• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    I hunted there for the first time this year. It is a massive peice of ground,

12,000 acres in suburban Balt/DC along the Patuxent river. They practice

QDMA there with mixed reviews from members who question the results

of the program .

A challenging place to hunt,loaded with deer , but due to

natural browse constraints I don't believe the deer get the size as some of

the farmland deer in MD do. Still ,a way cool opportunity for folks in the

metro area without any other options.

Check out there website @ http://mnha.net/ .

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I hunted there years ago. Never saw/took anything more than does. Nice area though, good check in procedure. Lots of rules, but nothing too outrageous and they all made sense. Gave up on public land for bow when crossbows were allowed, and public for gun season doesn't interest me too much either, but overall, a nice, well managed, safe place to hunt.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Quality Deer Management. They have antler minimums in the deer that are harvested, in an effort to grow bigger deer in the future.

MH

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The "full spectrum" of QDM also addresses age structure, sex ratio, and overall density vs ideal carrying capacity.

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    QDMA is meant to protect the young bucks. Supposedly ,they are the easiest deer to kill and therefore should be protected to provide better buck to doe ratios and a healthier herd overall. Sounds good , in theory , but the jury is still out in the minds of alot of sportsmen who wind up chasing super wary 3-4 year old ghosts through the woods every season.

They do have some pictures of some big booner deer on their webpage. They also have a membership of around 650 plus right now, so you might have to look at some of the data to see the success ratios.

I only hunted there one season on and off and saw deer just about every time I went there, I just didn't have any scouting or local knowledge to go by

Topograhically flat terrain with lots of dense cover . You can get turned around real quick without a GPS.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    +1 on the GPS.
    The woods there are different from one section to another. I used my GPS to get in and out of there many times.

MH

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    How does it work at this place? when you check in are you assigned/you choose an area and you must stay within that box? I had a look at some of the material online but its rather confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom