• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Do you carry ammo labeled, for use in short barreled revolvers?

If so in what flavor?

Thanks for your replies and any suggestions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To make a more comprehensive discussion on the topic , there are primarily Two different criteria in play, which alas are frequently contradictory .

1. Maximizing the terminal effectiveness
    2. Increasing control and/ or being less painful to shooter ( aka moderate level of recoil, especially in small frame, other than steel frame, revolvers .

In the first catagory , the Speer 135 Gold Dot " Short Barrel " is a primo round, optimized for velocity from 2in bbls . But the recoil is similar to 158gr +P rounds . In a K frame - ish gun isn't a major problem . In Airweight for other exotic frame material J frame size-ish , it can be an issue .

From the other outlook, the Hornaday 90gr Crit Defense , with pink tip was concieved to have minimum recoil , while still being effective .

And pretty much does that . About the least recoil of any .38spl , from major mfg , and terminal umphhh similar to a .380 from a comact .

Inbetween Options - Various 110-125gr loads .

* For Me * - From way back when till current , 158gr +P Lead HP . BUT , at most recent gun show, picked up a cpl 50rd boxes of a certain major brand JHP , with an eye to potentially be used in J Frame . Once I get a chance for both shooting it, and ( my prefered expansion testing ) I'll share my observations for this usage

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Do you carry ammo labeled, for use in short barreled revolvers?

If so in what flavor?

Thanks for your replies and any suggestions.

Not me. I've got a 2" Taurus 617 and shoot mostly regular target loads (most of what I have is Winchester white box). I've honestly never even looked at what else is available because I figure it isn't worth getting fancy with a snubby.

Not sure if that gun is the best for your situation, but worth trying it if your local range has one available to rent. It is not light, but it is a 7 shot revolver. Has a bit of a kick with .357(and a heck of a fireball), but handles .38 VERY well (that's what I carry in it and mostly shoot).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have an Sp-101. I don't carry it but it saw nightstand duty for a few years. My preferred defensive load was a version of the old FBI Load with a 158gr Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollow Point (LSWCHP). They're a little hard to find anymore but Buffalo Bore makes a few flavors of it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my Colt Cobra. It's designed for short barrels, so low flash and tipped bullets. When I had a sub-compact 9mm, it fed and worked with Hornady Critical Defense. I don't carry a full sized handgun anymore.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's been a long time since I carried a snubby from my law enforcement days, but my ammunition choices at the time were more limited compared to today. Before we transitioned to self-loaders I had to carry a revolver and I normally carried off-duty a Colt Cobra with 125 grain JHP...usually Winchester or Federal. I sometimes carried a Python snubby and in that I carried "Treasury Loads"...Winchester .38 Special 110 grain JHP +P+ which were law enforcement only. That Python really loved that round. I still have a few boxes of it.

Today I would look seriously at the loadings that were optimized for short barrel use.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My 2" K frame Smithy likes 125 grain JHP +P in most flavors. The recoil is very manageable with the Pachmayer rubber grips and groups are always good even when firing double-action. It is a little bulky for concealed carry but is my go to gun when things go bump in the night! 100% reliable!

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    ARX in my EDC .45 Shield. Lehigh Cavitators in my .32 Seecamp backup.

Stopped carrying a revolver years ago. When I did, +P 125 in a model 60 S&W .38

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While I haven't used it, I have a couple varieties of Buffalo Bore for 38spl. both the FBI flying ashtray and the hardcast wadcutters.

Since most of my handguns are C&R I look toward low (read "normal") pressure loads; I assume they'll get the job done without wrecking the guns.

I'd be curious if anyone has had experience with Buffalo Bore ammunition for other calibers, like 32acp, 9x18 Makarov, maybe even 9mm?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have some 10mm Buffalo Bore ammunition. It's not bad out of a 5" or 6" 1911, or a 6.5" single action Blackhawk. A 3" GP100 it would be equivalent to running 158gr .357 Magnum loads in recoil. I might have to buy a 6" GP100 in 357 and have it bored out to 10mm. Rimmed cartridge is for Single-action and double-action revolvers for hunting and plinking. Autoloader cardtridges in doubleaction revolvers is for speed of reloading. It's much faster with a clip versus a speed loader.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Feel like i have been thru all of them in a 642 and a 36. Here’s what’s in the drawer ( that i have confidence in as i bought it)
    Fed premium+p 129 hyrdo shok
    Hornady custom 158 gr xtp
    Speer gold dot +p 125
    ..hornady american gunner 125 xtp.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The only time I carry a snubbie is when I'm heading to the range to do range work. Then it's an LCR with Hornady American Gunner 125 XTP for the to and from drive that gets switched to snake shot while on the range. More than a few 5-6 foot timber rattlers and copperheads on the property. The LCR fits in my pocket and doesn't get in the way of whatever work I'm helping with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom