stupid idea.

Stick with still hunting, try to hunt in to the wind and look for sheltered areas where deer might be bedded down? Definitely taking my 6.5 Grendel tomorrow. Going to Frederick city watershed and going to get there a little after sunrise. I don’t see a reason to try to be back in the woods at first shooting light with it this cold and windy.

If I do any prolonged sit or get up in my stand it’ll be the later half of the day when it is less bone freezing.

Jeez. I don't know. Of the handful of times I hunted there years ago, I'm not sure I ever saw a deer:o. I would stay as low on the hills as possible in the hopes of seeing some deer leaving ag fields heading back into the woods to bed. A good topo would be priceless. Stay on the ground like you said. You're gonna want to cover ground once the the sun gets up. Look for sheltered areas out of the wind(as much is possible)to still hunt. 'Cedar' thickets, laurel thickets, and multiflora thickets are good places to look for deer. Look for ears, tails(the black vertical lines are very visible), antlers, and eye patches. You probably won't see a whole deer. I don't see them being in big timber where ground cover(food) will be sparse. South facing fingers and saddles are also good spots as long as they aren't buffeted by strong winds.

The odds are against you. Time to see what kind of hunter you are. Try hard to manage your sweat. Bring a good closed cell seat warmer/cushion for stump sitting. There are deer there. You just gotta find them.

Good luck Lazarus.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Thanks guys. Heading out in a few.

Good luck. Last I've seen any deer on my trail cam in my back yard was as the snow was beginning to fall two nights ago, between 11-12 PM. Nothing has come to the feeder block since then, except the one visit from the red fox that always comes and pees on the block. Haven't even seen the grey fox I usually see about an hour after the red...he comes and tries to cover up the red's scent with his own. The block is in an area that is just a bit too exposed...have some good thicket down in a draw, and I'm guessing their just bedded down there.

I do have some bags of acorns under my porch...think I'll put some out. Still plenty out there, but they're mostly frozen into the ground. Think I'll make it a little easier for them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just came back in, Colder than a well diggers ass. Where I was,the blowing snow crystals and sun made it hard to see anything heading into the wind. Only fresh cut tracks are from fox and they're getting covered up quick.
    Sucks right now nobody around to help get them moving.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Jeez. I don't know. Of the handful of times I hunted there years ago, I'm not sure I ever saw a deer:o. I would stay as low on the hills as possible in the hopes of seeing some deer leaving ag fields heading back into the woods to bed. A good topo would be priceless. Stay on the ground like you said. You're gonna want to cover ground once the the sun gets up. Look for sheltered areas out of the wind(as much is possible)to still hunt. 'Cedar' thickets, laurel thickets, and multiflora thickets are good places to look for deer. Look for ears, tails(the black vertical lines are very visible), antlers, and eye patches. You probably won't see a whole deer. I don't see them being in big timber where ground cover(food) will be sparse. South facing fingers and saddles are also good spots as long as they aren't buffeted by strong winds.

The odds are against you. Time to see what kind of hunter you are. Try hard to manage your sweat. Bring a good closed cell seat warmer/cushion for stump sitting. There are deer there. You just gotta find them.

Good luck Lazarus.

I've found deer in bamboo thickets too on windy days. The bamboo was so thick that I could not see into it at all. However, when I approached it, it was incredible to see deer popping out all over the place.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Head up the leeward slope. They tuck in there to duck the wind.

They do that most the the time during normal conditions. They smell what's coming from over the ridge and they can see what's coming from their side. I learned that from years of hunting in Garrett county.

I hope the weather improves tomorrow for you guys.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Time for a pep talk.

I shot my last deer only seven days ago. The temp was around 15° with a wind chill of around 9°. Now git yer arses out thar dammit! Lol. Good luck tomorrow!

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Last chance for firearms for me is Sat morning. I might go out . No chance to hunt tomorrow night and I got home too late tonight.
    I have not had any deer on the camera in hunting hours for over a month so that might run through my head when the alarm goes off.
    I have had the ground blind set up for the past month so at least I would be out of the wind.

I just know if I pull my cards sunday and see something Sat morning I'll be pissed.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0419.JPG Does messing around, seen one small buck behind me. He ducked into the branch after a little bit and I never did see where he came out at.
    Probably froze to a tree back in there somewhere.
    When I came out and headed down the road a little bit I got a call about a missing hunter. Didn't tell anyone where he went and now he's unaccounted for.
    I rode out a piece of state woods to try and spot his vehicle, nothing. No-one knows where he's at.
    25 mph gusts and 6-10 sustained not good when its this cold.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    View attachment 222182 Does messing around, seen one small buck behind me. He ducked into the branch after a little bit and I never did see where he came out at.
    Probably froze to a tree back in there somewhere.
    When I came out and headed down the road a little bit I got a call about a missing hunter. Didn't tell anyone where he went and now he's unaccounted for.
    I rode out a piece of state woods to try and spot his vehicle, nothing. No-one knows where he's at.
    25 mph gusts and 6-10 sustained not good when its this cold.

Praying they find him alive and well. Gotta tell your loved ones your plans. If for no other reason, their sanity. Be safe out there everyone.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Damn, hope that missing hunter has some basic survival gear and knowledge and is found safe.

I'll be out again tomorrow if i can, and will be out for sure on Sunday. Late season is great if you have a feeder and the ground is covered in snow and ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom