• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    This is my first season hunting with a crossbow. My son said I should consider getting a crossbow backpack to help consolidate transporting stuff through the woods. I'm not looking for anything elaborate; my hike from truck to blind is maybe 30-40 minutes or so.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There's such a thing?

Seriously, hunting backpacks are extremely expensive and I've found, not anywhere near worth what they cost. There are plenty of decent tactical 'day packs' out there that will fit the bill.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That was my exact response.
    But yeah its a daypack with some straps on the back to lash the crossbow on.

Just watch the prices. Most are rip-offs. I bought a "Badlands" day deer pack a few years back. It was almost $150 IIRC and it was complete crap! Whatever you do, I recommend you hold it in your hands, open all the zippers(using only your weak hand), and make sure it is what you need. I know you're an experienced hunter and all, I say this more for anyone else reading this.

Yeah, I used that POS for the last 5 years(to get my monies worth) but I'm finally dumping it this season.:mad54:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    This is my first season hunting with a crossbow. My son said I should consider getting a crossbow backpack to help consolidate transporting stuff through the woods. I'm not looking for anything elaborate; my hike from truck to blind is maybe 30-40 minutes or so.

My buddy uses one, and for the life of me I can't find the model. I'm pretty sure it's a Lone Wolf brand that carries his climbing tree stand (Summit brand not LW) AND his x-bow with pack too. He loves it, & he tells me it's literally saved his back. We too have 30 min +/- walks.

When he gets back to me I'll post the name of what he has, if you can't find it online. Great product, wish like heck I thought of it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    IMHO crossbow backpacks are ridiculously overpriced and extremely unwieldy. They are not as sturdy/stable as they look and you do not want to bump your scope ducking under some limbs or when you take that pack off. Get a regular backpack and lash it to the treestand. Maybe some padded backpack straps for the the tree stand. The key to saving your back is the position of the straps - too low or too high and you are killing yourself. Get a tactical strap for the cross bow, carry "low ready" style you are GTG. Set the crossbow down gently when you arrive, and you can let that backpack+treestand drop without worrying about the scope or strings.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I just sling my xbow over my shoulder and use the "chest strap" on my normal pack it keep it in place. Xbow's are very wide and my using a normal backpack and a sling it angles the xbow and allows it to fit in tighter areas that what a traditional "xbow pack" might allow.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I bought a knock off tactical pack off amazon. I love the loops and store extra stuff in the back and carry everything together

- Added snap clips on the bottom and roll by bibs in like a sleeping bag and clip them there. If I get cold its quick to put them on.
    - When cold I clip my blanket boots on the to the tack clips. Feet cold the day doesn't have to end.
    - Slide 1/2" conduit in the side on the tack clips and zip tied into place. Have a bow quiver that snaps on and off depending if I an archery, or gun, hunting.
    - adding two more side strap clips to be able to snap the turkey chair to it. I found last year with the gun I could hide in tall grass and the browse areas in the turkey chair better than in a tree.

Cost about $27 and the possibilities are endless for customization. I want to change the bow quiver to an enclosed tube type quiver but haven't found the right DIY design for me yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As a side note to this thread, I almost never sling a bow or gun when I'm in the field. The only time I will is when I'm dragging a deer. The only reason you'll see one on my gun is to be used in hoisting it up into my stand. As soon as it gets up there, the sling comes off.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm quickly learning this is a lot more work than sitting in a goose blind lol.
    I need one of those Sherpa guys.

I'm using a ground blind (for now anyway).
    Has anyone used a Blind Hog pack?

Maybe this with the crossbow slung forward like danb suggested?

https://www.amazon.com/1004990-Beard-Buster-Ground-System/dp/B003WHHH4A

When I said the crossbow was carried forward, I literally mean with something like this, standard 2-point sling: https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Two-P...&qid=1505153105&sr=1-7&keywords=2+point+sling

There are a number of ways to attach the sling so that the crossbow carries comfortably and does not turn upside down - how depends on your crossbow (I have picatinny rails, so I literally use AR attachments).

But maybe I misunderstood your comment... Any backpack can be attached to the treestand, maybe with a set of carabiners and/or paracord. I've used a cheap one from Wal-Mart for years until this year it finally failed and I got a new one. But sure, if you are hunting from a blind and need a chair, get a great big 80L hiking backpack.

Personally, I carry way too much so I have it down to a science.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    ^ I stuffed so much stuff in my BDU's Friday I thought my pants were going to fail down

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have to make two trips when I am dragging a deer, no matter what. Sometimes 3 or 4 trips. Can't fit more than 2 deer on my cart. :D

I know people take a cart in. If you are hunting a ground blind, probably no harm. Otherwise I don't want that cart on the ground to give the deer any warning. They are very suspicious of anything new.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Believe me guys. When I say "drag a deer", I'm talking dragging it to the nearest spot I can get my wheeler into. I used to use carts and still use them ever once and a while, but 4 wheeler does a much better job. You will NEVER catch me in the deer woods without a gun or bow though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Why not go for the Tenzing for $250. After all, it's named after a famous Sherpa.

Sorry. All better now. Have yo gone by a Dick's and checked there? That one you picked doesn't look very roomy. Of course that's only my opinion. I carry way too much crap into the woods. "I'm no Marine. I believe in my comfort." I go in the woods expecting to stay all day, whether I do or not.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have a sling pack with quiver. Its very roomy.

my problem with a barnett crossbow, was the quiver locked across the stock, requiring a big path and not suitable for brush.

since I got the Horton with the quiver inline with the stock, the problem ceased.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Walking Dead style is no good?

the-walking-dead-daryl-crossbow-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads