• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I told my dad I was going to buy an SKS as my first C&R purchase.

I had done trigger jobs for him and a friend on their rifles and I became very impressed with the simplicity and reliability of the weapon when it is working properly. My friend's was a complete cleaning and setup as it was still in the cosmoline, none of the parts matched, and parts were stuck together from corrosion.

Well, since dad doesn't shoot his Norinco SKS and he knew that I would appreciate it, he gave it to me today. Saved me at least $400.

I brought it home and took it apart for a good cleaning and examination.

After taking a good look at the receiver markings, I discovered that this SKS has National Peoples Security Forces markings. From the research I have done, there is some indication that this may be more collectable than other SKSs. I found it was one of a pallet of new rifles that came through an importer in Georgia. The serial number indicates it was made in 1979.

I was wondering if anyone here can steer me toward a more definitive answer.

Gotta order some ammunition now. This is my first 7.62 x 39mm. Woohoo!:party29:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Pics of the markings? I know Lou45 had some Chinese police SKSs in his shop at some point and those sold for more money.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats on the new rifle. BTW, does you dad need any work done around the house? :innocent0

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Haven't taken any pics yet since I am waiting for him to find the bayonet and cleaning rod for it, but it looks like the one shown here:
    http://chinesesks.weebly.com/public-security.html
    Arsenal 0141 in the 24,00x,xxx serial range.
    The stock was not stored well and the finish feels a little rough, but is still not bad looking. He had a composite stock on it but I had to put the original back on.

montigre

May 16, 2016
    It's a pretty rare example as only about 3000 were imported and only by Keng’s Firearms Specialties (KFS) out of Georgia. They were manufactured specifically for the Chinese Public Security force. Here's some info about them: http://chinesesks.weebly.com/public-security.html

I have one with the /416\ Arsenal Code and the fit and finish are excellent. Nice gift from your father!!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Dad always had had nice toys. LOL
    Any speculation on the value? I would never sell it, just curious.

Without pictures you're not going to be able to get any more than a wild guess. A range would be between $300 and $700 if pristine.

We need pictures or you're going to lose 10 interwebs. ;)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    In the early 1990s, China North Industries (NORINCO) exported a number of surplus and newly-made rifles to distributors in the U.S. Many of the dealers in the U.S. were family of powerful Chinese players. Keng was one of the better-known because he was a big political contributor and schmoozed his way into the upper circles of American politicians. He also ended up slipping out of the U.S. just in time to avoid arrest (probably was allowed to get out to avoid a big scandal and trial). There were a few others who set up business in the U.S., then shut down and headed home in a hurry when it was discovered that some full auto firearms were being brought in with the legal stuff.

NORINCO did not manufacture arms, as many seem to believe. They were only a shadow company that exported firearms to convert to cash that was used to upgrade the Chinese military and police armaments. The manufacturers were a series of arsenals throughout the country.

Attachments

• Chinese_Army_Major_Arms_Dealer.pdf
      220.2 KB · Views: 100
    • Chinese_Weapons_Mafia.pdf
      177.8 KB · Views: 100
    • Execs_Indicted.pdf
      141.2 KB · Views: 82

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I met David Keng at a Lakeland Fl gun show in the 80's. He had a large table of Polytech Ak and SVD rifles for sale. We talked for abit, he was very knowlegable guy, I liked him.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    CHINESE KEEP UP GUN EXPORTS TO U.S.
    By Jay Mathews July 5, 1989
    Two Chinese trading companies controlled by army leaders, including one headed by the son-in-law of Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping, are continuing to export weapons to U.S. gun shops while fighting the Bush administration ban on U.S. sale of Chinese-made assault rifles, according to Chinese and U.S. sources here and in Beijing. Sale of Chinese ammunition, shotguns, pistols and other firearms in the United States was not affected by the ban imposed in March and would not be limited by a House bill passed last week to restrict China trade. The weapons flow has continued despite American outrage at the Chinese army's massacre of protesters in Tiananmen Square last month. Chinese officials and army leaders, seeking hard currency to modernize their military forces, remain eager to sell goods to the United States, the sources said, noting the administration's prohibitions against some U.S. sales to China would affect the Chinese far less than import restrictions. One of the two major Chinese dealers, Poly Technologies Inc. (Polytech), has helped to establish a major distribution company for Chinese arms in Atlanta with close ties to a U.S. company that is challenging the import ban on AK-47s and other Chinese assault weapons. Chinese and U.S. officials said Polytech's president, He Ping, is a son-in-law of Deng, China's senior leader, and has been the target of internal Chinese debate about alleged corrupt practices by relatives of high-ranking party officials. Asked to comment on Polytech sales activities in the United States and allegations of corporate corruption, a spokesman at Polytech's office in Beijing said, "I am sorry, but we need permission from higher authorities to answer such questions." Asked which authorities he meant, he said, "I am not sure." One foreign trader said He Ping was "doing a good job." He was described as a well-educated former army colonel who served for two years in the Chinese Embassy here as a defense attache. "There's no new money in the Chinese military budget for purchases of equipment abroad, so they have to sell what they can of their own equipment to have funds," said a foreign businessman who has dealt with the two Chinese arms suppliers. The other is China North Industries Corp. (Norinco). Several foreign and Chinese sources said executives of the two companies, like several others that sell Chinese government supplies abroad, have been accused of making large personal profits by taking advantage of the low cost of their products and exchange rates. No official of either firm has been charged publicly with wrongdoing. The businessman said the People's Liberation Army (PLA) is permitted to keep about 85 percent of what it earns in foreign sales, producing a flood of new ventures in the United States operated by former Chinese military officers shedding their green uniforms for suits and ties. China has a large supply of weapons available for export because the army has been trimmed by about 1 million members recently, creating an arms surplus. The suppliers are selling surplus weapons from army stocks or weapons manufactured by Chinese factories seeking new customers because the army has reduced basic equipment needs. "The PLA has a tradition of living off the land, and this is part of it," said a foreign arms dealer interviewed in Beijing. He said officers were so eager for cash that they were selling sightseeing rides of the Great Wall to Chinese tourists on helicopters recently purchased from the United States. Chinese sources and foreign businessmen in Beijing said the ban on assault-rifle sales has severely cut army revenue projections and forced China to seek new products for the U.S. market and AK-47 buyers elsewhere. As with other Chinese trading companies, Chinese arms dealers in this country have developed close relationships with U.S. companies owned or managed by American citizens of Chinese descent. One gun retailer who complained to a U.S. distributor about being short-changed on an assault-rifle deal said the distributor, a Chinese American, pleaded for patience. "He told me his mother still lived in Beijing and that his Polytech supplier was a PLA colonel," the retailer said. "He seemed to think that explained it all." Polytech and Norinco continue to advertise and distribute U.S. sales brochures for products not covered by the ban. Chinese firearms being sold in the United States to raise funds for the army include M1911, NZ75, Makarov and Tokarev pistols and Emei brand competition rifles. A spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms said 5,228 Chinese pistols and shotguns were imported into the United States in the 18 months ending March 31, the last period for which records are complete. Industry experts called such sales modest but said the Chinese are expanding advertising and looking for new product lines. Records of recent imports of other Chinese rifles were not available. AK-47 imports jumped from about 4,000 to nearly 40,000 annually in a three-year period before the Bush administration imposed an import ban March 15. Li Housheng, North American project manager at Norinco's Beijing office, said the ban "was unfair for us and our customers because our contracts are based on the licenses provided by the U.S. government" before the ban. Keng's Firearms Specialty Inc. of Riverdale, Ga., which has close ties to Polytech, has filed the largest suit against the import ban. The suit seeks permission to import about 20,000 AK-47s, including 4,000 being held by U.S. Customs that had received valid import licenses before the ban. Joseph Page, an Atlanta attorney representing Keng's, said the company hopes to overturn the administration's contention that AK-47s do not have legitimate sporting purposes. A Justice Department spokesman said a federal judge in Atlanta has not ruled on the company's request for a preliminary injunction so it can sell weapons acquired from Polytech in contracts totaling $6 million. A U.S. businessman familiar with Keng's said the company was started by David Keng, a Chinese-American importer who first contacted the Chinese when he offered to sell hundreds of antique weapons that the government had confiscated from private citizens in the 1950s. Keng's principal U.S. distributor is PTK Inc., a Georgia corporation whose president, Robert Bao Ping Ma, and vice president, Gary Yigang Zhou, are Chinese citizens, according to papers submitted in an Arizona court case. "Some Polytech people went to Atlanta and set up PTK," said an American who has dealt with the companies. Chinese and U.S. business sources familiar with Polytech and Norinco say the companies were established to sell Chinese products abroad and purchase military equipment for the army and are under Chinese military control. "But they do have different sources of supply and do compete on price and supply," a foreign arms dealer said. Polytech's Beijing headquarters is a suite of offices on the fifth floor of the towering new China International Trade and Investment Corp. building on the Avenue of Eternal Peace, about two miles east of Tiananmen Square. The company also has branches in Guangzhou and Hong Kong. Norinco's offices occupy a large brick building of older design in a distant part of southwest Beijing, with a modern, glass-walled reception and office area added in front. The principal difference in their weapons supplies are their sources. Polytech firearms come from army stocks, while Norinco sells weapons that were made by Chinese factories but have not reached the army. (Emphasis added by me.)

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Spent a couple of hours at dad's today looking for the bayonet and cleaning rod. No luck on that but I did find the sling and a really strange canvas rifle case that he said came with it. I haven't been able to find a picture of anything like it yet. It has zippers in the side and openings on the top between two shoulder straps and on each end. It looks like you could fire the rifle while it is inside the case by putting your hands inside through the zippered openings and the barrel can stick out the small end.

I cannot see how it would make carrying the rifle easy, but it would keep it dry.

Maybe someone here can identify it. No tags or markings at all, either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6dvmcu9m4muxkx/2017-02-26 09.06.56.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uflleffma2m1bjg/2017-02-26 09.07.19.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd8y7qbrpbipsft/2017-02-26 09.07.37.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/onvn1swflfl74d5/2017-02-26 09.10.26.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd