• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have seen some okay, some nice and some downright hideous stippling jobs on Glock pistols. I do understand and appreciate the desire of some folks to customize their own possessions. I also know that there are many diverse opinions on the subject. And, I am NOT here to tell anyone what to do... or not do to what is theirs.

However, When considering the idea I have come to the conclusion that I do not want a stippled Glock pistol. Now why do I say that? Well... I know that things break. I also know that things are sometimes replaced or repaired by the manufacturer under certain circumstances. I also know that there are certain things which once done by the customer, will forever release the manufacturer from any and all liabilities for all damages and responsibility for their products.

All over the web in many forums I see one constant in this subject. That being the admonition that "stippling VOIDS the Glock warranty".

So... now you've paid for that new soldering iron at Walmart and you got your courage level up to "Dammit Imma do dis" speed... your virgin Glock in hand and a maniacal stare... and there you go... "STIPPLED... YEAH... LOOK AT DIS PEEPS!!! I am the stippling King..." Your friends are slapping you on the back and saying all manner of good things about how it looks...

THEN... you go to the range and have some shooting time between you and your newly customized pistol... All goes well for a while and you pull the trigger one day and hear a loud click or POP... Taking the pistol apart, you see a problem with an internal part that WOULD HAVE BEEN covered under the Glock warranty. It is broken and has turned your pistol into a $500.00 paperweight.

When is it wise to intentionally do something which you KNOW is going to leave your gluteus maximus exposed to the ill winds of winter?

I just looked at a Glock pistol... Seriously considering the purchase... Ready to say SOLD to a decent price offering... Only to find out that the current owner VOIDED THE DAMN WARRANTY! :sad20:

Any Glock pistol can be returned to Glock Corp and receive an entire refitting of new internals... EXCEPT one with a customer altered frame.

Why F that up? :shrug:

[/rant]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    or stipple away.. Take your chances with a very dependable pistol, and buy a cheap part on the remote chance it breaks.

seems like a fair trade if you gotta do it.

I'd bet better than even money you never have a problem.

I don't stipple my 2 Glocks. I like them the way they are BTW.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Why not keep the warranty and use 3m traction tape for bare skin. I bought the same stuff talon grips are made of with enough material to make grips for 20 pistols.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Why not keep the warranty and use 3m traction tape for bare skin. I bought the same stuff talon grips are made of with enough material to make grips for 20 pistols.

My thoughts as well... That way there is no question about the warranty issue. Heaven forbid a kaboom should happen and the Glock Corp be completely absolved of any responsibility in the matter because of a stippled frame.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    or stipple away.. Take your chances with a very dependable pistol, and buy a cheap part on the remote chance it breaks.

seems like a fair trade if you gotta do it.

I'd bet better than even money you never have a problem.

I don't stipple my 2 Glocks. I like them the way they are BTW.

I also like mine as they are. :thumbsup:

Another aspect is the drop in resale value... :shrug:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    why would stippling void the warranty? I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that it makes no sense. It'd be like voiding a car warranty because you had it repainted a different color or a truck that you had rhino liner put on.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    why would stippling void the warranty? I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that it makes no sense. It'd be like voiding a car warranty because you had it repainted a different color or a truck that you had rhino liner put on.

Give me a soldering iron and about four seconds and I can make your GLOCK frame completely useless.

That is to say, someone who doesn't exercise enough caution can accidentally make the frame too weak to use. It's not dummy proof. I've not stippled any of my pistols, and I can't see doing so in the future (Talon Grips FTW), but someone who is so inclined can end up with a nice texture if they are careful. Or a brick, if they're negligent.

Like anything else, common sense rules. There's precious little of it around, it seems, so GLOCK covers their ass and reasonably excludes Bubba's stippled pistol from warranty coverage.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I thought it was just cosmetic. Didn't realize you could actually damage the gun. Stupid Glocks :P

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I thought it was just cosmetic. Didn't realize you could actually damage the gun. Stupid Glocks :P
    You didn't realize that heat can damage/alter plastic? Where were you during science classes in school?

This is not just a Glock thing it can be done to any gun with non metal parts. Like many that you own.

Why don't you texturize a dashboard on one of those cars you are always talking about? It might be considered damage? What do you think?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Why don't you texturize a dashboard on one of those cars you are always talking about? It might be considered damage? What do you think?

hmmm, might just have to try it :lol:

I actually did something like that when I was a kid, probably 7 or 8. I took the cig lighter in my grandmother's oldsmobile and tried to make the Olympic rings on the dashboard. No one was too pleased about that :spank:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Glock will say you possibly weakened the frame, which could cause a malfunction,. The gun was not designed or tested with stippling.

That's what their lawyer will say.

kinda like modifying a car, changing it's handling characteristics, then blaming the manufacturer.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Give me a soldering iron and about four seconds and I can make your GLOCK frame completely useless.

That is to say, someone who doesn't exercise enough caution can accidentally make the frame too weak to use. It's not dummy proof. I've not stippled any of my pistols, and I can't see doing so in the future (Talon Grips FTW), but someone who is so inclined can end up with a nice texture if they are careful. Or a brick, if they're negligent.

Like anything else, common sense rules. There's precious little of it around, it seems, so GLOCK covers their ass and reasonably excludes Bubba's stippled pistol from warranty coverage.

It's only stated to be a year warranty requiring a returned warranty card or proof of purchase, void with any alterations, or use of reloaded ammo. Guess we shouldn't install night sights, connectors or shoot reloads either, well at least for a year;) While their warranty may not be great, GLOCK customer service is, haven't seen many GLOCKs with factory issues, but the couple I did were repaired at no charge, one had sights, a connector, and mild stippling, sent back after about 2 years. GLOCK replaced the locking block and slide stop then shipped it back to my neighbor without charging. My G20SF came with a 9mm extractor, they sent the correct part to me free. My experience with GLOCK as a company, and their products have validated my love for their brand.

My GLOCKs and XD(M)/XD(S) are grippy enough without added stippling, especially my Gen 4, so never saw a need. My M&Ps are a bit slick, but between using them for IDPA SSP, and not normally carrying them, I left them alone. My little slippery Kahr PM9 benefitted greatly from Talon grips, and I would use them long before stippling on anything that felt too slippery to me. There is a fine line between too slick, and uncomfortably sharp or abrasive, most stippling jobs I have seen tend to be too much IMO.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't disagree with Roadawgs conclusion, it's wise. I would contend that if glock had never put those stupid finger grooves, or made the trigger guard so fat that most users would never consider a dremel or stippling.

IMO, they should have made the Gen 4, a Gen 1 grip profile with RTF texturing and a railed dust cover, and leave the Gen 3 Internal design as is.

Those who decide to dremel or stipple should test the gun well to be sure the firearm works if you decide to make modifications. If you do the work yourself practice on a Glock knife, magazine loading tool, or the case.

IMO, the best stippling work done is performed by cold bore customs. He is a LEO and does amazing work.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't disagree with Roadawgs conclusion, it's wise. I would contend that if glock had never put those stupid finger grooves, or made the trigger guard so fat that most users would never consider a dremel or stippling.

IMO, they should have made the Gen 4, a Gen 1 grip profile with RTF texturing and a railed dust cover, and leave the Gen 3 Internal design as is.

Those who decide to dremel or stipple should test the gun well to be sure the firearm works if you decide to make modifications. If you do the work yourself practice on a Glock knife, magazine loading tool, or the case.

IMO, the best stippling work done is performed by cold bore customs. He is a LEO and does amazing work.
    I prefer the Gen 2 Glock's. Finger grooves work for some folks and not others. I only own one Gen 4 (G21), while I like it just fine it is not near my favorite Glock.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

NO...

It is equivalent to taking a cutting torch to your steel or aluminum frame pistol to alter the appearance and then trying to get the manufacturer to pay for damages when the frame fails to hold its parts.

Rhino liner does not change the structural properties or strength of the metal it is applied to. Heating the frame of the Glock pistol to alter the surface texture does have the potential to weaken the frame.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I guess I don't understand what stippling is. I thought it was just putting little bumps in the plastic to give it more grip

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom