Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2021, 07:56 AM #1
KIBarrister's Avatar
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
KIBarrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
Electro-etching

Requires raw stainless or aluminum, but for anyone not familiar, a relatively low cost to get BATFE compliant engraving of reasonably high quality. After some research I found that the current available best option is a machine known as the “personalizer plus” which best price around and in stock is from Texas Farrier Supply (here - https://texasfarriersupply.com/shop/...ne-kit/p/13497 )

I’ve been testing it out on some less valuable items (e.g. a couple old yeti tumblers, some scrap aluminum) and gotten great results. I’m hoping to use it to mark a few more relevant items this week and I’ll update with pictures. For now, here is a test engraving I did to appease the Mrs below. Hoping anyone not aware of this option for marking might find it interesting (and those of you that have done it before, if you have any tips I’d be happy to hear!)
Attached Images
 
__________________
Looking to politicians to fix problems is like looking to an undertaker to save a heart attack victim - they’ll just fake it and make a profit for themself afterwards.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 08:56 AM #2
Rab1515's Avatar
Rab1515 Rab1515 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calvert
Posts: 1,955
Rab1515 Rab1515 is offline
Senior Member
Rab1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calvert
Posts: 1,955
How does the masking process work? I assume this works the same way as ECM, I have done and fired barrels that way. To bad it wouldn't work for anodized stuff.
__________________
MD, AZ CCW
Member: NRA, MSI
Designated Collector
Rab1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:12 AM #3
KIBarrister's Avatar
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
KIBarrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab1515 View Post
How does the masking process work? I assume this works the same way as ECM, I have done and fired barrels that way. To bad it wouldn't work for anodized stuff.
Correct, no go on anodizing. I am using a Cricut to make vinyl templates on the fly that are as custom as you want. Dog fight ink will also sell a host of roll mark stencils to make a clone. I just weed the vinyl stencils I make, use transfer paper and mask the edges with electrical tape. When I get to the intended use in the near future I will post a few pictures to document the process.

I’ve seen people use a few batteries and salt water, but the results seem to be hit or miss (as I understand it, DC works well to etch in the manner of a deep engraving, and than AC actually renders the mark black)
__________________
Looking to politicians to fix problems is like looking to an undertaker to save a heart attack victim - they’ll just fake it and make a profit for themself afterwards.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:18 AM #4
Joseph's Avatar
Joseph Joseph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Clinton MD
Posts: 2,138
Joseph Joseph is offline
Senior Member
Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Clinton MD
Posts: 2,138
How do you control depth and is it consistent throughout the pattern you are etching?
__________________
-----------------------------------------------



Ή ταν ή επί τας

Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things - M.H.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:22 AM #5
magnumpi's Avatar
magnumpi magnumpi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westminster MD
Posts: 280
magnumpi magnumpi is online now
Member
magnumpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westminster MD
Posts: 280
I have done a couple lowers and Yeti cups. I just used a auto battery charger, Qtips, and vinegar and salt as my solution. It was easy and they turned out great. I was wondering if this would be deep enough to satisfy NFA engraving rules?
magnumpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:27 AM #6
bratgirllcp's Avatar
bratgirllcp bratgirllcp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Grasonville MD
Posts: 1,630
bratgirllcp bratgirllcp is offline
Senior Member
bratgirllcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Grasonville MD
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIBarrister View Post
Requires raw stainless or aluminum, but for anyone not familiar, a relatively low cost to get BATFE compliant engraving of reasonably high quality. After some research I found that the current available best option is a machine known as the “personalizer plus” which best price around and in stock is from Texas Farrier Supply (here - https://texasfarriersupply.com/shop/...ne-kit/p/13497 )

I’ve been testing it out on some less valuable items (e.g. a couple old yeti tumblers, some scrap aluminum) and gotten great results. I’m hoping to use it to mark a few more relevant items this week and I’ll update with pictures. For now, here is a test engraving I did to appease the Mrs below. Hoping anyone not aware of this option for marking might find it interesting (and those of you that have done it before, if you have any tips I’d be happy to hear!)
That's a nice touch good job!
bratgirllcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 10:05 AM #7
KIBarrister's Avatar
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
KIBarrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
How do you control depth and is it consistent throughout the pattern you are etching?
Basically consistency of application pressure and count time electric is applied. On something flat the size of a roll mark it is way to keep it consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
I have done a couple lowers and Yeti cups. I just used a auto battery charger, Qtips, and vinegar and salt as my solution. It was easy and they turned out great. I was wondering if this would be deep enough to satisfy NFA engraving rules?
If you use the correct solution, current and time yes. The machine I linked to is an upgrade from the model below it specifically to hit NFA requirements or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratgirllcp View Post
That's a nice touch good job!
Cheers!
__________________
Looking to politicians to fix problems is like looking to an undertaker to save a heart attack victim - they’ll just fake it and make a profit for themself afterwards.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 07:53 PM #8
KIBarrister's Avatar
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
KIBarrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
Managed to get markings done for the 2011. Absolutely meets (and exceeds) NFA depth requirements. I need to clean these up with a 400 grit equivalent wire wheel to unit on the color (the black is residue as I didn’t mark with AC, but only etched with DC). Damned happy with the results (results attached as well as the templates while plucking the vinyl).
Attached Images
   
__________________
Looking to politicians to fix problems is like looking to an undertaker to save a heart attack victim - they’ll just fake it and make a profit for themself afterwards.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 08:15 PM #9
teratos's Avatar
teratos teratos is offline
My hair is amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bel Air
Posts: 38,411
teratos teratos is offline
My hair is amazing
teratos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bel Air
Posts: 38,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIBarrister View Post
Managed to get markings done for the 2011. Absolutely meets (and exceeds) NFA depth requirements. I need to clean these up with a 400 grit equivalent wire wheel to unit on the color (the black is residue as I didn’t mark with AC, but only etched with DC). Damned happy with the results (results attached as well as the templates while plucking the vinyl).
What machine are you using to cut the stencils?

Looks fantastic!!!
__________________
Quote:
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 08:24 PM #10
KIBarrister's Avatar
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
KIBarrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island/Centreville
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
What machine are you using to cut the stencils?

Looks fantastic!!!
Thank you my friend! Cricut Maker with their brand of “premium permanent vinyl” - my wife spared no time in making fun of me for buying a cricut machine
__________________
Looking to politicians to fix problems is like looking to an undertaker to save a heart attack victim - they’ll just fake it and make a profit for themself afterwards.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2021, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service