• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My first Two shotguns were 16's . True 16ga guns are wonderful guns ( ie made on a proper 16ga frame vs on 12 ga frame ).

But strike 1 was Not being an approved Skeet gage.
    Strike 2 was the 20ga 3in mag becoming widespread .

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Off hand I have a French Darne sliding breech double, at least 3 Bayard/Pieper hammer double guns, and Stevens 520 pump that somebody re-checkered really fancy and a good job (I am probably forgetting one or three). 16's just feel good to hold especially double guns

Been on the lookout for a Darne for years but they grew in value faster than my pay grade. Saw one in a LGS when I was in HS and thought it was the most amazing action.

Look at the Antique arms show in March, its a great show for that kind of thing...I'm looking for a Charlin to complete the weird French thing with my Manufrance Ideals

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I was loaned a Ithaca Deer Slayer 16ga for Upstate NY southern zone deer hunting. Never shot anything with it other than the Cherry tree in my back yard, was fun to look at.

Enjoy your sixteens! Unfortunately, as was pointed out earlier, shell selection is slim, and ammo is expensive. If you're not shooting trap, skeet, or clays, the extra cost of the shells really doesn't matter.

I really like the 28ga, but affording it for targets is way too expensive - nearly 2x cost of 12ga.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    i have my ithaca model 37 16ga bottom eject pump action from back when i used to go pheasant hunting.
    I inherited my dad's model 37 in 16g. When I was a kid, it hit everything I aimed at. A couple years ago I decided to replace the lefthand safety with a rhand one, and while it was apart clean all the gunk out of the action - dirt that had been there since before I was born in the 1950s. I was going to save my dad's old lefthand safety, but accidentally threw it out with all the gunk. It was a sentimental experience.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Update:
    I scrounged around the house and came up with some 16 gauge shells including about a half box of paper shells and took that old Winchester 37 out on Friday. I had a blast and it seemed to shoot right where I was looking. Had a great afternoon I'll be taking it out more.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... Anybody else like a 16?

My wife’s late uncle gifted us a Savage sxs that he’d left in a case under his bed in So Louisiana while he travelled w the USAF Judo Team - for two years ... :sad20:

Several packs of steel wool and probably a quart of motor oil later I got all the deep, DEEP rust off the exterior of the barrels - the chambers and bores were and still are mirror bright - and the case hardened receiver somehow escaped any oxidation. I soaked the entire (rust free) action in kerosene while I stripped the original finish (and probably no mean amount of mildew :tdown: ) off all the wood and wound up using multiple coats of tung oil on all the wood, when finished.

Component shopping in Shydas one day, I snapped up a couple flats each of #8 and #7-1/2 only to find the barrels aren’t even close to resembling anything even remotely considered as “registered” to one another (we’re talking pattern centers multiple feet away from one another! :mad54: ).
    Since then I have somehow come across boxes of #4, #2 and even some slugs for it.

It now resides on a rack in the basement, the designated copperhead / pest gun for that floor of the house, a purpose at which it excels (as long as you don’t get too close to the copperhead or other pest; seems the bbls are choked “Full” and “Fuller!” :lol2:

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    I have two 16s. A Sauer Royal Grade (it needs a new trigger guard..) and a Stevens 311A. Love them both. No good pics of the 311, but here's the Sauer

IMG_0796%20copy.jpg

IMG_0797%20copy.jpg

IMG_0799%20copy.jpg

IMG_0800%20copy.jpg

IMG_0802%20copy.jpg

IMG_0805%20copy.jpg

IMG_0807%20copy.jpg

IMG_0810%20copy.jpg

IMG_0811%20copy.jpg

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    That Sauer is beautiful! Was the guard made of horn?

My Father swore that it was made of horn, but it turned out to be plastic ("Yo, Dad - horn doesn't have a line from the mold running down the middle of it..."). Snapped right at the rear screw hole. Gun was made in the mid-60s....

Craig J

Mar 14, 2020
    Yeah, I have three:
    1923 Stevens SxS
    1933 Ithaca Field Light SxS
    1963 Browning Sweet 16 Semi Auto (Belgium)

They were all In the family for decades, the Stevens for almost 100 years now. All are working field guns.

BTW, you can get 2.5” shells for a very reasonable price at Galazan.

Just sold a 1955 Montgomery Ward pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom