• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Wow, I'm new to all this gun talk and I asked what C&A was when I saw it somewhere eles. Someone here passed this link on to me. Ow my head hurts.
    Not sure I follow it all or understand why I should have one, but I'll keep reading, learning and hope to understand. Hell, I'm still trying to understand what type of ammo to use. But I just wanted to say a general THANKS to all on this site. You are great at helping and sharing information.
    Makes a newbie feel good

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Signed copies are for aquisitions from other licensees as I unerstand it.
    Personally I would not want a copy with my signature to go to some stranger that is not a licensee, so I only sign them when sending to another FFL.

Novus: Didn't you or someone else say NOT to sign your original C&R license?
    Also, wouldn't places like Midway, AIM, J&G, etc. be FFL's, so that a signed copy shopuld be sent to them?
    Thanks!

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    Do NOT sign your original license. You must sign each copy that you give to a dealer or another collector. They must have ORIGINAL signatures on those. Also, the copies need to be signed in a color other than black.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Novus: Didn't you or someone else say NOT to sign your original C&R license?
    Also, wouldn't places like Midway, AIM, J&G, etc. be FFL's, so that a signed copy shopuld be sent to them?
    Thanks!

Yes, that is why I said copies.

If you are planning on dealing with AIM, J&G and Century, send them a signed copy now so you don't have to wait the days for them to process your license into their file if a good deal pops up you want to jump on. Also with Century you have to be on file before you can even see the FFL's prices.
    SOme people send signed copies to any and all C&R distributors they can find as soon as they get their license. There is an old and slightly out of date list on this board of the C&R distributors, but it is extensive so I just sent mine to about six or seven and just two since my renewal (AIM and Century).

Some distributors accept a faxed or emailed signed copy nowadays, but not all and some will insist on a hard copy.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Do NOT sign your original license. You must sign each copy that you give to a dealer or another collector. They must have ORIGINAL signatures on those. Also, the copies need to be signed in a color other than black.
    Other than black? I thought only the other FFL's had to use red ink or something.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Other than black? I thought only the other FFL's had to use red ink or something.
    Novus, thank you and KARL/PA for your responses. That's one thing about these inquiries, they seem to lead to another area of learning, such as, the use of black or red ink. I don't know whether ink color has ever come up before.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Novus, thank you and KARL/PA for your responses. That's one thing about these inquiries, they seem to lead to another area of learning, such as, the use of black or red ink. I don't know whether ink color has ever come up before.
    Meh, just always use blue to be safe.
    :shrug:

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here is the original email to the ATF about the CLEO and who they are.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=3757&highlight=ATF+CLEO+local+police

From "Buonocore, Peter J." Block Sender | Block Domain
    Date 2007/05/24 Thu PM 04:05:46 CDT
    To coinboy
    Subject RE:

The Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) would that of the local law
    enforcement office. If you live within city limits and have a city
    police department, the CLEO would be the head of that department. If
    you live outside of the city limits, the CLEO would be the head of the
    county police. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to
    contact us.

I just got my application .....

Im a little confused I live in Montgomery County , in the city of Rockville. We have a city police force. I called the non emergency line to ask for the CLEO's information and explained what I needed the information for. The person on the line said that the chief never receives this kind of paperwork and that I should try the state police. Well I know the state police don't handle this , called the county non emergency line and was told to talk to the Rockville city police.. so i guess im getting the run around but im 95% sure this needs to be sent to the Rockville chief of police.

Anyone in my area already go through this ?

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    i think the ink color is just to make it more redily obvious it's an original sig. i remember reading that somewhere too. blue works for me i guess.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Im a little confused I live in Montgomery County , in the city of Rockville. We have a city police force. I called the non emergency line to ask for the CLEO's information and explained what I needed the information for. The person on the line said that the chief never receives this kind of paperwork and that I should try the state police. Well I know the state police don't handle this , called the county non emergency line and was told to talk to the Rockville city police.. so i guess im getting the run around but im 95% sure this needs to be sent to the Rockville chief of police.

If you ask the state police they will say they are the CLEO and to send it to them.
    People here have sent to the MSP before and I even did for my original license.
    HOwever, do what you feel right. You do not need their permission, you just have to send it to the CLEO. If they toss it in the trash then it is not your problem because you fufilled your obligation. Most people include a cover letter explaining why it was sent to them though and odds are they will just send it on to the MDSP anyway.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

She lied, because that's where I sent mine!

T. N. Treschuk
    Cheif of Police
    Rockville City Police
    Department of Public Safety
    111 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850

It's fine to send it there.

Mark

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    There are no rewards in buying a C&R handgun or C&R "assault rifle" in the state of Maryland. You must follow all state laws and record the acquisition in your bound book even though you could not use your license to purchase the said firearm
    Are you saying that I cannot purchase C+R handguns with my C+R in the state of MD and have them shipped to my house?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Are you saying that I cannot purchase C+R handguns with my C+R in the state of MD and have them shipped to my house?

Yes and no. It is not Coinboy saying this, but supposedly the state of MD. YOu must be "importing" into MD from outside the state in order to be able to and a purchase within MD would be a regular regulated firearms purchase to the state. YOu woud still havet o enter it in your bound book regardless though.

Two scenarios:

-You buy a C&R handgun from Aim Surplus or a citizen of another state which is located outside the state of MD and have it shipped to your house using your C&R, you are "importing" as a licensee and you do not have to do the regulated process. (when I called the MDSP they told me I can buy C&R handguns from out of state and someone even got a letter back from the state AG's office saying basically the same and the letter is linked in the OP)

-You want a C&R handgun from another MD resident living accross the state, you will have to go through the MDSP or a regulated firearms dealer.

I am not a lawyer, but this is the general consensus and it is what many practice. There wil be a few people, especially one particular dealer who will not be named, who claim you cannot order from out of state, but they fail to explain why the AG's leter is incorect and they never cite anyone from the MDSP as saying anything different. If you want to double check, then by all means call the MDSP firearms licensing division, but make sure you speak to a sergeant.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    interestingly enough, within this past year, i have seen some pretty awesome guns from the WWII era.

thanks to coinboy, i have just sent my request for the application to the ATF through the link he provided.

thanks again! :beer:

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    interestingly enough, within this past year, i have seen some pretty awesome guns from the WWII era.

thanks to coinboy, i have just sent my request for the application to the ATF through the link he provided.

thanks again! :beer:

:party29: Prepare to be broke when you get your license.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Anyone have a recent time line for getting the C&R after the Feds cashed the check? I sent the App on the 15th of Sept, on the 22nd they charged my CC for $30. How soon until I can go broke?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Anyone have a recent time line for getting the C&R after the Feds cashed the check? I sent the App on the 15th of Sept, on the 22nd they charged my CC for $30. How soon until I can go broke?

At this point it is luck of the draw on when because the latest theory is they process them in batches. Some people got theirs two months later and some who put theirs in just over a month after they did got them at nearly the same time. It seems as if a lot of people on this board are getting them at the same time as others regardles of when they put it in, but expect the maximum time to be from six weeks to three months. The average still seems at this time (now that they sem caught up from early this year) to be six weeks, but there is a small chance you will get it way before six weeks is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom