• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan

Jun 14, 2012
    Calvert
    I understand that there are probably a billion threads which might answer this question, if someone could answer this for me then I will happily delete my own thread. In a spur of the moment decision yesterday I purchased a S&W MP40, now it just hit me that with the huge backlog I might not take possesion of the gun until after SB281 goes into effect. I probably wouldn't have bought the gun if it meant going through all the b.s. and not being able to get the magazines.

Have I seriously screwed myself here? :sad20: What can I do?

Thanks for the assistance guys.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Depends on where you bought the gun and if you can fit their criteria for an "on time" release (not having to wait for a ND from the MSP)...

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    As long as it was purchased before 1 Oct you are good.
    Possession may not happen till after Oct (depended on where you bought it, and if they release on 8th day) but when you pay...purchase is made.

dan

Jun 14, 2012
    Calvert
    Okay well I don't know why I didn't think to contact the store, Tackle Box, I'll do that tomorrow, can you explain the criteria?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Okay well I don't know why I didn't think to contact the store, Tackle Box, I'll do that tomorrow, can you explain the criteria?

There's a thread here that shows dealers reported release policies: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=121404

The listing for Tackle Box in the sheet shows they are an on time release shop with a waiver you sign.

Recommend you call them to confirm. If the info in the sheet isn't correct, please post the updated info in the Live Update Thread so the spreadsheet curator can keep the info fresh.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is a cnversation that needs to be held with prospective FFLs before any money changes hands , or papers signed.

The completeing of transactions started pre Oct 1 , and finalized post Oct1 are writtrn into the law regarding soon to be Banned Rifles. Handguns are not directly addressed in the law. Certain OPINIONs have been expressed, but until the Regulations are promogulated nobody KNOWs. Logic would dictate that handguns would be treated similarily, but logic has little to d with Maryland.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is a cnversation that needs to be held with prospective FFLs before any money changes hands , or papers signed.

The completeing of transactions started pre Oct 1 , and finalized post Oct1 are writtrn into the law regarding soon to be Banned Rifles. Handguns are not directly addressed in the law. Certain OPINIONs have been expressed, but until the Regulations are promogulated nobody KNOWs. Logic would dictate that handguns would be treated similarily, but logic has little to d with Maryland.

SB281, which is effective 10/1, contains the following language in Section 117-1 (there is no exemption for sales prior to 10/1) specifically addressing handguns:

B) A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR TRANSFER A HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    There's a thread here that shows dealers reported release policies: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=121404

The listing for Tackle Box in the sheet shows they are an on time release shop with a waiver you sign.

Recommend you call them to confirm. If the info in the sheet isn't correct, please post the updated info in the Live Update Thread so the spreadsheet curator can keep the info fresh.

I was in tackle box yesterday. I asked them specifically if I bought a pistol could I pick it up in 8 days. They said they had a 500 purchase backlog and that they were working them all off before releasing any new purchases.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If you are only worried about the magazine capacity, it is an easy fix. If your FFL is willing, take the magazines now. There is no waiting period or background check required to take possession of magazines. I have done this before with owners manuals of new platforms. I wanted to know everything I could before I took possession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom