Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons

Notices

Old September 13th, 2017, 07:28 PM #11

Quote:
(c) Prohibited. —

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.
That sounds conveniently vague.

Would that include a folding knife with a 6-inch blade?

One could use almost anything as a dangerous weapon. If I use a CRKT M21-04 against someone who's attacking me, it's a weapon, no? But five minutes earlier it's a tool. How does that work in Maryland?
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:51 PM #12
Heh Heh - "Member"

Heh Heh - "Member"

So a fixed blade Buck hunting knife in its sheath, inside my hunting backpack, in the back seat of my truck (basically from Sept to Feb) would be illegal? But an unloaded Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm in a holster inside my range bag (right next to the aforementioned hunting backpack) on a Saturday to the range & home is okay? Is that fall into "gray area" or is the knife flat out illegal inside the pack?
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:57 PM #13
EXTREME GUN OWNER

EXTREME GUN OWNER

"(c) Prohibited. —

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person. "

Shall not be infringed, MFers.

The Chicago police department said the best way to defend yourself from a violent attacker is to vomit on yourself. I think flinging poo could work a little better. But NOTHING beats flinging LEAD!
WeaponsCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 09:41 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Steel View Post
That sounds conveniently vague.

Would that include a folding knife with a 6-inch blade?

One could use almost anything as a dangerous weapon. If I use a CRKT M21-04 against someone who's attacking me, it's a weapon, no? But five minutes earlier it's a tool. How does that work in Maryland?
This is what happens when you read only one line of a statute and fail to take into account the rest of that law, which includes definitions and exceptions. Had you done so, you would have seen that penknives are exempt. Reading a line or statute out of context doesn't take case law into account, which ruled all non-switchblade folders are penknives regardless of size and therefore exempt.

The use of any knife in self-defense is a separate matter. Whether it is justified is based on all circumstances and evidence, not just the knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
So a fixed blade Buck hunting knife in its sheath, inside my hunting backpack, in the back seat of my truck (basically from Sept to Feb) would be illegal? But an unloaded Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm in a holster inside my range bag (right next to the aforementioned hunting backpack) on a Saturday to the range & home is okay? Is that fall into "gray area" or is the knife flat out illegal inside the pack?
The matter of an actually concealed knife in a vehicle is not explicitly spelled out, but is generally taken to mean both concealed and "readily accessible" by an occupant.

In one instance a person I know (a college kid at the time) was pulled over for a traffic stop and asked if he had weapons. He thought about it and stated there was a dive knife in the glove box. The cops sweated him a bit, mock-arguing with each other about whether or not he could reach the knife very quickly from the driver's seat. They decided to not cite him for it and let him go.

Similarly, a knife dealer I spoke with once told me the story of being pulled over in MD with several hundred knives in his back seat and trunk, new stock for his store. The cop initially proceeded to lecture him about doing this, seemingly implying it was against the law. Should mention the dealer was Indian (and spoke with a heavy accent) and the cop might have been picking on him based on how rude he was for most of the stop. The dealer however was able to articulate a very good understanding of the law, stating all the knives were packed in boxes for sale and were obviously not intended for anything nefarious. The cop dropped the issue and let him go.

Case law indirectly supports these stories. In hundreds of cases, I have yet to find an arrest for a packaged or mostly unreachable knife in a car.

Last edited by glistam; September 14th, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
glistam is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons