• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ankrklankr

I think it is a rope gun or a line launcher gun. used to launch lines to other ships or maybe grappling hooks.

I don't think so...line guns generally have a very short barrel with a drum like container hanging from the fore stock which contains the coiled line that is fired across to another vessel or the pier.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It looks like a Lewis Gun. Note the semi-circular housing in front of the trigger guard, where the Lewis has its odd clockwork-type spring and also the odd cooling fins at the breech area.

battle_Isurava.jpg

320px-Lewis_gun_St_Thomas_4.JPG

The "stovepipe" around the barrel you see in the photo is supposed to aid in air-cooling. It is removable.

I hope it's transferable, and that the OP's friend is able to get the paperwork and tax stamp worked out. Otherwise is's bound for the cutting torch.

Last edited:
    I am with Threeband.
    It looks like a Lewis Gun, with the radiator casing removed (this would explain why there is no forward sight) and the aluminum radiator fins modified to only dissipate heat in a small area.
    The gear casing (protrusion on bottom of receiver and in front of trigger guard that rotates and synchronizes the drum) is the "dead giveaway".

Source:
    http://www.allworldwars.com/Lewis-Automatic-Machine-Gun-1916.html

Cool gun, if it's real........and registered.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Very cool LMG, invented by an American, used by everybody except the Americans. U.S. Military was too stupid and "conservative" to adopt it. That's why we ended up with Chauchat machine guns while the British had the Lewis.

The Lewis was the first machine gun fired from an airplane, in an experimental demonstration at College Park, Maryland in 1912. They were widely used on aircraft in WWI.

170px-ChandlerKirtlandLewisGun.jpg

That housing in front of the trigger guard actually holds the operating spring, which is a clock-work type spiral coil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Gun

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    It looks like a Lewis Gun. Note the semi-circular housing in front of the trigger guard, where the Lewis has its odd clockwork-type spring and also the odd cooling fins at the breech area.

battle_Isurava.jpg

The "stovepipe" around the barrel you see in the photo is supposed to aid in air-cooling. It is removable.

I hope it's transferable, and that the OP's friend is able to get the paperwork and tax stamp worked out. Otherwise is's bound for the cutting torch.

Believe Lewis is the correct answer.....:innocent0

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ok, it is definitely a Lewis gun, minus the 47 or 97 round drum, and without the cooling shroud of the British infantry model. Could be Belgian since thay produced them first. However it looks like it is actually a British version with the shroud removed, because you can see the cooling fins where the back of the shroud ends. Plus it has no front sight, which would have been on the shroud. The rear sight would have been a flip up blade sight so it might be folded down. A stock means it was not an aircraft gunners model nor the model used in the first tanks. Likely worth a lot of money in restored condition.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Can anyone identify this rifle? A friend of mine will be inheriting it from a deceased relative after their estate is closed and asked me for help identifying it. Sorry the photo quality is not the best.

Thanks for all your help.

I've seen this once.

About 1984, maybe 1985. A big guy wanted to buy one in a gunshop.

This is a Phased Plasma Rifle, in the 40 watt range. Very rare.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Calling August1410! Please ask your wife if this was her rifle from Return of the Jedi.

For those that don't know Joe is married to a Wookie.

I think Perrin is on it, it's a "wookie wacker".

battle_Isurava.jpg

I gotta' go with Threeband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom