• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I get busted alot on the ground,funny I never used to in the mountains. Now, it's

2 hours early in the stand, fox urine on the boots, and patience.

Get in the stand without bumpin any out.

OK, we all know the scene, momma comes out of no where but shes 50

yrds. and not coming closer. She does a semi circle and catches a whiff of

something and it's game over. They look up in trees , catch your scent,

staying downwind the whole time. The does are getting

almost as bad as the bucks . But next time I got a 175 lb Horton Legend

with dial-a-range just itching to go and get me some! Game on baby!
    Have you considered scent elimination for your clothing and washing with the scent elimination soap and shampoo right before you head out to hunt. I put my clothes in a scent lock bag and then put them on right before hiking to the spot. Doe/Fox/Buck urine is now a warning sign to deer.

If you do this, you can spit on the deer from your stand before you shoot them. I have a friend who took video of missing with his first loogie and then hitting with the 2nd one. How he was able to hawk up a second one, I'll never know.

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    Have you considered scent elimination for your clothing and washing with the scent elimination soap and shampoo right before you head out to hunt. I put my clothes in a scent lock bag and then put them on right before hiking to the spot. Doe/Fox/Buck urine is now a warning sign to deer. QUOTE]

I am wrapped up tight with scent lock and dont believe in applying too much scent directly to my boots, maybe just a little fox to get me to my stand.

I may try to put a mock scrape in a few areas where ever there is fresh scrape activity going on.

I am going to do my scouting here in a few weeks when the snow melts and
    then I am going to leave the area alone until season starts.I think sometimes you can bust them out of the area with too much scouting .

I had a friend suggest woodstove ash. It covers scent well and the deer smell it all the time anyway.
    They will pin point your spot and go on red alert with the wrong scent.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    My preferred cover scent is cigarette smoke and field stripped butts in my pocket. Deer smell cigarettes all the time and I haven't had one spooked by smoke or the smell of the butts in my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom