• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    Went there this weekend with my little boy. He was standing up on the edge looking in an about crapped his pants when a big carp came rolling out of the right edge about head level. Funny to watch that one.

What are the fish he called swordfish?

And there appeared to be some snakehead like fish in there? Was that snakeheads?

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    "Swordfish" could have been a Gar Pike or Pickerel Pike, there is a legend on the left side of the tank. I would doubt that they would put an invasive species in the tank with the snakehead.. but you never know.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    You should take your little guy to the National Zoo sometime and check out the Amazonia exhibit. You can walk right next to the surface of the aquariums there and often the large Arapaima will come right up to you. They have a couple of them which have to be 6-7 ft long and around 250 lbs. Took my 4 year old boy a few weeks ago and it left an impression (and he is around fish and aquariums all the time).

To answer your question, I've never seen that tank, but I hear they used to keep some Gar (didn't think they were native to md, but maybe they are). Back in the day of retail fish store working, little kids would call the Alligator Gars "swordfish" sometimes.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My cousin's state record largemouth was put in the BPS tank after he caught it. Not sure if its still there or not.
    3221898.jpg

bassmaster.com-new-maryland-record-bass

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    You should take your little guy to the National Zoo sometime and check out the Amazonia exhibit. You can walk right next to the surface of the aquariums there and often the large Arapaima will come right up to you. They have a couple of them which have to be 6-7 ft long and around 250 lbs. Took my 4 year old boy a few weeks ago and it left an impression (and he is around fish and aquariums all the time)....

Mine liked it a lot

NationalZoo.jpg

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    The Cabelas in Hamburg PA has multiple fish tanks, on both sides of a hallway...many different species...so your urchin would be surrounded by fish...cool! :)

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    My cousin's state record largemouth was put in the BPS tank after he caught it. Not sure if its still there or not.
    3221898.jpg

bassmaster.com-new-maryland-record-bass

Sorry to here your cousin is Justin. In this case the apple fell far from the tree called ED.

Where did he catch that monster? What a pretty fish.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind.

He caught it on the Potomac in an area called the spoils. Winter time fish and MD state tidal water record.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Went there this weekend with my little boy. He was standing up on the edge looking in an about crapped his pants when a big carp came rolling out of the right edge about head level. Funny to watch that one.

What are the fish he called swordfish?

And there appeared to be some snakehead like fish in there? Was that snakeheads?

I doubt they would put a snakehead in there. Could it possibly be a "walleye"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom