• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BILGERATED

Feb 20, 2008
    Aberdeen
    Hey all! It's been a while and I hear there have been a few changes to Nfa trusts. Am I understanding that now the Grantor/trustee and co-trustees must each submit fingerprints and photos? Each person listed must submit a copy of 5320.23 to MSP? But the successor trustees do not?
    My current trust has been approved multiple times, I just want to see if it complies with the responsible/ non-responsible wording requirements.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes, the Grantor and cotrustees must submit prints and photos.

The new rules state that local law enforcement must be notified. This can be done by mailing a single copy of the completed form to your sheriff, The State Police or or other agency in your area. Then you check a box saying you notified them.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Is this for new trust purchase or do all trusts have to submit this? If the later, why was there such a rush to buy with trusts before the new law went into effect?

BILGERATED

Feb 20, 2008
    Aberdeen
    So, my understanding is correct. Now, would I send a copy to MSP or Harford county sheriff, or does it matter? Thanks!
    Bigdaddy, it was my understanding that it for new form 1&4s.
    Any good attorneys willing to look my trust over to see if will comply for a new purchase? And how much?

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    Look up Sean Cody NFA and talk to him. he is an attorney in Texas that does all my trust work and knows how to do all this stuff.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Guess I should be glad that all of my trust purchases are done.

This all pretty much nullifies the benefits of the trust other than the ability for multiple people to be trustees.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Is this for new trust purchase or do all trusts have to submit this? If the later, why was there such a rush to buy with trusts before the new law went into effect?
    It is for new trust purchases (all purchases for that matter) since the new laws took effect..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

This all pretty much nullifies the benefits of the trust other than the ability for multiple people to be trustees.
    It also helps with inheritance, but.. that is about it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No kids, and no people that I'm close enough to for that to matter.
    Not much benefit then. I got mine when there was, but no trustees, just inheritance in my interests. I will still use it for my future form 1's

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not much benefit then. I got mine when there was, but no trustees, just inheritance in my interests. I will still use it for my future form 1's

For me it was the combination of not suffering the indignity of the fingerprinting and photo, and that my wife as a trustee is not a felon by having access to things.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015

You can add and remove trustees at will. Your trust lawyer should have included instructions on how to do this without a lawyer. If you have several trustees, you might consider removing them, making your purchase, getting one person fingerprinted, then later adding trustees. I am not aware of any requirement to subsequently notify anyone of anything. The cheaper your notary and the more expensive your prints are, the more this makes sense. For one or two extra folks, I wouldn't bother.

Not that I'm recommending that you do anything to skirt the law, mind you. I am in fact encouraging you to follow the rules closely......

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Me too and yup.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Silencer Shop single shot trusts help with this as well. When you make a purchase you get a new trust specific to the new purchase and then you can add trustees after you get the stamp. So you end up with a trust for each NFA item and not needing to drop trustees or get pics and prints.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Silencer Shop single shot trusts help with this as well. When you make a purchase you get a new trust specific to the new purchase and then you can add trustees after you get the stamp. So you end up with a trust for each NFA item and not needing to drop trustees or get pics and prints.

That's pretty slick. :thumbsup:

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015

I like that idea!

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I am actually in need of a new trust, I did my own with will maker pro when I didn't have the money to have an official one done. That being said, I am looking to purchase a rifle can and with the above info, would the following work:

Get a new trust for the rifle can, get printed and pics taken of me, then add my other NFA items as well as additional members of the trust after the fact so no pics and prints are needed?

If so, I think that kills two birds with one stone where as I am the only one needing to run and get prints and photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom