• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    And also have read that Mayor Bowwow wants to make the dispersal of tear gas illegal in the district. Sure, get rid of an effective mob control and replace with what? Rubber bullets? Bean bags?

That gem of legislation is from council member Brianne K. Nadeau. She is about as procrime/anti law enforcement as it gets.

Bowser will probably sign it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Office of Police Complaints, two civilian members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Council – one who has experienced the use of force by a law enforcement officer and one member of the DC Bar in good standing

Let it be written! "There was never a suggestion of two more impartial arbiters than this."

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    There is a lot rolled into that bill. One thing that stands out is officers cannot review their body cam to write reports. This will be a loophole for criminals if the officers recollection is not 100%. No ones recollection is 100%.
    Yea, not sure i understand the logic here. Why can't you review video footage before writing the report?

Otherwise, I'll write i came, observed suspicious activity and arrested subject. That will be the amount of detail in my reports.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Yea, not sure i understand the logic here. Why can't you review video footage before writing the report?

Otherwise, I'll write i came, observed suspicious activity and arrested subject. That will be the amount of detail in my reports.

I think the "logic" of the idea is if the police officer does something outside of protocol, he will not know if it was caught on video so he has to put it in the report. Also he cannot write the report to suit what the video shows.

It comes from a place that assumes cops are the criminals.:rolleyes:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I think the "logic" of the idea is if the police officer does something outside of protocol, he will not know if it was caught on video so he has to put it in the report. Also he cannot write the report to suit what the video shows.

It comes from a place that assumes cops are the criminals
    .:rolleyes:

Projection from the councilperson and mayor, no doubt...

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017

I think is will be a tool to say "Got ya" you forgot that!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Stand by for force reduction

IIRC MPD has a pending shortage of officer due to retirements. Murders have been trending up for the last ~7 or so years. Neighborhoods like Columbia Heights that were rapidly improving have been trending downward. Among the residents I know (even the ACAB leftists), MPD is highly respected and appreciated.

Effective policing saves lives of all races. This is ABSOLUTELY the wrong decision for all of DC. :mad54:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    IIRC MPD has a pending shortage of officer due to retirements. Murders have been trending up for the last ~7 or so years. Neighborhoods like Columbia Heights that were rapidly improving have been trending downward. Among the residents I know (even the ACAB leftists), MPD is highly respected and appreciated.

Effective policing saves lives of all races. This is ABSOLUTELY the wrong decision for all of DC. :mad54:

They added an updated bill and the bill passed. Now just arguing amendments.

I’m so glad i have my 10 years, that’s all I’ll say. Resume will be being updated.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No munitions for riot officers just passed. So when folks are launching explosive devices DC police can’t throw tear gas or pepper spray.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    No munitions for riot officers just passed. So when folks are launching explosive devices DC police can’t throw tear gas or pepper spray.

Whats the point of having them out there if they can't defend themself and disburse a crowd?

Why not take cops guns and issue billy clubs? It's coming. Sad times.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

So what tools are remaining? Night sticks and flashbangs?

Tear gas gives potential rioters a chance to reevaluate their decisions BEFORE they turn violent. It is the humane choice. I guess we can go straight to asp batons. :rolleyes::sad20:

Whoever wrote or voted for that law has never seen the development of a riot.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    They added an updated bill and the bill passed. Now just arguing amendments.

I’m so glad i have my 10 years, that’s all I’ll say. Resume will be being updated.

If you would have scored a few points higher you could have been a Fireman.:lol2:

I kid, I Kid.

Not reaaly:innocent0

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is a great example of HOME RULE gone bad. These folks are not governing. Instead they are presiding over the Cognitive destabilization of society.

As much as I dislike the stupid things Congress does, the District did run much better under a city manager hired by Congress prior to Home Rule. Or maybe it's due to the District following the norm of other cities run for decades by the Democrats...dysfunctional...run down...high crime...filthy...gangs...you name it. If it's run by Democrat machines it sucks.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    If it gets to bad the feds might take over the PD again and dc has no say how the police dept is run..

...but isn't that the left's plan, to have local police, that are part of, protect and care for their communities, replaced by federal policing ?

A while back, Camden, NJ had to scrap the entire PD and start over. With more trust, and closer community ties. Once again, the opposite of the left's agenda works best.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So what tools are remaining? Night sticks and flashbangs?

Tear gas gives potential rioters a chance to reevaluate their decisions BEFORE they turn violent. It is the humane choice. I guess we can go straight to asp batons. :rolleyes::sad20:

Whoever wrote or voted for that law has never seen the development of a riot.

They are debating that force size now. We are supposed to be around 4000 they want to reduce to 3500. No outcome on that yet, as i know.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Do they not realize that much of their money (besides our taxes) comes from the tourism and hospitality industries? Nobody will go there who doesn’t have to do so. When this all goes down and DC has become another Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, etc; they are gonna lose a metric sh!t-ton of money. Then they will be dependent on the Fed government. They’ll probably ask for NG (unarmed) and this will get worse.

They complained about gentrification, they’ve found a way to stop that but at the expense of public safety

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I'm not gonna lie, I support some of these initiatives. Let retiring officers retire and don't backfill all those spots. Instead, hire therapists and counselors, and hire non-sworn personnel who can take reports over the phone. Occurred earlier crimes can be handled over the telephone by non-sworn employees. Calls for mental health or check-the-welfare can be handled by therapists and counselors. Don't respond to car collisions anymore, let insurance adjusters handle it. Stop sending armed officers to calls that don't require them. We have turned the police department into something it was never intended to be. Police should only respond to criminal offenses. Neighbor dispute, send them to arbitration. Out of control child, send them to Department of Juvenile Services.

If citizens and politicians want to downsize police, lets do it through attrition and make these other agencies handle the slack. I doubt it will work though. The first time a huggy-feely therapist goes to check the welfare of a druggie who assaults them, they won't want to come back. Minor crimes will sky-rocket and housing values will plummet. Anyone remember New York City in the 70's and 80's, before Giuliani was Mayor and focused on crime? That is what this country will quickly plummet into.

If that's what they want, lets do it.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm not gonna lie, I support some of these initiatives. Let retiring officers retire and don't backfill all those spots. Instead, hire therapists and counselors, and hire non-sworn personnel who can take reports over the phone. Occurred earlier crimes can be handled over the telephone by non-sworn employees. Calls for mental health or check-the-welfare can be handled by therapists and counselors. Don't respond to car collisions anymore, let insurance adjusters handle it. Stop sending armed officers to calls that don't require them. We have turned the police department into something it was never intended to be. Police should only respond to criminal offenses. Neighbor dispute, send them to arbitration. Out of control child, send them to Department of Juvenile Services.

If citizens and politicians want to downsize police, lets do it through attrition and make these other agencies handle the slack. I doubt it will work though. The first time a huggy-feely therapist goes to check the welfare of a druggie who assaults them, they won't want to come back. Minor crimes will sky-rocket and housing values will plummet. Anyone remember New York City in the 70's and 80's, before Giuliani was Mayor and focused on crime? That is what this country will quickly plummet into.

If that's what they want, lets do it.

That’s not what’s being done in this bill. Did you read it?

https://mailchi.mp/d1b5bf25c337/update-on-police-reform-bill?e=21c26876e0

^^ Here’s the added amendments (+ the OP)

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I can't get it to open on my phone right now. When I get home, I'll try to open it. I was talking more generalities than specifics of this DC bill thou.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom